Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #1
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Okay, who still LOVES their Sony?

I have a PRS-505, a torn apart 600 (it needs a part), a t1, and a PRS_950 (my fav). I actually plan on getting another 950 so if something happens to mine I can have a back-up lol! I'm sad and disappointed on the lack of enthusiasm on Son'y part to keep producing quality readers. Sure, they had a few set backs, but had they paid attention to their customer base and responded in kind I believe they'd still be making fantastic ereaders.

So here's me, a proud Sony owner-who feels the same?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Not me. I'm using a Sony PRS-T2, because my wife got one for her father, and in the end he wouldn't use it, but it's not nearly as good as the Kobo Touch I had before (though it's lasted longer!)
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
I actually plan on getting another 950 so if something happens to mine I can have a back-up

e, I have two 950s and love them.

However, I wouldn't buy another one because the battery's long shelf life at this point would probably mean a short life span left.

. . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I've long since moved onto better things. IMO Sony went downhill after the 650. The T models were never as good. Their implementation of Android was poor and caused devices to fail. Terrible customer service too. Good riddance Sony, TBH. Their management suck. My only regret is that nothing is stepping in to replace them. Ah, well. At least open android models are appearing in Eurasia. For now, I'm fine with a rooted Nook.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Their implementation of Android was poor and caused devices to fail.
Or apps to fail. I use my e-reader for book club discussions all the time, so that I can make notes. Except that about every second book I manage to make some kind of annotation that will cause the reader app to "force close". Then the only solution (fortunately I'm a database geek) is to edit the T2's database to remove the offending annotation.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I'm still running my 650. I never wanted to "upgrade" to the T Series, and my battery is still running at optimum performance, so I've no need to get another reader. The bells and whistles of on the fly purchasing are usless to me, as I disinfect and relabel and order all my books via Calibre. I don't read in the dark, so front lighting is unnecessary. I'll run my 650 until it dies. (Although I anticipate that the EARL tablet I'm waiting on will eventually replace my 650 as my primary reader.)
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I love my T3 and am still using it. I still have a T1 but it has a bug - if I do too many notes it can lockup on the dictionary lookup. My T3 works perfectly.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I believe the combination of touchscreen and hardware buttons is a killer. I would also add the cover automation (for T3). It lacks the backlit display though, but one cannot have them all. It also has the real Adobe reader, not surrogates.

I don't use stores, nor internet, not even other resources Sony provided me (and I paid for).

And I never had issues with it. What I don't like is that T1 (I have a T1 as well) doesn't like diacritics, whereas T3 has no issues with.

I will no go back to a non-touch device (I have one of these, too).

PS: what failures people talk about?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I still love my Sony 350s and it's still the reader I judge all others by (nothing comes close). The design of the hardware is beautiful (especially since I managed to get my hands on 2 blue ones!), the software is rock solid (I don't think I've had to do a reset more than 2x in over 4 years, and that was due to a badly formatted epub), and when you add PRS+ to the x50 line of readers it can't be beat.

Except for no front light... if they only continued with that design and added a front light to it instead of the T1, 2, 3s.

But yes, I still love my Sonys.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
nutsheart
nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One, Huawei MediaPd M3
I love my Sony PRS-T3. I have actually two of them, one with cover and one without. I love the size, the screen and the margins.
nutsheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I still love my Sony 350s and it's still the reader I judge all others by (nothing comes close). The design of the hardware is beautiful (especially since I managed to get my hands on 2 blue ones!), the software is rock solid (I don't think I've had to do a reset more than 2x in over 4 years, and that was due to a badly formatted epub), and when you add PRS+ to the x50 line of readers it can't be beat.

Except for no front light... if they only continued with that design and added a front light to it instead of the T1, 2, 3s.

But yes, I still love my Sonys.
Hmm. Blue 350. Yum yum. Weren't they only released in Italy or something? In N.America all they had was silver and pink. Silver and Pink FFS! That says it all for Sony marketing. No wonder they failed. Hard to believe they paid people to make such poor decisions.

The T3 may be good. I've no experience of them. I saw one on offer a while back, but it has no front-light and can't be rooted. Meh. No front-light. Again, hard to believe someone got paid to make that dreadful decision.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Love, love, love the industrial design of my PRS-505. Love the capabilities of my T-3. If only the T3 didn't have a UI designed by computer geeks... They have their faults but overall they are some of my most-loved indulgent purchases of all time.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Hmm. Blue 350. Yum yum. Weren't they only released in Italy or something? In N.America all they had was silver and pink. Silver and Pink FFS! That says it all for Sony marketing. No wonder they failed. Hard to believe they paid people to make such poor decisions.

The T3 may be good. I've no experience of them. I saw one on offer a while back, but it has no front-light and can't be rooted. Meh. No front-light. Again, hard to believe someone got paid to make that dreadful decision.
For some ridiculous reason the blue readers were only released in Europe and Japan. None of the sellers will or can ship to the US because of new rules about shipping batteries in devices. So I had a friend from Denmark bid on and get one of them, and someone from London got the other. They are absolutely gorgeous. I have no idea what their marketing people are thinking when they make decisions like that.

I had a dark solid navy blue skin on my boring silver US reader (pink isn't for me) to try and look like the blue readers, but it didn't compare to the real thing in blue. The other nice thing about the blue reader is that the buttons are black instead of the shiny chrome. I would take the cutout from the skin around the keys and carefully place it over the chrome keys, worked perfectly.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #14
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I love my Sony ereader and i consider them to be the best ereaders i ever had. I will use them until they are dead. I just bought a backup T3 that was on promotion and will keep it in reserve if something bad happen to my T2 I use now.

I think the design and quality of Sony readers is not matched by any of the other companies. Too bad they are leaving the market.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
I still use my trusty 505,the battery life is still good and I bought a T2 as a backup.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote