Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Recommendations in Branching Out

It seems that reading recommendations always go along the lines of similar styles and genres. If per say I was looking for a particular vein of fantasy books, it would not be so hard as to find other books touching on the same subject, same concepts, same whatever.

But the thing is, I've always found that I have a wide variety in taste. For example, some people confine themselves to particular genres of music, but I find that I can listen to almost anything and find something I like about it. Of course the same goes for the books I read, many of the books I've read fit into fantasy, science fiction, mystery, but I am sure that I would enjoy other books from other genres if I had some way of figuring out which ones would fit my taste. So that brings me to this.

Is there a possible to way to be suggested books of other genres based upon the books I've read now?

I'm 19, which when it comes to books does not particularly matter. But growing up I spent most of my reading in the young adults section and still do today. The thing is, I want to branch out, I want to read other things. It just seems that when I look at recommendations all I find are more of the same, just thought it was time for something different.

So for the books I've read as of late:
The Hunger Games & Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
- I quite enjoyed these books and would be particularly pleased to find something that is as addicting of a read.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- It wasn't until recently when I first read this book and I still have the rest of the series to catch up on, but anything that is just as comical or entertaining would be nice.

The Artemis Fowl Series by Eion Colfer
- Probably the first series to get me hooked when I was younger, I enjoyed the dubious nature of the title character and watching him develop. Character development is key in any series, so books like that would be great.

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
- I did not actually enjoy these very much, only reading them because my cousins were so crazy about them. But I found the characters here quite bland and boring, being to for lack of better term "Mary Sue-ish" and one sided. However I would be open to something that would change my opinion on supernatural romance in general.

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott
- I found these books to be a great spiritual successor to the Harry Potter series which I so enjoyed when I was a kid. Even though by the third book I felt it was getting repetitive in nature, I still enjoyed them.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- I'm really behind on the classics, but after watching the recent movie I finally got to reading at least some of the Sherlock Holmes stories by Doyle. His vain of mystery is much more enticing then modern ones, at least as far as I've discovered.

I know this may be a daunting question. The books we enjoy are completely subjective and differ from person to person. Some people may like the exact same books for the most part and yet completely differ on opinion of others. But I guess the question here is, for people who know of these books or books like these, what other kinds of books do you enjoy and how do you find them.

Last edited by AgentBEATS; 05-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Are you looking for paperback or digital recommendations?

Since you like the Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle have you checked out the Raffles stories of E.W.Hornung?

Also, Hal Spacejock since you liked The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Are you looking for paperback or digital recommendations?

Since you like the Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle have you checked out the Raffles stories of E.W.Hornung?

Also, Hal Spacejock since you liked The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
Either paperback or digital would be fine and thanks I'll check those out.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
kainne
Connoisseur
kainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-700
Try The Stand by Stephen King I think it is the best book he has written.
kainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainne View Post
Try The Stand by Stephen King I think it is the best book he has written.
Sounds good, I'll look into it. Thanks.
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ok, here are some of my suggestions:

"Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein. Get the later edition that included nearly 1/3 more that was published after the authors passing.

"Enders Game" - by Orson Scott Card. The first book and arguably the best.

"Hannibal" by Thomas Harris - Tells you how Hannibal The Cannibal from Silence of the Lambs became who he was.

Terry Pratchett - Disk-world Novels. Check out "Soul Music" or "Thief of Time". It's humor on the surface but pokes gentle fun at society.

"The Aire Affair" by Jasper Fford. Set in an alternate universe it entertains, but when finished you are tempted to go read Jane Austin, Shakespeare, and other classic authors to learn more about the stories touched upon in this book.

"The Rabbit Factory" by Marshall Karp. A surprisingly good murder mystery when a character in a LA amusement park is killed.

"Stephanie Plumb Novels" by Janet Evanovitch - Lightweight but entertaining series of books about a New Jersey women who loosing her job faces a choice: employment working the box machine at the sanitary products factory, or working for her sleaze-ball cousin who runs a Bail Bonds office by becoming a bounty hunter. Soon to be a movie staring Kathleen Hegel.

"Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) " By Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child : First in a series of books featuring a strange FBI agent. Many books by Preston and Child are well written and entertaining.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Ok, here are some of my suggestions:

"Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein. Get the later edition that included nearly 1/3 more that was published after the authors passing.

"Enders Game" - by Orson Scott Card. The first book and arguably the best.

"Hannibal" by Thomas Harris - Tells you how Hannibal The Cannibal from Silence of the Lambs became who he was.

Terry Pratchett - Disk-world Novels. Check out "Soul Music" or "Thief of Time". It's humor on the surface but pokes gentle fun at society.

"The Aire Affair" by Jasper Fford. Set in an alternate universe it entertains, but when finished you are tempted to go read Jane Austin, Shakespeare, and other classic authors to learn more about the stories touched upon in this book.

"The Rabbit Factory" by Marshall Karp. A surprisingly good murder mystery when a character in a LA amusement park is killed.

"Stephanie Plumb Novels" by Janet Evanovitch - Lightweight but entertaining series of books about a New Jersey women who loosing her job faces a choice: employment working the box machine at the sanitary products factory, or working for her sleaze-ball cousin who runs a Bail Bonds office by becoming a bounty hunter. Soon to be a movie staring Kathleen Hegel.

"Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) " By Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child : First in a series of books featuring a strange FBI agent. Many books by Preston and Child are well written and entertaining.
Thanks a lot, that is a lot more to read to add to my list. I had already intended to read Ender's Game, as well as Jasper Fforde's books and the Discworld series, but the rest are new to me.