Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
absaroka
Edge User

Pdf files viewed on LCD but not E Ink screen?

I'm having difficulty opening some pdf files on the e ink side display. When I try to add them to the library, a red exclamation mark appears at the top of the LCD as well as an error message on the e ink side. I can open those same files with Docs to Go on the LCD side. Any Ideas? Also, is it possible to do any editing on PDFs in Docs to Go? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Hello - no you cannot edit PDF files with Docs To Go. What is the error you receive? Does it happen with all PDF files? Are they password protected files? Are they DRM protected files registered to someone else?

Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
absaroka
Edge User

On the e ink side, I get the exclamation point inside a triangle with 'filename' could not be opened. The files seem to come from a single database that I am using of old magazine and journal articles. I've wondered if their failure to open properly is a result of their weird shape (ie multiple long skinny columns) However, I've been able to open a handful of files from this particular database on the e ink side. I don't think they are password protected as I have opened them on a variety of laptops/desktops over the last few months.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, absaroka

People in the past have sometimes had problems with file names that contain spaces and or different characters other than plain letters, numbers and a handful of punctuation (i.e. a-z, 0-9, -, _). One thing you can try is to rename the file using the Storage app or the ES File Explorer app to a plain file name with no spaces, e.g. "my_book01.pdf". Then try opening it in the Reader and/or adding it to the Library.

If it still fails, it could be the Reader software is being tripped up by the internals of the PDF, perhaps by the "weird" layout as you describe. I recently had problems with some EPUB files, for example. You can contact Tech Support (www.entourageedge.com/support) and offer to forward a sample file to them for analysis, as I did with the two EPUB files I had problems with.

While the PDF format is governed by an official specification, everyone writes their own software to interpret PDF files according to the spec, and PDF generating software likewise generate PDF files based on their particular interpretation and implementation of the spec. And then there are older and newer versions of the spec on top of that. The result is that not all PDFs will work with all PDF software.

Last edited by borisb; 01-08-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
absaroka
Edge User

Thanks for the insights, Cheyenne and Boris. I did see the thread on spaces etc. causing some difficulties, but I've already tried a variety of files, and the only common denominator I see is that they all come from the same database. I will send a note to support and post their suggestions in this thread.

Advert