Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Freckles
Freckles began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, ipod touch, awaiting Astak EzReader
NYTimes on ebook apps

Hi all.

I new here in the Apple forum, but found this article in the New York Times yesterday. The article gives an overview of ebook apps available for ipad, iphone and android devices. While nothing new or unexpected, I thought it might be useful for people new to reading on these devices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/te...ref=technology
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Hi freckles, and welcome to MobileRead! You may want to introduce yourself over here.

I'm a little disappointed with the article mainly because it seems like the author doesn't have a clear understanding of the situation. One thing he mentions is that you can read books purchased in the app store from apps like B&N or Amazon on a different device. He mentions this as a differentiating factor for Kobo.

Quote:
The company’s chief executive, Michael Serbinis, said that on the Kobo app, you could buy a book, keep it forever and read it on any other device you choose, excluding Amazon’s.
However, it is possible to read B&N books purchased in the app store on a Nook or the iRex DR800SG. Then the quote from B&N he follows it up with:

Quote:
A Barnes & Noble executive vice president, Jamie Iannone, said its books could be read on other apps too, like Kobo, as long as they used similar technology, but it had not tested that.
isn't really the same thing. Kobo books can't be imported to the B&N app either. There would have to be an import mechanism, and currently neither Kobo or B&N has an import mechanism to add books from other sources to your library. They probably could be imported to txtr, but that's not what the quote from Kobo is talking about.

So he sounds a bit confused to me.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Freckles

Thanks Nikkie!

I don't live in the US, so I don't use the B&N app -- it does sound like he is a bit confused. I do use txtr which is great for my Sony books with drm that I want to read on my ipod.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
tmurray
tmurray began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700BC
Hi Freckles -How do you get your Sony Drm protected books into TXTR? Thanks!
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Freckles

Well, this is how I load my books, though there may be an easier way!

1. On your PC log into txtr and create an account (it's free)
2. Create a private collection (I called mine 'ipod books')
3. Upload your Sony ebook to your private collection on txtr
4. Then open txtr on you ipod/iphone
5. Tap 'My Texts' to find the book you just uploaded. You can then download it to your device. The first time you do this, you will have to enter your Adobe account name and password.

Good luck!
Advert