Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Book renting machine (pic I stumbled over)

I made this shot during my visit to the Frankfurt Book Fair this year, but somehow it must have gotten lost deep down in the mess I call my hard disk.

What do you think about the idea of renting paper books fully automated through a machine? It's kinda similar to the idea of using in-store kiosks to sell e-books (as they plan to do in Australia). Just, well, it's more physical I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2409.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	541.2 KB
ID:	7230  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where's the photo?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That's nothing new. I know a public library that had automated checkout at least 10 years ago.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops... pic was too large and I didn't see the error message
Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What formats does this machine allow one to rent?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What formats does this machine allow one to rent?
Hmmm I think paperback format... 110mm x 178mm (4.33" x 7.01")
Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I'm confused here! Is it a library attendant replacement, like banks have replaced tellers?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I am not sure... Nate is right, automated checkouts have been already in place in libraries for a long time. But I think this machine is slightly different (or why would it have been in the technology section at this year's Book Fair). It's seems to be more meant to completely replace a library; something like those DVD vending machines we can see already on the street nowadays.

I did some surfing and found this website which looks like it's from the producer of this machine:

http://www.magex.org/products/en_index.html
http://www.magex.org/magexEnglish/videodispenser.html
http://www.magex.org/press/pdf/gdv_gen07.pdf (PDF, Italian)
Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
fugsly
living dead girl
fugsly began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
They had those at an aiport I went to when I visited America (I think it was the London airport). That would have been summer 2006.

I bought one just for the novelty really (seeing as i already had three books in my carry on). The prices were reasonable for an airport machine and I can imagine they'd do very well at train/bus/airports etc.
fugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugsly View Post
They had those at an aiport I went to when I visited America (I think it was the London airport). That would have been summer 2006.

I bought one just for the novelty really (seeing as i already had three books in my carry on). The prices were reasonable for an airport machine and I can imagine they'd do very well at train/bus/airports etc.
What is it? A paper book dispenser?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
fugsly
living dead girl
fugsly began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Yes exactly that. I think they were all retail price and mostly the latest bestsellers in paper back from what I remember. A good mix of children / adult / young teen.
fugsly is offline   Reply With Quote