Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
Rylon
Hungry Polar Bear
Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi + 3G
Angry The Drama of Radio Dramas

I love radio dramas. I think it's a curse. Like, in a previous life I was a silent film producer who wouldn't make the transition to talkies and now I enjoy an art form that's difficult to find and poorly classified as punishment for my unwillingness to change with the times.

Anyways.

So once upon a time there as a company called Mind's Eye that made a radio dramatizations of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit The Lord of the Rings. They aired on NPR and, at the time, people liked them. You may have seen the LOTR version for sale at a bookstore. It came in a big wooden box filled with cassette tapes. Later, it came in a slightly less big box filled with CDs. The Hobbit box was also big and made from dead trees.

Treebeard would not be happy.

Sorry.

Anyways, I'm looking for the these on Amazon and I get to the LOTR version. And, on a lark, I look at the reviews. The most helpful reviews are both for an expensive print version. One review dispensed with a review of the book itself and launched into a discussion of the merits of the various print editions you may come across. Most of the reviews I read seemed to reviews of the book and not this specific adaptation.

'Cause that's exactly what this is, an adaptation. No one's reading the book. It's no more Tolkien's work than the movies. Yet radio dramas are continuously labeled audiobooks and categorized with them. I don't know why. It's not like someone wishing to listen to book would be happy to buy and adaptation instead. And if someone was looking for an adaptation, and got a single person reading, they'd be disappointed to.

The BBC adapted the entire Sherlock Holmes cannon for radio, and it can be difficult to find them at libraries because don't always differentiate between an audiobook and a radio drama.

And don't get me started about trying to find Dirk Maggs radio drama about Spider-Man. Spidey's MIA with regards to that.
Rylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it is annoying that Amazon lump reviews of all the different versions of a product together.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but if you're a lover of radio drama, the BBC have a dedicated radio station: BBC Radio 4 Extra, which plays nothing but drama (and comedy) 24h a day, and it's all available world-wide via the BBC iPlayer web site, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Isn't there a link on amazon where you can click and choose to show only the reviews for that particular edition?
I was sure I saw a link like that.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If you're also looking for older radio dramas you might try at:MysteryShows
They have over 45,000 of the real thing for listening. Most are in a members area, but they only ask for a small, one time donation (to help defray costs) in order to get access. I helped update their catalog listings a few yrs back.
The List And no I don't get anything for referring someone to the site.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylon View Post
I love radio dramas.
If you like "old-time" radio, here is a link that will take you to the Internet Archive Audio Archive. I remember listening to radio shows, including such shows as The Lone Ranger, The Jack Benny Hour, Amos 'n Andy, rather than watching TV, which was in its infancy as a widely distributed commercial tool. I still prefer to listen to the radio shows than to watch TV.

Audio books are also available through the Archive.

Best of all -- everything is FREE!!!!!!! (and also legitimate/legal).
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
If you like "old-time" radio, here is a link that will take you to the Internet Archive Audio Archive. I remember listening to radio shows, including such shows as The Lone Ranger, The Jack Benny Hour, Amos 'n Andy, rather than watching TV, which was in its infancy as a widely distributed commercial tool. I still prefer to listen to the radio shows than to watch TV.

Audio books are also available through the Archive.

Best of all -- everything is FREE!!!!!!! (and also legitimate/legal).
True there are some OTR shows there too. The only reason Mystery Shows charges even the small, one time fee for access is because it's a privately owned website, and the guy who maintains it uses the donations to help pay for more media and the upkeep. Those who are visually impaired don't even have to pay the fee if I remember right.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Harry, I think you will find that to get the BBC iplayer outside UK you need a VPN. I live in France, and all I can get without the VPN is World Service.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Harry, I think you will find that to get the BBC iplayer outside UK you need a VPN. I live in France, and all I can get without the VPN is World Service.
Interesting. From what I've heard from other people here at MR, TV is geographically-restricted, but the vast majority of radio isn't. Many of our American friends have had no problem downloading radio programmes.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Interesting. From what I've heard from other people here at MR, TV is geographically-restricted, but the vast majority of radio isn't. Many of our American friends have had no problem downloading radio programmes.
Yep; BBC Radio is completely accessible here in the US. If I try to access TV, I get this message:

Quote:
Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

One thing I've noticed about OTR, the shows back then are far superior (IMO) to what is often on TV today. Of course OTR programs do have kinship with the old village storyteller I think.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One thing I've noticed about OTR, the shows back then are far superior (IMO) to what is often on TV today. Of course OTR programs do have kinship with the old village storyteller I think.

I think the characters on older programming are often more human than in a lot of modern programming; they seem more like people you might actually meet. It's part of what makes The Twilight Zone so good.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm happy that the BBC is still so good when it comes to radio drama. I probably listen to more of it than I watch drama on TV.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm happy that the BBC is still so good when it comes to radio drama. I probably listen to more of it than I watch drama on TV.
Same here.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Rylon
Hungry Polar Bear
Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi + 3G
Smile

I knew posting here was a good idea.

Quote:
I honestly can't believe how great the BBC is with radio drama. I own some of their stuff via Audible and and CDs and such, but out in the US, radio is for music on FM, and talk (political talk) on AM. No one even attempts to make new stuff anymore. I think the last radio dram NPR ran was an adaptation of Star Wars decades ago.

Thanks for the tips about iplayer and old-time dramas. I'll definitely check them out.
Rylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylon View Post
Thanks for the tips about iplayer and old-time dramas. I'll definitely check them out.
Be sure to check out 20th Century Radio. It plays 24/7 and has a nice mix of OTR's. Here's the program schedule. You can listen on your computer or with apps such as TuneIn Radio and Shoutcast.

Quote:
Old time radio shows. The great OTR classics are back on the air! We broadcast superb radio mystery, adventure, suspense, comedy, old west drama, variety shows, etc. You'll find the best of the best streaming old time radio shows on 20th Century Radio!

Tags
audiobook, hobbit, lotr, radio dramas, tolkien