Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Diskusguppy
Diskusguppy began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
Angry KOBO TOUCH Keine Funktion mehr nach Reset

Nachdem mein eReader nicht mehr umblätterte, haben ich einen Reset durchgeführt, indem ich bei eingestecktem USB-Kabel die Hometaste gedrückt gehalten hatte und danach mit der Büroklammer geschaltet habe. Auf dem PC lief die Kobo Software. Das System stellte eine Verbindung zum Internet her und holte die neueste Version von der Kobo Homepage. Es läuft meines Erachtens bis zur Auswahl der Sprache ab. An der stelle funktioniert nämlich die Auswahl vom Bildschirm nicht mehr. Die verschiedenen Sprachen werden angezeigt und das war es.

Kann ich die Software manuel aufsetzen?

Wie ist die Dateistruktur?

Mein Softwarestand war 2.1.5 .

Mir scheint, die Software ist mit einer sehr heissen nadel gestrickt.

Ich hoffe mir kann jemmand helfen.
Diskusguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
For those of us that don't read German:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskusguppy (via Bing) View Post
After my eReader no longer flipping around, I have done a reset I had pressed the home button plugged a USB cable and then switched with the paper clip. The Kobo software ran on the PC. The system is connecting to the Internet and brought the latest version of the Kobo website. It expires I believe up to select of the language. On the selection of the screen instead works namely no longer. The languages are displayed and that was it.

Can I put the software manuel?

What is the file structure?

My software was 2.1.5.

Seems to me that the software is knitted with a hot needle.

I hope I can help jemmand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskusguppy (via Google) View Post
After my eReader not turned the page, I have performed a reset, as I had plugged in USB cable held the Home button and then I switched to the paper clip. On the PC running the Kobo software. The system would connect to the internet and got the latest version of the Kobo website. It is my view from up to select the language. At the agency that is no longer works on the selection screen. The languages ​​are displayed and that was it.

Can I put the software manual?

What is the file structure?

My software version was 2.1.5.

I think the software is knitted with a very hot needle.

I hope can help me jemmand.

Last edited by murg; 11-15-2012 at 07:19 AM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I find I must agree with Google on this one: The software was knitted with a very hot needle.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskusguppy View Post
Nachdem mein eReader nicht mehr umblätterte, haben ich einen Reset durchgeführt, indem ich bei eingestecktem USB-Kabel die Hometaste gedrückt gehalten hatte und danach mit der Büroklammer geschaltet habe. Auf dem PC lief die Kobo Software. Das System stellte eine Verbindung zum Internet her und holte die neueste Version von der Kobo Homepage. Es läuft meines Erachtens bis zur Auswahl der Sprache ab. An der stelle funktioniert nämlich die Auswahl vom Bildschirm nicht mehr. Die verschiedenen Sprachen werden angezeigt und das war es.

Ja (yes).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Pass auf, dass du das gute firmware (Kobo Touch, NICHT Kobo Glo!!!!) nimmst, sonst konnst du dein Kobo definitif kaputt machen.
(Take care that you get the right firmware (Kobo Touch, NOT Kobo Glo!!!!), otherwise you can break your Kobo definitively.)

Quote:
Ich kann dich hiermit nicht helffen (can't help you with this).

Quote:
Dass ist das letzte firmware. (this is the latest firmware).

Diskusguppy, auf Mobileread.com lauft auch ein forum auf deutsch, vielleicht kan jemand dir dort ins deutsch helfen:
Diskusguppy, on Mobileread.com is a german forum also, maybe someone can help you in german there:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Last edited by echwel; 11-15-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: fixing quote
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:

Mir scheint, die Software ist mit einer sehr heissen nadel gestrickt.

Ich hoffe mir kann jemmand helfen.
Okay, I get the gist, but not completely the exact problem. Diskusguppy, I'm hoping you do understand English as my German is not good enough to actually write. I understand you did a reset (a very harsh one, you could have tried the home button with the on/off slider instead of with the paperclip first), and the software downloaded via the Desktop app. After install you got the language selection screen on the Kobo Touch.

You ask if you can manually put on the firmware, you can, but I don't think that will solve your problem. It seems the firmware has successfully downloaded... What exactly is the problem with the language selection screen? From your post I understand several languages are displayed but that is it... Does that mean it's missing languages you would expect? Are you not able to select any language?

Perhaps you could elaborate, and maybe Echwel would be so kind to translate?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
What exactly is the problem with the language selection screen? From your post I understand several languages are displayed but that is it... Does that mean it's missing languages you would expect? Are you not able to select any language?
Perhaps you could elaborate, and maybe Echwel would be so kind to translate?
As soon as the language selection screen appears the application freezes.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thanks tshering. I'm afraid I don't know what to about that. Sounds like a very messed up database or faulty device. Hopefully some knowledgable person could comment and advise. In the mean time, what I would try, is a million resets in a row. That's what helped me when my Touch decided it didn't like me any more, and eventually, after a couple of hours of resetting, the Touch gave in and restarted nicely.

- slide and hold the on/off switch for at least 10 seconds to make sure the device is off
- hold down the home button and:
- slide the on/off switch once and let go, while still holding down the home button
- the LED light will start the white disco flashes, let go of home button

It's a different reset to the one you've been doing, maybe it will jolt something into working...

Also, maybe try a setup with the WiFi option instead of with the PC to eliminate issues there.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't really help.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Diskusguppy

The same problem

- slide and hold the on/off switch for at least 10 seconds to make sure the device is off
- hold down the home button and:
- slide the on/off switch once and let go, while still holding down the home button
- the LED light will start the white disco flashes, let go of home button

I proceeded exactly according to the statement. But the result is exactly the same. The touch screen responds absolutely not in the query languages​​. And thereby hangs the whole system
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Diskusguppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The touch screen does not respond to inputs

Es kann doch kein Problem darstellern, die Direktory eines laufenden Systems mittels Hardkopy anzugeben.

Gerät über USB an den PC anschliessen.
Explorer öffnen.
Direktory expandieren
Hardcopy der Struktur als JPG

t can not cast no problem, specify the Direktory a running system using Hardkopy.

Connect the device via USB to the PC.
Explorer.
Direktory expand
Hardcopy of the structure as a JPG

Last edited by Diskusguppy; 11-16-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Es kann doch kein Problem darstellern, die Direktory eines laufenden Systems mittels Hardkopy anzugeben.
t can not cast no problem, specify the Direktory a running system using Hardkopy.
The path is "{DRIVELETTER}:\.kobo\". The folder "upgrade" as well as the two files "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum" go there. Eject the reader and unplug the USB connection. The reader will take care of the rest. (Der Pfad ist "{DRIVELETTER}:\.kobo\". Der Ordner "upgrade" und ebenso die beiden Datein "KoboRoot.tgz" und "manifest.md5sum" gehören hierher.)
But I do not think that this will solve your problem. Irrespective of whether you prepare the upgrade manually or let the Desktop application do it, you have to select the language. And your reader seems to freeze at exactly this point. Maybe there is a bug in the recent firmware. (Ich glaube aber nicht, dass damit dein Problem gelöst ist. Gleichgültig, ob du den Upgrade manuell vorbereitest oder das der Desktop Application machen lässt, muss du die Sprache wählen. Und genau da lässt sich dein Reader ja nicht mehr ansprechen. Vielleicht ist an dieser Stelle ein Fehler in der letzten Firmware.)

What you could try is this.
1.) do a factory reset
2.) connect the reader to the computer, without running the Kobo desktop application.
3.) open the file "{DRIVELETTER}:\.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite with a Database Browser, execute the following code
Code:
insert into USER values("foo", "foo", "foo", "foo", "foo");
and save the changes.
4.) Eject the reader and unplug it.
Now the origial firmware should run on your reader. Select your language and what else is necessary. If it works, connect the reader to the computer, run the desktop application and let it install the latest firmware.

(Was du versuchen kannst, ist dies:
1.) mache ein Factory Reset.
2.) verbinde den Reader mit dem Computer, aber ohne dass die Desktop Application läuft.
3.) öffne "{DRIVELETTER}:\.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite mit einem Datenbankbrowser, führe folgenden Befehl aus
Code:
und speicher die Datei.
4. Melde den Reader ab und trenne ihn vom Computer.
Nun sollte die ursprüngliche Firmware auf deinem Reader laufen. Wähle die Sprache und was sonst vielleicht noch notwendig ist. Wenn das gut geht, verbinde den Reader wieder mit dem Computer, ruf die Desktop Application auf und lass den Reader auf die neueste Firmware updaten.)

Last edited by tshering; 11-17-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Diskusguppy

Keine Änderung

(Was du versuchen kannst, ist dies:
1.) mache ein Factory Reset.
2.) verbinde den Reader mit dem Computer, aber ohne dass die Desktop Application läuft.
3.) öffne "{DRIVELETTER}:\.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite mit einem Datenbankbrowser, führe folgenden Befehl aus
Code:
und speicher die Datei.
4. Melde den Reader ab und trenne ihn vom Computer.
Nun sollte die ursprüngliche Firmware auf deinem Reader laufen. Wähle die Sprache und was sonst vielleicht noch notwendig ist. Wenn das gut geht, verbinde den Reader wieder mit dem Computer, ruf die Desktop Application auf und lass den Reader auf die neueste Firmware updaten.)[/QUOTE]

Bin genau nach Anweisung vorgegangen. Nun erscheint wieder ein Sprachauswahlmenue. Diesmal aber mit einem Auswahlfeld, und darunter dem Button für die Bestätigung. Es läßt sich aber weder das Pulldownmenue noch die Bestätigung aktivieren. Der Touchscreen reagiert in keinster Weise.

Mit der Hardcopy des Systems meinte ich aber alle Verzeichnise und die jeweiligen Inhalte.

Ich wollte informationshalber die aktuellen Verzeichnise meines Kobo Touch als JPG einfügen, weis aber nicht wie.

In der Struktur eines laufenden Systems könnte ich vielleicht erkennen wo das Problem steckt. Eventuell fehlt nur ein Treiber für den Touchscreen.2
Old 11-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Mit der Hardcopy des Systems meinte ich aber alle Verzeichnise und die jeweiligen Inhalte.
Ich hatte schon verstanden, was du meintest, dachte aber, dir mit dem was ich geschrieben hatte, besser helfen zu können. Die Systemdateien liegen nämlich auf einer Partition, auf die man über USB-Verbindung nicht (direkt) zugreifen kann. Eine kurze Beschreibung der Partitionen und deren Funktionen findest du hier. Das bezieht sich zwar auf ein älteres Modell, dürfte aber auch auf den Kobo Touch zutreffen.

Quote:
In der Struktur eines laufenden Systems könnte ich vielleicht erkennen wo das Problem steckt. Eventuell fehlt nur ein Treiber für den Touchscreen.2
Bei einem Factory Reset werden, nehme ich zumindest an, die nötigen Treiber von der Recovery Partition auf die System Partition übertragen und falls ein neuerer Treibere verwendet werden sollte, von einer Upgrade-Datei nachgeladen. Nach einem Factory Reset müssten also alle Treiber, die ursprünglich auf deinem System waren, wieder installiert sein. Dass bei dir der Treiber fehlt oder defekt ist scheint mir daher eher unwahrscheinlcih. Man könnte vielleicht an einen Hardware-Fehler denken. Falls dein Gerät noch unter Garantie steht, solltest du es vieleicht austauschen.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Diskusguppy

Kein Hardwarefehler

. Man könnte vielleicht an einen Hardware-Fehler denken. Falls dein Gerät noch unter Garantie steht, solltest du es vieleicht austauschen.[/QUOTE]

Es kann sich nicht um einen Hardwarefehler handeln. Den im Zuge des Updats, wird einmal ein Symbol eingeblendet auf das geklickt werden muss um das Compilieren und Linken des Kernels zu starten. Ich würde ja gerne einige Bilder einfügen. Aber offensichtlich kann man diese weder anhängen noch einfügen. Über den Button "Insert Image" kann man nur einen Link einfügen. Habe jetzt auch den Hersteller angeschrieben. Mein Problem ist nämlich, ich wohne in Thailand und das Gerät hat mir ein Bekannter aus Wien mitgebracht. Also wird ein Umtausch ziemlich Aufwendig und teuer.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Didn't this part of the forum used to be in English only ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Es kann sich nicht um einen Hardwarefehler handeln. Den im Zuge des Updats, wird einmal ein Symbol eingeblendet auf das geklickt werden muss um das Compilieren und Linken des Kernels zu starten.
Falls sich das Symbol und die Sprachauswahlliste nicht im selben Bereich des Bildschirms befinden, könnte man noch immer annehmen, dass in einem oder mehreren Bereichen des Bildschirmes die Infrarotlichtsender oder -empfänger nicht arbeiten (fehlende Spannunng? Verschmutzung?). Wäre schön, wenn man die Sprachabfrage und etwaige weitere Abfragen überspringen könnte, um zu sehen, ob der Touchscreen dann (zumindest in gewissen Bereichen) funktioniert.

Irgendwoher muss das Gerät ja wissen, ob es diese Dinge schon abgefragt hat oder nicht. Mir ist aber nicht bekannt, wo es diese Information hinterlegt. Auffällig kommt mir zumindest in "kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf" der Eintrag
Code:
showFirstTimeExperience=0
vor.
Vielleicht bedeutet das, dass die Spracheinstellungen usw. nicht mehr abgefragt werden. Falls bei dir ein anderere Wert als Null steht, kannst du ja probieren, ob eine Änderung etwas bringt.