Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Need help with Calibre and my new ($159) Kindle Fire

When I connect my new 2nd Generation Kindle Fire (the $159 one) via a USB cable Calibre 0.8.69 doesn't detect detect it. Whereas my friend's old Kindle Fire (same computer, same installition of Calibre) is detected by Calibre and Windows has assigned it a drive letter. His older Fire gets MOBI books from Calibre and places them in the documents folder and the Fire sees the books and lists them as books. But with my new Fire Calibre has no send to device icon and Windows ID's it as an external media player with no drive letter assigned, so I added the code:

Code:
test_mtp_driver = True
...and now Calibre has a send to device icon, but when I use it an author's subdirectory is put in the books directory and each title is put in a title subdirectory within the author subdirectory (just like the Kindle keyboard does in its documents directory). These books are not detected by my Fire.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
now Calibre has a send to device icon, but when I use it an author's subdirectory is put in the books directory and each title is put in a title subdirectory within the author subdirectory (just like the Kindle keyboard does in its documents directory). These books are not detected by my Fire.
Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface plugins. Select SmartDevice App Interface and click Customize plugin and uncheck the use sub-directories box, also change your Save template so it no longer has the the {author_sort}/ or {author}/ from the template. The / is telling the plugin to create a directory of whatever is before the /.

Kovid suggested the same to you three days ago as quoted in your post below.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can configure calibre to not create subfolders, change the template to

{title} - {authors}

by right clicking the device in calibre and choosing configure this device.
This doesn't help on my new 2nd Gen Fire ($159) as they still don't appear with the other books (or any other place I look). They only show up when they are in no sub-directory but are directly in the Books folder.
Also as you acknowledged in the below quoted post the default template will be changed in the next release of calibre.

Quote:
Quote:
Just a note: In the next release the default template will be changed to not put books into sub folders, as there are apparently devices made by some incompetent *cough*Amazon*cough* people that dont recognize files in sub-folders. So if you want to have books in sub-folders you will need to configure the device by right clicking on the device icon in the calibre toolbar when the device is connected.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191148
The only way my new Fire sees the book is if it individually placed in the Books folder.
It can all be confusing, the next version of calibre should default to no sub-directories.

Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface plugins. Select SmartDevice App Interface and click Customize plugin and uncheck the use sub-directories box, also change your Save template so it no longer has the the {author_sort}/ or {author}/ from the template. The / is telling the plugin to create a directory of whatever is before the /.

Kovid suggested the same to you three days ago as quoted in your post below.

Also as you acknowledged in the below quoted post the default template will be changed in the next release of calibre.

It can all be confusing, the next version of calibre should default to no sub-directories.

Good Reading.
Yes, he did and I did it and it didn't work - it dropped the subdirectories inside the author subdirectory (one for each book), but the books were all in the author subdirectory instead and the books still went undetected by the Fire. So I changed the string back and then decided to wait for the new version tomorrow, but I decided to post this new thread so Kovid could see that the string he suggested didn't work for my Fire.

Waiting for tomorrow's release.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, he did and I did it and it didn't work - it dropped the subdirectories inside the author subdirectory (one for each book), but the books were all in the author subdirectory instead and the books still went undetected by the Fire. So I changed the string back and then decided to wait for the new version tomorrow, but I decided to post this new thread so Kovid could see that the string he suggested didn't work for my Fire.
As I said it is all confusing. Not having a new Kindle Fire myself, it appears I may be both ignorant and confused about what you were experiencing. Onward to the new version with fingers crossed for luck.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Waiting for tomorrow's release.

It sounds like you still have a slash somewhere in your template. If so, there is an excellent chance that the new release won't fix anything for you because it changes the default. It won't change values added/changed by the user. If you changed the string, then as far as calibre is concerned you want the value you set, not the default.

It would help if we could see the template you are using. Go to preferences -> plugins -> device interface plugins -> MTP, copy the template there, and post it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I could be wrong but you might need to remove the save to template from the default save to as well as from the mtp plugin specific one.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It sounds like you still have a slash somewhere in your template. If so, there is an excellent chance that the new release won't fix anything for you because it changes the default. It won't change values added/changed by the user. If you changed the string, then as far as calibre is concerned you want the value you set, not the default.

It would help if we could see the template you are using. Go to preferences -> plugins -> device interface plugins -> MTP, copy the template there, and post it.
I...

1. copied and pasted the original string into a text file.
2. copied this string from Kovid's reply

{title} - {authors}

3. and pasted it into the (now blank) text box.

...as you can see there were no /'s in it and it did as I described earlier in this post.

If {title} - {authors} is now the default template string I doubt it will work for my 2nd Generation Fire, but I will, of course, try it.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I...

{title} - {authors}

...as you can see there were no /'s in it and it did as I described earlier in this post.

If {title} - {authors} is now the default template string I doubt it will work for my 2nd Generation Fire, but I will, of course, try it.
That should work. If not, where exactly did you save this template? There are multiple areas that have things called Save template.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
That should work. If not, where exactly did you save this template? There are multiple areas that have things called Save template.
....in a notepad generated .txt file.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I could be wrong but you might need to remove the save to template from the default save to as well as from the mtp plugin specific one.
We had the same template/subfolder problem with Calibre Companion and Kindle for Android. Changing the default in the wireless driver worked for new installs regardless of what was in the base send-to-device template.
Quote:
I...

{title} - {authors}

Where was this blank text box? And did you restart calibre after you made the change?

I apologize for being so picky, but calibre definitely will not create subfolders if there is not a / somewhere in the template. Therefore, calibre did not use the template you entered and the question is why. Something else is going on, and unless that something else is identified it is likely that you won't get satisfaction.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
We had the same template/subfolder problem with Calibre Companion and Kindle for Android. Changing the default in the wireless driver worked for new installs regardless of what was in the base send-to-device template.
Where was this blank text box? And did you restart calibre after you made the change?

I apologize for being so picky, but calibre definitely will not create subfolders if there is not a / somewhere in the template. Therefore, calibre did not use the template you entered and the question is why. Something else is going on, and unless that something else is identified it is likely that you won't get satisfaction.
The box wasn't blank till I cut the template string out of it (sorry I mis-stated in step 1, I cut not copied it then pasted it into a new text file where it remained till I restored it) and after applying the change (in two different places on the way out) I restarted Calibre.

Shutting down and going to bed now, so there'll be no more immediate replies from me.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There was a bug in the beta driver where the global template in Preferences->sending to device took precedence over the device specific one. That bug is now fixed, simply update to 0.8.70 and your problem should no longer happen.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Thanks Kovid.

Quote:
There was a bug in the beta driver where the global template in Preferences->sending to device took precedence over the device specific one. That bug is now fixed, simply update to 0.8.70 and your problem should no longer happen.
Thanks Kovid. I'll get on that this morning and report later today.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Calibre and my new ($159) Kindle Fire

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Kovid. I'll get on that this morning and report later today.
Calibre [0.8.70] now works with my 2nd Gen Fire as seamlessly as it does with my Kindle Keyboard and Kindle 2 and just like it works with my friend's original Kindle Fire.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad to hear it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote