Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Sony Rewards Reverse Auction PRS500U: Auction STARTING Price- $250, drops $20 ea hr.

Wednesday's Reverse Auction: low prices on the products you want!

If you are a Sony Rewards member, you have a special opportunity to get great deals in the monthly Reverse Auction starting at noon E.T. this Wednesday, June 18th.

Sony Reader® Digital Book
PRS500U: Auction STARTING Price -- $250, drops $20 each hour.

At noon E.T., the Auction opens, the items are listed, and prices drop each hour until the Auction closes at 10PM. Once the clock starts, act fast and grab a sure deal -- or -- wait it out for a lower price and take your chances. Quantities are limited, so you may not want to wait too long to place your bid! You'll need a valid credit or debit card to complete your purchase. Shipping and handling charges apply.

So, remember to check in at sonyrewards.com on June 18th, hit the Reverse Auction tab (that only appears the third Wednesday of each month), and watch the dropping prices for BIG saving -- going once, going twice...SOLD!

Good luck!
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell everyone!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Man am I upset! I waited until it showed $70 and only three left but when I go to add it to my cart it says they are sold out!! What's up with that???
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
did anyone really get one near that price or......is it a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Man am I upset! I waited until it showed $70 and only three left but when I go to add it to my cart it says they are sold out!! What's up with that???
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know, but I am still pretty frustrated. Here I am thinking that if there are none left, the screen would actually show zero, but hey maybe that's just my idea of how an auction is supposed to work. I tried refreshing, waiting 15 minutes to see if someone was holding it in the cart. At 10:00 PM, it still showed 3 but yet I couldn't purchase it! Ridiculous...and the last time I try this lame thing.
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Granitefall
Granitefall began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I was able to get one for $90, but I clicked to buy it at 1 minute after the price drop.
Granitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
astrodad
Guru

Here's the email I sent them:

Quote:
Hello,

I attempted to purchase the PRS500U yesterday on the reverse auction but your system has a serious design flaw that prevented me from doing so. I waited until there were three units left and the price was $70. When I tried to 'Buy Now' the site told me you were sold out. I tried this several times, refreshing the page, with no luck. At 9:55 PM, there were still 3 items listed as available, but yet I could not buy one.

Did you actually intend to sell me the device at that price or was this all a ruse? I am very disappointed. If there were none left, why did the auction page not reflect this? Needless to say, I have zero trust in this system and will not participate in any reverse auctions in the future. What a TOTAL waste of my time.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Granitefall

I had a friend I had told about it who was trying to buy it at the same time as me.

He bought it when it said 10 were left (~7:08), I bought when it said there were 19 left (~7:01). (Both attempted at $90).

He had the same problem you did, said it was out even though it was displaying 10 as available.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru

What a waste of our time! The least they could do is make the thing accurate. I'm thinking of playing hard ball with these guys.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
What a waste of our time! The least they could do is make the thing accurate. I'm thinking of playing hard ball with these guys.
If you've ever done any web programming you would realize that the web is stateless. There is no way this could be accurate as you say.

The second you hit the server and it built the page it sent to you there probably where 3 available. But, by the time you tried to buy 10 other people could have been ahead of you. The best you can do is what you can do in a situation like this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If you've ever done any web programming you would realize that the web is stateless. There is no way this could be accurate as you say.

The second you hit the server and it built the page it sent to you there probably where 3 available. But, by the time you tried to buy 10 other people could have been ahead of you. The best you can do is what you can do in a situation like this.

BOb
That's not entirely accurate. The auction portion of a site is a Flash animation that automatically decrements. If you watch it you will notice that it decrements in real time. Even then, we're talking about a span of almost when there was a counter on the site that did not reflect the accurate results of the auction.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:11 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That's not entirely accurate. The auction portion of a site is a Flash animation that automatically decrements. If you watch it you will notice that it decrements in real time. Even then, we're talking about a span of almost when there was a counter on the site that did not reflect the accurate results of the auction.
But, it still has to make a round trip to the server to update... it might "seem" like real time, but it's not. In the few seconds between it saying 3 left, 100 people could have attempted to purchase one of those 3 units.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #13
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I want to know what sort of "hardball" JPlumley has in mind that could be played with that auction.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
astrodad
Guru

I don't know if I even can, to be honest. I couldn't find any terms of service for the auction that spelled out their agreement with the users. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough. I'll see if I hear from their support people and let you know. After a couple of days my angst has lost steam.

PilotBob,

Even if 100 people clicked on it when there were three left, I doubt it took almost an hour for the three that actually got one to complete their transaction. According to the popup window when you click "Buy Now", you have 15 minutes to complete your transaction. I would expect the counter to decrement when you get to the cart page and then increment if the cart is abandoned.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
Granitefall

Just an FYI but I never got an e-mail with an approximate date, so I called Sony Rewards to ask in person.

I was told it should take 7-10 days to ship....
They didn't say business or not, so it's possible it could take 12-14 days for this to actually get to me. *sighs* I hate waiting for things.