Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
banjoman
banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.banjoman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kobo touch
screen damaged by screen protector

Help! I love my new Kobo Touch but bought a screen protector and, having applied it then decided I preferred it without one, pulled it off (carefully!) and consequently created bubbles in the true screen. I have pushed some out to the edge with a card but some are still present. I mailed Kobo for suggestions but no reply. It's still usable but no longer perfect. Am I looking at buying another or can it be fixed? Thanks for any words of commiseration or advice!
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I guess this is the kind of situation that makes that extra Kobo care dealio worth having--user oopsies--I feel your pain.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
If you're planning to get a new one, try sending this one to kobo to replace the screen instead? No idea on the price, but I'm sure that whatever they will charge for that will be less than the price of a new kobo. Only downside is the wait time.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Last I'd heard, screen replacement for user damage was $59 plus shipping, but I could not swear to that in court of law without talking to the good folks @Kobo. Still cheaper than a new one, though.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd be sending a nastygram to the cover manufacturer as well and let them know their lovely product ruins the Kobo if you try to remove it.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Out of curiosity, can you make a picture of the damaged screen?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
What product did you use? I was thinking of getting some screen protector foil as well ... ATM I'm inquiring into the 3M product line.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quick question, and probably a silly one at that: have you used screen protectors before? The reason I ask is some people I know didn't realize there is a second layer to the screen protectorthat has to be removed and, depending on the manufacturer, might not be readily apparent (good ones will put pull tabs for all removable pieces).

What you describe sounds exactly like when air gets between the screen protector and the screen. The original screen is a piece of rigid plastic that sits on glass, so there's really no reason I can think of that there would be "air bubbles" there. What it sounds like is that when you noticed that you didn't like it, the screen protectors "protectant" film was left on (can still see through it, but the look is a bit hazy). Taking it off left behind the actual protector with its tell-tale bubbles. You may want to look around the screen a bit to see if there's a gap somewhere that you can lift off (usually blends in really well with the screen...)

Of course, I may be totally off base in your case, but I have experienced it first hand with people *COUGHwifeCOUGH*......

Last edited by Psyke; 10-25-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: fixing little bits here and there.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Psyke may be right, some protectors have two plies.

Maybe you removed the top layer only.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
What Psyke said.
If you can push the bubbles out to the edge with a card it sounds as if you still have the screen protector on. I find it hard to imagine how you could get "bubbles" in the Kobo screen and even less how you could push them around?
However this is exactly what happens with a protector screen. Every screen I have ever used (on my phones, ipad etc) has always had multiple layers that when removed leave the actual screen which is almost invisible - except for those dreaded bubbles.

Last edited by HarleyB; 10-25-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Can't spell
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think Pyske is right, I can't see how in the world the Kobo could get a bubbly screen. Could you post pics? All the screen protectors I've had (Phone) have had three layers, one on the back and one on the front.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you left?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
All the screen protectors I've had (Phone) have had three layers, one on the back and one on the front.
You forgot a layer.

There are three types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
You forgot a layer.

There are three types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't.
Ah, one of the latter..

That's similar to "There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't".
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
You forgot a layer.

I thought THE screen protector didn't need to be mentioned.