Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #76
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb123 View Post

Hrafn - never even thought about Bluetooth headphones, weird as I have 'most of the gadgets'. Anyone know a good media player for e-ink and I'll try it with the Bluetooth input on my amp?
The web page says that the Kepler Pro does not support any audio files - the Bluetooth is for syncing.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #77
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
The web page says that the Kepler Pro does not support any audio files - the Bluetooth is for syncing.
The I86HDML will work with a Bluetooth keyboard.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:50 PM   #78
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
That's a change from what the site originally specified, which was that an "External Bluetooth headset" is needed for use of MP3 and WAV formats (see my OP). It may mean that they since changed their mind about installing a default audio player app, but not necessarily that the Kepler isn't capable of using Bluetooth headphones if an audio app is installed by the user to "support" audio files.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #79
Geenween
Enthusiast
Geenween began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Energy reader Pro+
Could anyone test this? The main reason I'm interested in Onyx products would be the audio support.

Last edited by Geenween; 09-25-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Grammar
Geenween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #80
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenween View Post
Could anyone test this? The main reason I'm interested in Onyx products would be the audio support.
djb123 is currently the only proud owner of one of these on this forum, so is the only person in a position to test it as yet. Alternately, you could ask Onyx Boox directly at sales@onyx-international.com
Old 09-27-2016, 04:24 AM   #81
sharkcow
Enthusiast
sharkcow has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro
Hi all,

I just bought one myself. First interesting note: the supported file formats listed on the side of the package also include wav and mp3... when I try to play songs through my favorite music player app however, it cycles through all files and then stops, so I guess it can't find any audio device (obviously). So I ordered a pair of BT headphones. I'll report back as soon as I get them

sharkcow
sharkcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #82
Hrafn
Fanatic

Sharkcow: have you been able to find what Onyx has done to implement a (presumably software) Back button, in the absence of a hardware button (for navigating menus)? (The Android specification requires one, whether hardware or software.)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #83
sharkcow
Enthusiast

There's no "solution". I've gotten stuck in sub-menus already in some apps I've installed. If the menu bar is visible, it's not such a problem, but inconvenient. Haven't been able to find an app which emulates a back button either (some might be good but require android 4.1).
Old 09-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #84
Hrafn
Fanatic

Thanks sharkcow. I put in a query to the Netherlands retailer (who's the only one selling the Kepler at the moment) on the topic late last week, but haven't heard back.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #85
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcow View Post
There's no "solution". I've gotten stuck in sub-menus already in some apps I've installed. If the menu bar is visible, it's not such a problem, but inconvenient. Haven't been able to find an app which emulates a back button either (some might be good but require android 4.1).
For a back button, try 'EAS: Easy App Switcher'. It doesn't seem to require root and it is a small floating trigger that can be tapped or swiped in different ways, each of which is assigned a different action (home, back, recent apps, navigation bar, or X number of user-assigned favorites.

Button Savior non-root might be an option as well, but I have only tried the rooted version of that so I'm not sure how well it works.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #86
sharkcow
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post
For a back button, try 'EAS: Easy App Switcher'. It doesn't seem to require root and it is a small floating trigger that can be tapped or swiped in different ways, each of which is assigned a different action (home, back, recent apps, navigation bar, or X number of user-assigned favorites.

Button Savior non-root might be an option as well, but I have only tried the rooted version of that so I'm not sure how well it works.
Thanks for the tips. I tried both apps, but both don't do anything when I hit the back button symbol The extra home button works, with button savior I can even get into the phone mode and change volume! But I guess for "back" functionality, root would be needed. If anybody else knows good apps for back button emulation, please let me know so I can try them out!

sharkcow
Old 09-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #87
sharkcow
Enthusiast

bad news: BT headphones do NOT work. At least the model I tried (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01ABVLE8Y/...075861_TE_item). It connects fine, but the two audio players I tried still just cycle through all songs in seconds. Have tried turning off the connection to the phone audio, leaving only the connection to media audio, but to no avail.

The headphones work fine with my mobile (android 4.2.2), so the issue must be the kepler

Next, I'll try a wired solution via usb sound card.

sharkcow
Old 09-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #88
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Does anyone know what the size of the app partition is on the Kepler Pro? The only real drawback to the C67 series was its relatively small user app partition (350 MB). The Boyue T62+ was much better there. I'm trying to decide between the Kepler Pro and the T63 for my next e-Ink device. Audio ability isn't an issue for me.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm wondering if the C67 ML Carta 2 would be a better buy than the Kepler Pro. But I'm open to more info!

Last edited by downeaster59; 09-29-2016 at 08:05 AM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #89
sharkcow
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Does anyone know what the size of the app partition is on the Kepler Pro? The only real drawback to the C67 series was its relatively small user app partition (350 MB). The Boyue T62+ was much better there. I'm trying to decide between the Kepler Pro and the T63 for my next e-Ink device. Audio ability isn't an issue for me.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm wondering if the C67 ML Carta 2 would be a better buy than the Kepler Pro. But I'm open to more info!
it's about 1GB, so definitely better than the C67. Seems enough for my app needs, anway (still I install any app I can to SD).

sharkcow
Old 09-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #90
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcow View Post
it's about 1GB, so definitely better than the C67. Seems enough for my app needs, anway (still I install any app I can to SD).

sharkcow
1 GB is the best I've seen in an Onyx product. Score one for the Kepler Pro. This may be picky, but I wish they had at least Android 4.2, like the C67 does. One app I'd want to use on this device (if I buy it) requires 4.1 as a minimum. Still, a 1 GB user app partition is very good news.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote