Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
WePad is WeTab now

It was a nice move to "differentiate" themselves from Apple, but WeTab? Seriously?

Anyway, it's not looking bad.

http://wetab.mobi/en
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Assuming they can actually manage to release it on time and the performance is high enough then a price of €569 for the 32GB+3G version definitely seems quite interesting, but that whole hardware turning up thing is obviously the tricky part.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Assuming they can actually manage to release it on time and the performance is high enough then a price of €569 for the 32GB+3G version definitely seems quite interesting, but that whole hardware turning up thing is obviously the tricky part.
That would be comparable pricing to the iPad 32gb with 3G at current exchange rates if it makes it into the US market.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
That would be comparable pricing to the iPad 32gb with 3G at current exchange rates if it makes it into the US market.
Try looking at what apple are going to charge in europe and you will see it is a lot less comparable, a 32GB+3g ipad will actually set you back about €699 in europe.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Try looking at what apple are going to charge in europe and you will see it is a lot less comparable, a 32GB+3g ipad will actually set you back about €699 in europe.
I always wonder how much Apple has to pay in tariffs to sell products in the EU. Also in Europe, sales taxes are included in the price of the good. In the US, sales tax is added to the list price when you purchase.

In my state, the 32gb with 3G is $780 with tax. In California, the price is about $800. In Illinois, you'll pay around $813.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Annoyingly, the iPad is (or will be after May 28th when Apple has blessed us enough to sell it here) $50 more expensive in Canada even though local taxes (VAT in British parlance) are applied AFTER the quoted price at the cash register. Yet the Canadian dollar and US dollar are very close to "par" and there is no "customs duty" applicable on this sort of device entering Canada.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Nothing against the device, but did they have to hire a witless 14 year old ESL student to do their English marketing and copy? I hope they didn't pay much for it.

My German isn't so hot though, is the German version OK?

Last edited by LDBoblo; 05-09-2010 at 06:15 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Looking good.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Does the WeTab work in portrait mode?

I've noted this before, but the latest additions to the WeTab website, including the extended specification sheet here reinforce my concern.

I can't find any picture of the WeTab in portrait mode. I also don't recall seeing it demonstrated in portrait mode in the various videos. There's no mention of a portrait option on the website.

I've emailed the WeTab tech support requesting clarification on this.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Nothing against the device, but did they have to hire a witless 14 year old ESL student to do their English marketing and copy? I hope they didn't pay much for it.

My German isn't so hot though, is the German version OK?
What about the name? WeTab is actually an improvement, because WePad sounds like something you'd put down for your puppy before it's trained..

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
They coulda named it Wee-Wee and then used an iPad to soak it up.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with the WePad is the battery life. Apple has better battery life and unless anyone's tablet can have comparable or better battery life, it just cannot compete. I could not use a WePad on a flight to Scotland because the flight is longer then 6 hours and if I wanted to use it full flight, I'd be with a WePad with a dead battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I'm slightly unfond of the rebranding, as it's more akin to Weetabix than anything else.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
tneken
tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Does the WeTab work in portrait mode?

I've noted this before, but the latest additions to the WeTab website, including the extended specification sheet here reinforce my concern.

I can't find any picture of the WeTab in portrait mode. I also don't recall seeing it demonstrated in portrait mode in the various videos. There's no mention of a portrait option on the website.

I've emailed the WeTab tech support requesting clarification on this.

Graham
well the specs says it includes an Acceleration Sensor so i would guess that it also works in portrait mode
tneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I always wonder how much Apple has to pay in tariffs to sell products in the EU. Also in Europe, sales taxes are included in the price of the good. In the US, sales tax is added to the list price when you purchase.
The tax included in the price issue was why I mentioned the eu price for both since they both include taxes, anyway the actual prices aren't actually that important so I'm not even sure why you bothered with your inaccurate comparison in the first place tbh.