Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
Problem with p toolbar button

Version 0.6.902

I start with this:

<div class="hdg">
x
</div>

with the cursor at x. I click the p button, and this is what i wind up with:

<p class="hdg">x

</p>

Well, I just went back and checked, and the same thing happens with the h buttons, except the p is replaced by h1, h2, etc. I'm pretty sure this is not how it's supposed to work.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
Version 0.6.902

I start with this:

<div class="hdg">
x
</div>

with the cursor at x. I click the p button, and this is what i wind up with:

<p class="hdg">x

</p>

Well, I just went back and checked, and the same thing happens with the h buttons, except the p is replaced by h1, h2, etc. I'm pretty sure this is not how it's supposed to work.
AFAIK Yes, that is the way.
Pretty Print (save) will flatten what you see.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Come on, hitting the toolbar buttons erases the containing div, that doesn't make sense. I don't know what you're talking about with "Pretty Print (save) will flatten what you see."

Hitting the p button replaces div in both places with p...the div disappears, and all that's left is a p with class hdg.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can confirm that's been the behavior as far back as the 0.6.0 release.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Come on, hitting the toolbar buttons erases the containing div, that doesn't make sense. I don't know what you're talking about with "Pretty Print (save) will flatten what you see."

Hitting the p button replaces div in both places with p...the div disappears, and all that's left is a p with class hdg.
If you wish to WRAP the contents, use the Clip tool: there is a sample for P and DIV inclided:
Simply highlight the selection, and click/select (the clip item)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
JimmyG
Zealot

What on earth is the purpose of it?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
What on earth is the purpose of it?
To do what you said you wanted to do: Add a Tag pai.

Works the same as the Bold or other button on the reply screen of this board.

The H#, P buttons Change the existing tags from whatever to thenew value.
What is new (in 6.x?) is they keep the same class

Make my work flow easy
Change the tag
Then at the end, search and replace the NEW Tag with the OLD class.
Typical usage on unstyled chapter headings.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I admit, I don't really use those buttons much, but my understanding is that they are used to modify the current (cursor) block element for the most part. Sure, they'll create a new tag pair if you're not already inside a block element, but how handy is that really? Gui-only users often use them to promote normal paragraphs to headers and demote headers to normal paragraphs.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-14-2013 at 11:38 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Yes, this.

The Book View GUI is meant to provide basic editing abilities. Some things it does ok, some things not so good. div tags are something it doesn't do well.

The heading buttons + p button operate on the block element you are in, like the left/centre buttons. The Bold, Italics, etc. operate on the selection. So if you just click in the middle of a word and then click Bold, nothing happens - because you haven't selected any text. But if you just click in a word in a paragraph/div and click h1 then the containing block will be converted to an h1. Or a p if you click p.

The point of the heading+p buttons is really just to convert a line/paragraph from a heading to another type of heading or back to a normal paragraph.

If you are using divs, its best to use Code View.

Also note with Clips that they are really only best used in Book View for spans or other non-block elements - what you use on selected text. Trying to use a block level clip like p or div on a paragraph gets a bit messy as it deletes the existing block tag as it can't really tell where you are.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
JimmyG
Zealot

Okay, I got it, I think. I always work in Code View. The only time I switch to Book View is to see if something looks approximately right.

Way back when I first started using html I had an editor that had a whole slew of buttons in the same place. All they did what enter the opening and closing tag and position the cursor. Helpful for someone not used to typing tags. Now, it probably takes as long to move the mouse and click the button as it does to just type it.

But now that I think about it, I think I knew that the h buttons would change one to another. Just haven't used them in a while.

Thanks, everybody.