Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you consider PDF to be a legitimate "e-book" format? (please elaborate b
Yes 37 38.14%
No 55 56.70%
I haven't formed an opinion on the matter, but would like to see the poll results 5 5.15%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #121
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Well I haven't voted yet but I did crystallize my position after the discussion. I did not have an opinion before we started but have decided that tagged PDF is ok if the software were ok but on more platforms it is not.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #122
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If you do further tallying of those who voted against PDF I'm ready to bet a shot of karma that most of us are eink reader owners.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #123
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
I don't believe I voted, but my feelings are mixed.

I think PDF is a perfectly valid format, if you have an appropriate device to display them. Most of the nay sayers have devices that don't do it well.

My ebook reader is a Palm OS PDA with a 320x480 screen. I can read PDFs -- there is a superb open source Palm OS PDF viewer called PalmPDF, based on a Palm shared library port of XPDF. But that small screen is a deal breaker for a lot of PDFs that don't reflow well, and side-scrolling to read a page is a PITA. So I read PDFs on the PDA only if no other format exists for the content.

That's okay. I don't expect all content I read to be something readable in that form factor, and there is some content I wouldn't want to view on that size screen, even if I could. I have a 19" monitor on my desktop in 1600x1200 resolution for a reason...

My issue isn't with PDFs as such: it's with content that is only provided as PDF. A lot of the stuff that's out there in PDF form is stuff that could reflow to fit whatever screen without harming readability, save that the producers didn't offer it in a format that did that.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #124
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If you do further tallying of those who voted against PDF I'm ready to bet a shot of karma that most of us are eink reader owners.
An interesting parallel, since I'd say none of the e-ink readers are optimized for textbook use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I think PDF is a perfectly valid format, if you have an appropriate device to display them. Most of the nay sayers have devices that don't do it well.
It probably is as simple as that.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #125
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've been dreaming of an A4/letter sized e-ink device for some time. With a touch screen and notation capture (handwriting recognition would be pure gravy) it'd be a killer app for folks who handle a lot of PDF dox: lawyers (yeah, I know, but they have lots of money to spend), teachers, business persons, medical personnel ... the list goes on and on.

Think how many such devices would sell to a business environment! Yes, they'd be terribly expensive, but consider that businesses pay much more for stuff than typical individuals can/will -- where would the PC revolution be without businesses buying enough to bring the prices down where we could afford to have the things ourselves?

And the detail that it would be good for reading books fixed-formatted in that size is just an incidental detail.

I'm just all tingly merely thinking about it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #126
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I still say PDF is bad, bad bad, for all the reason I've outlined before.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #127
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I might go for "unsuitable, unsuitable, unsuitable."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #128
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I think everyone here knew we wouldn't be changing your mind...
Old 01-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #129
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
An interesting parallel, since I'd say none of the e-ink readers are optimized for textbook use.

It probably is as simple as that.
Well, those with iLiads do pretty well with PDF so I suspect the naysayers own 6" E-ink devices and none of those do reflow currently.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #130
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, well, I was thinking that as textbooks often use full color, and the Iliad is B/W, it was not that well suited to e-textbooks either. But you're right, in cases where color is not important to the textbook, the Iliad does a fine job.