Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh Wow! That sounds fascinating! I'd love to read something like that!

I don't know if you are looking for help/direction but there are a number of books (and probably websites) that target writing of this type of memoir/essay.
There are? Any advice would be appreciated Kenny.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
There are? Any advice would be appreciated Kenny.
I'll have to dig around a bit, and I don't really know the quality...maybe other's here do, but...

let me see what I can find. Give me some time....

I'm NOT a travel writer, nor do I play one on the interwebz...

Last edited by kennyc; 01-02-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let's see, I just found these things quickly:

www.freelancetravelwriter.com

Wiki: (not much there): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_writing

This looks useful (but article oriented): http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...-expert-advice

More ??:
http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-...-travel-memoir

http://b2b.meetplango.com/2011/04/so...travel-memoir/

http://www.namw.org/2011/06/writing-...om-the-get-go/

http://www.journeywoman.com/traveltales/topten.html

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/lis...l_writer.shtml

This looks like it has some good examples: http://www.besttravelwriting.com/btw...tories/memoir/

Last edited by kennyc; 01-02-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
sarahdalton
Enthusiast
sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle D00901
Here are my goals:

One full length novel in my 'Blemished' series (written, edited and published).

A novella in the 'Blemished' series (written, edited and published).

Edit and query my Nanowrimo from 2012.

And if that isn't enough, maybe write another Nano for 2013 to edit in 2014.

In between all that - market and promote my work! Something tells me it's going to be a busy year!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdalton View Post
Here are my goals:

One full length novel in my 'Blemished' series (written, edited and published).

A novella in the 'Blemished' series (written, edited and published).

Edit and query my Nanowrimo from 2012.

And if that isn't enough, maybe write another Nano for 2013 to edit in 2014.

In between all that - market and promote my work! Something tells me it's going to be a busy year!
Excellent!
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #21
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I feel a bit of a fraud for even visiting this area of MR as I am no writer and this will sound a bit silly but here goes.
Pffffft. You sound more qualified to be here than I do and I've been hanging around for years without being thrown out. You should come by more often. We're all doing different things and we're all at different stages of it.

Ratatouille is one of my favorite movies. I sometimes adapt the refrain in the movie to 'anyone can write'. I believe we all have a story to tell.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #22
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Pffffft. You sound more qualified to be here than I do and I've been hanging around for years without being thrown out. You should come by more often. We're all doing different things and we're all at different stages of it.

Ratatouille is one of my favorite movies. I sometimes adapt the refrain in the movie to 'anyone can write'. I believe we all have a story to tell.

Good luck.
Well thank you. I have started. Got the journals and bits of paper out of storage and put it all in chronological order. The first step.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #23
sarahdalton
Enthusiast
sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Excellent!
Re-reading that in the cold light of the morning looks a little daunting! And it's only the 3rd Jan!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdalton View Post
Re-reading that in the cold light of the morning looks a little daunting! And it's only the 3rd Jan!
You're not the only one and I didn't even think to include NaNo 2013 in my resolutions. Still I made some progress on part of one of my ideas last night and wrote nearly 500 words of a scene for it. I don't know exactly where in the book it will fit as yet but I made some progress. Although I haven't defined them yet I also created two minor characters for one of my majors to interact with. Her kids. I'm using the BIAM (Book In A Month) template for Scrivener that I found at the BIAM yahoo group to build the book. It will probably involve a lot of hard work to meet my goals, but I have a feeling there will be a lot of fun involved as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #25
kennyc

This is why we call them goals.

I did what I hope is a final revision on a memoir yesterday
and wrote about 500 words each on two separate topics...

I'm kinda thinking production-wise if I can produce 1000 words/day along with the other associated writing business (editing, marketing, planning, etc.) I can meet my goals.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-03-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is why we call them goals.

I did what I hope is a final revision on a memoir yesterday
and wrote about 500 words each on two separate topics...

I'm kinda thinking production-wise if I can produce 1000 words/day along with the other associated writing business (editing, marketing, planning, etc.) I can meet my goals.
Touche KennyC. Good luck with your writing goals in 2013.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #27
kennyc

Oh I didn't mean it in a 'Touche' way, just a comment.

Some people get all black and white about Resolutions, Goals, Tasks, etc.

I sort of gave up the resolution thing long ago and goals I think of as "what I might reasonably" accomplish, something to shoot for, not the stars, but maybe the ceiling.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Ah ok. I do take your point though. In order to reach the destination one must first define what/where that is. Hence setting a goal. I've not had a good track record of keeping up with resolutions either, but I figure if I can keep focused on small steps and use my new copy of Scrivener to best advantage I have a shot at reaching at least some of them if not all.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #29
sarahdalton
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You're not the only one and I didn't even think to include NaNo 2013 in my resolutions. Still I made some progress on part of one of my ideas last night and wrote nearly 500 words of a scene for it. I don't know exactly where in the book it will fit as yet but I made some progress. Although I haven't defined them yet I also created two minor characters for one of my majors to interact with. Her kids. I'm using the BIAM (Book In A Month) template for Scrivener that I found at the BIAM yahoo group to build the book. It will probably involve a lot of hard work to meet my goals, but I have a feeling there will be a lot of fun involved as well.
Good going! That's great progress.

I've tried to use Scrivener in the past but I don't take to it. I'm more of a pantser when it comes to writing.

Yesterday I edited 9 chapters of my novel. Today I've done none! I guess taking the rough with the smooth is part of being a writer.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
My goal is fairly conservative (I think). I just want to write about 150,000 new words this year, which breaks down to 3,000 words a week (with 2 weeks of vacation/margin thrown in just in case).
Closed Thread