Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
mrklaw
mrklaw began at the beginning.

Device: none
hold on, so the UK sony store isn't open?

Does it have direct access to e-libraries (main reason I'm considering this over a 2nd kindle)? If so, doesn't that need you to have your device 'Adobified' beforehand - which can't be done on device, but needs to use a PC?
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #17
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
That's correct, the UK store isn't open yet. Apparently it's coming early next year.
At present you need to use a PC running Windows or a Mac with OsX in order to register the reader with Adobe.

I tried using the US store instead, but kept getting errors - I don't know whether I got the errors because I had already tried mucking about with the UK store and the software on my work computer, or whether the US store performs some kind of regional lookup of your IP address.
To further make life difficult there are some restrictions on the type of firewall the PC can be behind; the firewall I have at work, for example, prevented the software from completing the registration step.

Once you -do- have the reader 'Adobified', it's great - I can now check out books from my local library (which is part of the London Library Consortium) as well as purchase eBooks from WHSmith etc. directly from the device, so there's no reliance on a PC for those tasks.

Cheers,
- Micha.
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #18
gentleice
gentleice began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, iPad (destroyer of eyes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwerle View Post
At present you need to use a PC running Windows or a Mac with OsX in order to register the reader with Adobe.

I tried using the US store instead, but kept getting errors
I Adobe-authorized my T1 (one week old tomorrow, yippee!) entirely via the ereader's wi-fi. While waiting for the reader to be delivered, I was reading about authorization issues for users outside of North America and giving myself conniptions since I was hell-bent on not installing the Sony Reader software on my computer.

But the authorization process turned out to be a breeze. During set-up, I simply indicated US as my location and signed up for a new account at the US Reader Store using my Adobe ID email address. Voila, Adobe authorized! All done without once connecting the reader to a computer and it worked a charm.

So, it does seem like you had errors with the US store because you had previously attempted linking to the UK store. I don't think there's any IP-tracking as I connected and signed into the US store from this part of the world (Singapore) without any trouble at all.

And boy, am I glad that I don't ever have to deal with the Sony Reader software! Everything I need to do can be done using Calibre, side-loading, or directly via wi-fi.
gentleice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #19
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Did the US Store allow you to purchase books?
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #20
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleice View Post
During set-up, I simply indicated US as my location and signed up for a new account at the US Reader Store using my Adobe ID email address. Voila, Adobe authorized! All done without once connecting the reader to a computer and it worked a charm.
That's excellent news for other people who can't, or don't want to, use the Sony software outside the US. Thanks for your sharing your experience!
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #21
gentleice
gentleice began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, iPad (destroyer of eyes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
Did the US Store allow you to purchase books?
Yes, but I've only tried doing this with a credit card that has a US billing address (fortunately, I have access to one). I suspect that using a non-US/Canada credit card will probably fail. I didn't want to take the risk, in case it messed up my device authorization.

Another good thing about indicating US as the location is ready access to Google Books via the T1's homepage. Although, it must be said that the quality of Google Books' epubs is questionable, to put it kindly.
gentleice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
online buying, online retailers, prs-t1, purchasing