Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Survey Reveals 49% of iPad Owners No Longer Want an eReader

Found this interesting article about a recent survey done on iPad users.

The findings were that iPads appeal to mostly females and new Apple users.

But the part I found most interesting was this segment here:

Quote:
According to the survey, 49 percent of iPad users said they would not be buying an e-reader now. More interesting was the fact that 38 percent said they wouldn't be buying a portable gaming device and 32 percent said they are not in the market for a laptop or netbook because of their iPad.
So, half of the iPad owners no longer want to consider buying an eReader. Considering the 3 million (?) iPads that have sold or will be sold.... that's a lot of people who have been eliminated as possible eReader users.

Another interesting bit was this

Quote:
For people who intend to buy the iPad, the main reasons are entertainment (58 percent), cool factor (42 percent), convenience (40 percent) and brand (28 percent).
I knew entertainment and "cool" had something to do with the iPad's success, but wow. Amazing. Plus, nobody even mentioned anything about utility or reading. "convenience" is somewhat vague. Convenient to do what?
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hmm... Rather meaningless without a statistic of how many iPad owners were interested in buying a dedicated e-reader before they had bought an Ipad.

Actually, I'm surprised they left out that question because it would have been the most telling point of comparison.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I think it actually is pretty good news for e-readers. Doesn't it mean that 51% would consider buying an e-reader? And many of these 51% probably never even thought about that before they got the iPad. So perhaps using the iPad and experiencing some of the shortcomings helped them warm up to getting a dedicated reader.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Hadel
Hadel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Hmm... Rather meaningless without a statistic of how many iPad owners were interested in buying a dedicated e-reader before they had bought an Ipad.

Actually, I'm surprised they left out that question because it would have been the most telling point of comparison.
I second that.
iPad was never about reading e-books, but about "coolness" and "iSomethingness"

They could also have added a question like:
"Do you consider buying now a water pistol?". I bet 80% would have answered "no"...
Hadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadel View Post
I second that.
iPad was never about reading e-books, but about "coolness" and "iSomethingness"

They could also have added a question like:
"Do you consider buying now a water pistol?". I bet 80% would have answered "no"...
Not if it is an Apple water pistol. They would be lining up for days before launch...
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Someone else posted this link to the same survey, with more info:

http://mashable.com/2010/07/08/ipad-usage-report/

As for "coolness": It's not something you can buy.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
... "convenience" is somewhat vague. Convenient to do what?
I'm guessing that convenience is determined by each owner. I wanted a tablet long before Apple announced one. My priorities were portable e-books, e-mail and Internet, with long battery life and access whenever I wanted.

iPad does a variety of things that buyers might want portably, such as games and movies. So if any of those features are of specific interest, they would be made more convenient to the individual buyer.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm not sure how useful these data are, excepting some of the market perception stuff. The "would not buy after owning an iPad" part is oddly phrased and doesn't appear to consider how many "would buy without owning an iPad".

However, since the iPad is an ebook reader, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. After buying an ebook reader, some people don't want to buy another one. Seems reasonable, though a bit out of character for the Apple buyer stereotype.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I'm not sure how useful these data are, excepting some of the market perception stuff. The "would not buy after owning an iPad" part is oddly phrased and doesn't appear to consider how many "would buy without owning an iPad".

However, since the iPad is an ebook reader, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. After buying an ebook reader, some people don't want to buy another one. Seems reasonable, though a bit out of character for the Apple buyer stereotype.
The stereotype seems questionable if one-third of buyers hadn't bought an Apple product before iPad.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
The stereotype seems questionable if one-third of buyers hadn't bought an Apple product before iPad.
Thus two thirds are repeat customers. That's pretty high. Further, they're gaining customers, and they even refer to the iPad as a "gateway" product.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Thus two thirds are repeat customers. That's pretty high.
Yes, as the link I reposted mentions, iPod helped bring many first-time customers to Apple. iPhone probably did likewise. I'm guessing that they're not selling tens of millions of devices on "coolness" alone. I think people found the devices user friendly. Look at how many dowdy people are walking around with iDevices. I think that's a bigger pool than the hip-and-trendy buyers, which there are, of course.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-09-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Thus two thirds are repeat customers. That's pretty high
Not really considering the ubiquitedness of iPods. I had't owned an apple product in over 15 years, and then got an iPod Touch. That is what convinced me to get an iPad. And I have no regrets.

But I am still waiting for the next gen eInk readers, cause I need the portability. iPad is a great home ereader, but I still want a 6 inch eInk reader.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #13
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Hmmm... I guess that if you spend so much money for iPad, you will not buying any ereader (or tablets) for some time.

Anyway, I'm considering to buy one.... Just need a correct reason to tell my wife.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 AM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
Hmmm... I guess that if you spend so much money for iPad, you will not buying any ereader (or tablets) for some time.

Anyway, I'm considering to buy one.... Just need a correct reason to tell my wife.
Lol. Note that many MobileRead users own multiple devices, which add up to near or more than the cost of iPad.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Lol. Note that many MobileRead users own multiple devices, which add up to near or more than the cost of iPad.
Several times more, for some of us .

I'm not sure what this thread means when it says that "iPad owners will not be buying an e(book)reader". The iPad is an ebook reader, along with many other things too. It's a pretty good ebook reader. The only thing it's really not good at is reading outside in sunlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote