Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Can I run Windows7 in my kindle?
Maybe not, but wait for Win8 (or Win9).

I do follow your argument above, just thought that you may not have heard that MS is rumored to be working on an ARM port of their main Windows product (WinCE has always run on ARM).

Evidently too many small devices are running ARM/Android for their liking. Lots of those units out there.

A bit:
But I don't think we can do much harm to this thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Maybe not, but wait for Win8 (or Win9).

I do follow your argument above, just thought that you may not have heard that MS is rumored to be working on an ARM port of their main Windows product (WinCE has always run on ARM).

Evidently too many small devices are running ARM/Android for their liking. Lots of those units out there.

A bit:
But I don't think we can do much harm to this thread.
I almost but an Asus Transformer Prime (android on arm), but I was waiting for the newer more-portable model with smaller screen (but same resolution). I was recently disappointed to see that it will be ONLY win8 (no android, not even dual-boot). Oh well, betamax lost out to crappy VHS, so that trend just continues with win8.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoecoles View Post
Pinged it in Network Utility. Results:
[...]
Network Settings:
[...]
Can't install nmap because it runs on Intel computers, mine is a PPC.
[...]
What should I do now?
Configure the network interface (on the Mac) with an IP address within the 192.168.15.0/24 subnet. Dunno how this specifically works on a Mac, I never bothered with those systems. But there will be settings for that, I'm sure.

-hwh
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Configure the network interface (on the Mac) with an IP address within the 192.168.15.0/24 subnet. Dunno how this specifically works on a Mac, I never bothered with those systems. But there will be settings for that, I'm sure.

-hwh
And then open the "Terminal" application,
confirm you can ping the Kindle at the USBnet hack assigned address;
once you can do that, use the "ssh" command line utility in the "Terminal" application to try the connection.
Do not go back to using that gui file manager application until you have the above working.

Note 1: The ;711 command on the Kindle is giving you the Wifi interface address, not the USBnet interface address.

Note 2: Once you have successfully tested the USBnet interface with ssh, then you can modify (and re-load) the iptables ruleset to allow in-bound connections from the Wifi interface on port 22.
Then you can test again by ssh'ing into the Kindle over Wifi.

Last edited by knc1; 06-19-2012 at 09:53 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote