Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
plisken
Enthusiast
plisken began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
The most open-sourced ebook-reader (SDK+extras)?

Hi,

I am looking for ebook-reader which has the best open-source attitude -- this would mean the OS is open-source (available for download), SDK (free as beer), bundled applications and so on. This availability is a sign for me that the device will live long because usually there is some community around to port this or that application.

Initially I am thinking about iRex DR100S because of the screen size, I need to see entire page at once without scrolling it.

I hope there is no some great Linux-based with KDE device on another side of the globe - only.

Thanks for your help! Cheers
plisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The DR1000S has some proprietary components in its reading system, but it does allow 3rd-party Linux apps to run and also to interface via is SDK. If the DR800 (Mainstream iRex 8.1-inch reader for 400$) uses the same O/S and SDK, which I assume it will, then that will greatly expand the user-base and, hopefully, the developer base.

The only completely open-source option I am aware of is Open InkPot, which has its own forum here. It runs on the Hanlin V3, as a replacement for the standard firmware, and will also be the pre-installed firmware on the Azbooka 516. There are no 3rd party aps for this device, in part because most existing apps require a pointing device to function. The DR1000S's pointing device is its touch screen. The Azbooka 518 will have a touch screen and might be a good target for further open-source development.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
plisken
Enthusiast
plisken began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Thank you for your help. I decided to buy DR100S after all and today... is a great day :-) It arrived. First impressions -- missing touchscreen, slow but beautiful reading. So far I am very happy :-)
plisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If the DR800 (Mainstream iRex 8.1-inch reader for 400$) uses the same O/S and SDK, which I assume it will, then that will greatly expand the user-base and, hopefully, the developer base.
What I've heard is that applications will be easily portable between the two.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote