Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
uber1337h4xx0r
uber1337h4xx0r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Duokan 2012 version released

Hi all! I learned a few things about installing Duokan (the November 2011) from here, so I wanted to somewhat reciprocate by letting you all know that version 2012 was just released.

www.duokan.com

Unfortunately, I can't find it on the English site, so I'm a tad bit worried that it might only be in Chinese for now.

Edit: In retrospect, I went ahead and downloaded it anyway and read the installation guide in the zip file:

"How to select language from home screen?
1, use alt+sym
2. goes to Page #3, you can find the English as your choice."

I am rather excited! I'll install it once I get to school and let you know how it goes. Just for anyone wondering: I'm running a DXG with frankensteined 3.2.1 firmware. Technically this program is not designed to run on a DXG from what I've read, but we'll see if it can be forced through LaunchPad like last time.

Last edited by uber1337h4xx0r; 01-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.
uber1337h4xx0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

I'm interested.
Please let us know how it goes.
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
garyyoung
garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW1
The duokan website doesn't mention djvu (at least not in English). Has this been dropped in the newest version? (Or maybe I'm misremembering that the previous version supported djvu.)
garyyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber1337h4xx0r View Post
Hi all! I learned a few things about installing Duokan (the November 2011) from here, so I wanted to somewhat reciprocate by letting you all know that version 2012 was just released.

www.duokan.com

Unfortunately, I can't find it on the English site, so I'm a tad bit worried that it might only be in Chinese for now.

Edit: In retrospect, I went ahead and downloaded it anyway and read the installation guide in the zip file:

"How to select language from home screen?
1, use alt+sym
2. goes to Page #3, you can find the English as your choice."

I am rather excited! I'll install it once I get to school and let you know how it goes. Just for anyone wondering: I'm running a DXG with frankensteined 3.2.1 firmware. Technically this program is not designed to run on a DXG from what I've read, but we'll see if it can be forced through LaunchPad like last time.
like the last time? Is launching duokan lite on kindle DXG possible?
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
uber1337h4xx0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
like the last time? Is launching duokan lite on kindle DXG possible?
Well, thus far I've had no luck installing it. I even factory reset it to the "default" of 3.2.1 and tried removing the jailbreak just in case that was interfering.... No luck.
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

well i got the kindle lite home screen but the file names were blank and the keyboard was not responding (mapped to kindle 3 i guess). only option was to reset
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
uber1337h4xx0r

At this point I'm going to undo my frankensteined 3.2.1 install and go back to my original 2.5.8 firmware. With any luck, the new Duokan will work again...

I'll try to keep you updated. Sorry for the slow replies; I've been playing video games with my friends that I haven't seen in a while, so my attention is somewhat split between messing with the kindle and playing Smash Bros.

UPDATE:

I'm back to 2.5.8. The good news is I got my old Duokan running and unbricked my kindle. The bad news, as you've expected, is that my new Duokan refuses to run. I tried doing the method where I erase the old DK SYSTEM and replace it with the new, but when I do that, it just boots into Kindle OS instead of offering me a chance to go into Duokan. Oh well.

Any tips?

Last edited by uber1337h4xx0r; 01-06-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
reprep
Addict

nope. I've tried nearly every kind of installation and running methods and the furthest i got is the duokan home screen with the new lite logo and blank files.

It is a dead end forcing duokan lite (and i assume duokan 2012 too, though i haven't tried) on kindle DXG.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
uber1337h4xx0r

Okie dokie. Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking I'm supposed to make a new thread for this, but since it's probably answered somewhere already (I couldn't find it), I'll make less clutter by asking here:

I have the older November release of Duokan installed again [.5.13.8942 beta 520]. I want to try to crop out whitespace, and the folks at Duokan said this feature exists already. Do you know how I could crop out whitespace on a PDF? My options for zooming are greyed out for some odd reason.

Alternatively, can you tell me what they mean by these settings:

Show Enlarged PDF: *natural *up *down
TXT Full Screen: *on *off

I'm hoping one of those is the reason that I can't zoom or crop.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
brett
brett began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770/Palm TX
Could someone please explain to me in plain English how I download the latest version of Duokan and install it on my Kindle DXG?? The websites are in Chinese. The only other instructions I can find are in hackerese. I am lost! Thank you
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Could someone please explain to me in plain English how I download the latest version of Duokan and install it on my Kindle DXG?? The websites are in Chinese. The only other instructions I can find are in hackerese. I am lost! Thank you
If I am not mistaken, I haven't tried it, the latest versions don't work on the DX or DXG.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
zxcvbs
zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k3
Hi, i have installed Duokan 2012 on Kindle DX Graphite.

The main issues now, are keymapping. Some keys are missing. I have keydefs.ini on launchpad. But it doesnt work.
Same doing with k3 keystrokes (aboveall the fiveway controller) on ssh:

Code:
echo "send 92" > /proc/keypad
echo "send 92" > /proc/fiveway

echo "send 194" > /proc/keypad
echo "send 194" > /proc/fiveway
doesnt do anything.
It can open pdfs, but menu, fw_press, aa, up down arrows keystrokes are missing, or worse menus are broken.

Last edited by zxcvbs; 04-17-2012 at 02:19 PM.
zxcvbs is offline   Reply With Quote