Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Smile Paint on second shipment is perfect.

Dear all:

We have been monitoring all of the second shipment of coloured Pocket PROs.

The monitoring has shown that ALL of the second shipment is fine and we are returning the balance of the first shipment to the factory.

I feel it finally totally safe to say that the paint wrinkling that affected some of the first shipment is now ended and we can start shipping with confidence. We STILL guarantee replacement just to ease all minds... but you can now order with confidence.

I am still trying to track down Griffonwing and assure he is now set with getting a slate blue with no troubles. Griffonwing: leave me a private message if you need me!

I want new people coming to this forum to know we acted in good faith to make things right and the paint wrinkling problem is ended.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Nice to know about that Robertb, my Blue PP is on his way to Astak so i can get a replace soon (checking on USPS tracking system it says is on Customs, i hope soon get onto your hands).
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I just got through talking to Astak Customer Service. I don't think it was Amy who answered. At least, she didn't sound as fluent as Amy did in her videos.

Anyway, I gave her my email address for her to send a UPS label, but that was a couple hours ago. No email yet. Robert, I'll send you my contact info in a PM so that you can verify that they have the correct info.

3rd times the charm, they say.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I am on my second peeling reader right now. I had it and used it for an entire week before it started peeling. In fact, when I first got it I *tried* to make it peel, and it seemed solid. But eventually, the peeling came. So I guess I'd like to ask how this new shipment has been tested. Has anyone fired one up and used it for reading for 2 weeks or so? I'm trying to make up my mind if I should just stick it out with the reader I have, return it again, or (don't hurt me!) return it and switch to another device. Are all the colors in stock in the new shipment?
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For testing, I think the test units should be charged for 12 hours via the wall charger, then use TTS, while plugged in the charger (if possible) so as the generate as much heat from constant use as possible. Keep them going every day and see what happens after a week. Then 2 weeks.

If, after 2 weeks of solid processor workout, the units still have not blistered or shown signs of bubbling or creasing, it should be deemed as a successful batch.

Or, instead of simply being laid out on the table, perhaps employees can take a unit for a test drive, maybe a 2 week drive, where they have to read a minimum of 4 hours per day. That would be a good average. Many people read more than 4 hours a day, and some quite less, so 4 would be middle-of the road.

Just my thoughts.
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I agree, Griffonwing. I read on mine 2-3 hours/day for a week, or maybe a little over, before the leprosy started. I think the best way to test them is to have people actually use them, an extended trial. Simple rubbing and scratching doesn't seem sufficient. Robert is reporting that batch 2 is safe, I'm just curious if that is based on the feedback of consumers who received a 2nd batch unit, or on Astak testing such as you described, or both.
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My second one peeled after a week of daily use.
I think the problem is hot spots from hands or sun, causing de-lamination of the paint from the plastic due to different coefficients of expansion. A slow, even temperature change might not have this problem.

Anyway, my PEz front is now nude (except for the original coating on the Menu/return button) and looks great.

Last edited by theducks; 10-20-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typos
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
All colors in stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensie4JC View Post
I am on my second peeling reader right now. I had it and used it for an entire week before it started peeling. In fact, when I first got it I *tried* to make it peel, and it seemed solid. But eventually, the peeling came. So I guess I'd like to ask how this new shipment has been tested. Has anyone fired one up and used it for reading for 2 weeks or so? I'm trying to make up my mind if I should just stick it out with the reader I have, return it again, or (don't hurt me!) return it and switch to another device. Are all the colors in stock in the new shipment?
Dear All:

Excellent suggestions from all. I will grab a slate blue from the 2nd shipment and turn it on and let it play MP3 music for four hours a day for a few weeks. I will do the test and get my fingers and oils all over it. I will put it thru the test like you want it. Might as well be absolutely positive!

Agreed!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
what colors are peel proof at this point... black?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 AM   #10
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
and white i think
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Lucky us if the second shipment of colored PP are the same quality of the blacks/whites of first shipment.

On another note seems my blue PP (first batch) will reach Astak today

Label/Receipt Number: EE67 4301 287M X
Class: Express Mail International®

Your item is out for delivery or available at a PO Box at 9:10 AM on October 22, 2009 in SAN JOSE, CA, 95134.

Detailed Results:

Bullet Out for Delivery or Available at PO Box, October 22, 2009, 9:10 am, SAN JOSE, CA 95134
Bullet Sorting Complete, October 22, 2009, 8:40 am, SAN JOSE, CA 95134
Bullet Arrival at Post Office, October 22, 2009, 6:36 am, SAN JOSE, CA 95134
Bullet Inbound Out of Customs, October 21, 2009, 1:59 pm
Bullet Inbound Into Customs
Bullet Inbound International Arrival, October 18, 2009, 10:07 am, ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)
Bullet Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Bullet Foreign International Dispatch, October 15, 2009, 12:53 pm, MEXICO EMS, MEXICO
Bullet Foreign Arrival at Outward Office, October 15, 2009, 12:29 pm, MEXICO EMS, MEXICO
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
It looks like my black replacement (batch two) is starting to peel also.

It is starting to go on the right side where my thumb would hold it.

I am not sure what I am going to do at this point, but I am leaning toward requesting a refund....

I will take some photos later and post them..

I just uploaded the photos of the paint peeling again.

Name:  PocketPro-Black-Peel-4.bmp
Views: 535
Size:  533.3 KB

Name:  PocketPro-Black-3.bmp
Views: 518
Size:  574.3 KB

Last edited by Musicman; 10-24-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added photos
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
It looks like my black replacement (batch two) is starting to peel also.

It is starting to go on the right side where my thumb would hold it.

I am not sure what I am going to do at this point, but I am leaning toward requesting a refund....

Very bad news!
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

I wonder what the manufacturers are doing different? The v5 and BeBok Mini have been out (in black) long before Astak's release (if I remember correctly). And I do not recall seeing these issues with them.

So that brings me to wonder if the manufacturers are using different protocols depending on EU or US regulations. If so, then the fault ultimately goes to the US Regulations for making the manufacturers use these inoperable methods.

EDIT

It seems to be affecting the Mini as well. So they must be doing something different between the v5 and the v3?

I think Id rather have a solid mottled plastic shell than the rubber coating. At least it will not be prone to peeling or ripping. Maybe they can do this for the next batch or version.

Last edited by griffonwing; 10-24-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
It seems to be affecting the Mini as well. So they must be doing something different between the v5 and the v3?

I think Id rather have a solid mottled plastic shell than the rubber coating. At least it will not be prone to peeling or ripping. Maybe they can do this for the next batch or version.
I think it's the coating that they put on it. My v3 has no coating and has no problems. I sent an e-mail requesting a RMA for a refund. I am going to stick with my v3 for a while.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote