Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
Lindon
Lindon began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
WARNING WARNING WARNING

I'd just like to let people who are contemplating purchasing an Onyx Boox e-reader from Yale Zhang at Onyx Boox U.S.

DONT

After receiving a faulty Boox 60 last November I was initially advised to try several methods to reboot the unit which I had already tried unsuccessfully.
If that didnt work he promised a full refund.

I then sent many emails asking for information, each one getting angrier as
these were completely ignored for a long period of time.

Finally after threatening to mention my dealings with him on this web site a response came full of excuses and saying return the unit for a refund which I did.

I waited and waited. No refund no emails nothing.

I sent more emails to no avail.

In frustration I contacted Onyx Boox International asking for help.

I was immediately contacted by Sophia at Onyx Boox International.

She asked for all the correspondence between the two of us.

Yale still wouldn't contact me but through Sophia I found he would contact me within a week to organise a refund and if he didn't to let her know.

Two weeks pass and still no contact.

I let Sofia know, she contacts him again, finally several days later he contacts me.

So after nearly 5 months I have my refund minus 2 lots of postage (A$70).

Thanks to Sophia who sorted this out for me. All correspondence from her was immediate and positive.

This is in no way a reflection on Onyx Boox products just their agent in the U.S.

Sorry this post is so long winded but after 5 months its hard to get my ordeal across without explaining the whole process.

My advice is to avoid any dealings with this man.

I'd be interested to hear from others who have had similar dealings with Yale.
Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Onyx-Boox...item19ce9032f4

is this guy Yale Zhang as well? This eBayer told me he is the only Onyx dealer in the States.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Lindon

Looks like the same guy.

Same address in Duluth Georgia but different phone number.

According to Onyx International they will be looking at their arrangement with him when the current one expires.

He may not be the U.S. agent for much longer due to the information I forwarded to them.

Without Onyx International stepping in I dont believe i'd ever see my refund.

This is his website.
www.onyxboox.com

This is his address.
10850 Glenbarr Dr. Duluth, GA 30097

If you google earth it you see he operates from home.
Always a concern when there's no shop front.

I'd be looking elsewhere for your Onyx Boox.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-30-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Whoops. I see it's on the web site.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
I went to the site you've provided. He doesn't seem to have Paypal payment option available for his site, only credit card.

You should always use Paypal to pay when buying online, because Paypal have buyer protection. And claiming refund (including postage, oneway only) from Paypal is extremely easy, and Paypal tend to favour buyer's claim and give refund provided that you give tracking number.

Credit Card company's chargeback system is useless in protecting consumers, always use Paypal.

Also paying with Paypal means you don't have to give out your credit card information to the seller.

Never buy from a site with no Paypal payment option, and his website seem to be one of these.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 03-28-2012 at 01:41 PM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
jafmaw
Technocrone
jafmaw began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92, Kobo Libra H2O, Galaxy Tab S3
All I can say is: wow.
I bought an M92 from that site recently, received it very quickly, and had good responses to my emailed inquiries from Yale Zhang. My Boox arrived working perfectly, so I have not needed to attempt a refund process, unlike Linden. Very sorry to hear about your 5-month-long(!) nightmare; my experience was entirely positive.
jafmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
Lindon

Some valid information there Financial War i've learnt my lesson thankyou.

I think he's just a through sales business.

Product comes in one door and he moves them out the other.

Problems start when you need some product support.

He just doesn't want to know you.

I hope Onyx International heed my advice and replace him as Onyx purchasers deserve better.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
My experience with onyx-book was quite pleasant. Yale Zhang seems a reliable person. I bought Onyx Boox A60 from him early last year. After 3 months, the screen got frozen and showed weird patterns. I sent the device back to him and in about a week, I received a new device. Maybe I was just lucky, who knows.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
If you google earth it you see he operates from home.
Always a concern when there's no shop front.

Why are you posting someone's personal information online!?! This is completely in appropriate. You come in here making accusations against someone who's not here to defend themself and then you post their full name & address. Absolutely outrageous!

So what if someone operates out of their house? You've never heard of a home business? There's nothing wrong with that! Nothing at all! Millions of people operate home businesses of all types all over the world. You have no right to post this persons information on the web.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Why are you posting someone's personal information online!?! This is completely in appropriate. You come in here making accusations against someone who's not here to defend themself and then you post their full name & address. Absolutely outrageous!

So what if someone operates out of their house? You've never heard of a home business? There's nothing wrong with that! Nothing at all! Millions of people operate home businesses of all types all over the world. You have no right to post this persons information on the web.
So you are saying it is inappropriate to post the address of a shop if it is identical to the home address?
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes it is. and that address is not Yale's only place of business. He also has a Medical device business. the devices are shipped to and from that warehouse location. Yale is not a bad guy or crook. Im sure there is just a mistake on his part.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
So you are saying it is inappropriate to post the address of a shop if it is identical to the home address?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
yes it is.
Since I first redacted the address, it has been pointed out to me privately that the address quoted is actually the contact address given on the onyxboox.com web site, and so I have restored it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
no worries from me then. i dislike the posting of individuals addresses and such without their consent but if its already posted up on their own site I see no issue with it.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I can confirm that I also had a good transaction with Yale and he reacted immediately to something that I believed it was a defective product. I later withdrew my statement because it was a software issue, not really an issue but a misunderstanding of the functionality on my side.
Apparently the initiator of this thread lives in Australia (he is speaking about A$) and that makes the whole process slower and more expensive (?!)

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 04-05-2012 at 07:23 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
An apology from OnyxBoox.com

Hello Lindon,
I apologize about all the troubles that you've encountered with my handling of the issues you've had with your X60. There's no one to blame but myself for this problem. When you sent the item back without the battery pack, I procrastinated on getting it properly tested for faults. Of the two returns we have had from Australia, yours was the only one where they forced a battery removal. I am truly sorry for all the headaches and lack of proper communication on my part.
I believe when you sent the product back it was around the introduction of the M92. That, plus the Christmas rush had me pushing close to 80 hours a week. It's my fault for not getting back to you sooner, but I did send you a full refund, even despite a missing battery. The contact address on the website is indeed my home address. If I had tried to open a storefront for just the Onyx Boox, it may have gone out of business a long time ago. In August of 2008 I had met Kim, the founder of Onyx and she showed me a prototype of the Boox 60 device. I liked it so much that I cashed out my retirement account to start the www.onyxboox.com website. However, market forces, especially the relatively inexpensive Kindle has made it difficult to survive.
As an avid reader myself, I believe the quality of ebook readers from Onyx International continue to increase. The M92 product is truly the best device they have ever made, and I'm sure other users here will attest to that. If you're interested, I can arrange for one to be sent to you at a significant discount. Please do not blame the product. It is my fault that this happened. I'm sorry.

--Yale
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
Lindon

Apology accepted Yale and I hope you understand my response was born out of shear frustration having lost money on two previous online purchases with other online retailers and then seemingly being ignored.
I was thinking here we go again.
Looking at the response from other forum members who have had positive dealings with you Im prepared to put it down to an oversight by you. Thats why I asked for feedback from others, to see if this was a common occurance.
Its also worth remembering Yale that purchasing online is riskier for the purchaser then from a local shop and therefore online retailers have a responsability to respond quickly to customers correspondence to keep their confidence in you.
Without customer confidence and feedback an online store is doomed to fail.
I still believe Onyx is a fine product but it wont be necessary to offer me a discount on another product but thankyou for the offer. Thats not why I started this thread.