Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you buy another PE or EE with no support from the company?
yes 3 14.29%
no 8 38.10%
depends on price (reply with your limits) 10 47.62%
I want it NOW and don't care about price! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
larka
larka began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Will you buy another EE or PE and for how much?

Everyone on the forums LOVE their devices. And everyone I show it to WANTS one. I am wondering (if you don't mind sharing), when did you get you device, where, and for how much? Also will you buy again and what is a ceiling for you given EOL status?

Mine & bought for friends (2011):
PE red - Ebay - 250$ - march
PE black - amazon (WWD) - 200$ - april
PE black - amazon - 175$ (U tech) - may
EE blue - amazon (U tech) - 300$ - april

Will buy again for:
PE <250$
EE <380$
larka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
I'm saving up for a backup PE from WWD, though I would probably pay up to ~$250 for one, I'm not really too interested in an EE yet(though if I could get a new one for <$300 I would), as for the kind of money they usually go for I could easily just get a netbook and mod it with some things that would make it more like an EE...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
I don't know that I'd buy another PE, but I'd buy an EE now at around $200. I would have bought one from Woot for $200 last month if that's what they had.

I don't think I'd recommend either to someone else because I'm not sure how they'd react to the products being discontinued. At $200 or less, I'm willing to write the thing off if it breaks or fails, but at $300 or more, it would get on my nerves.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Franky
Nameless Being

You bet I buy a spare EE. The price determine the moment, but up to €200.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Adiposus Maximus
BMI Chart Buster
Adiposus Maximus began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Nook Color, Viewsonic GTablet, Pocket Edge
dark blue EE $499 from Entourage, May 2010 (new)
white EE $200 from ebay, Mar 2011 (scratched up, half eaten and spit out)
black PE $130 from ebay, May 2011 (used)

....and I'm not buying any more unless they get really cheap, but not because of lack of support, just because I have more than I need already except as backups.

Last edited by Adiposus Maximus; 06-02-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Adiposus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
I don't know that I'd buy another PE, but I'd buy an EE now at around $200. I would have bought one from Woot for $200 last month if that's what they had.

I don't think I'd recommend either to someone else because I'm not sure how they'd react to the products being discontinued. At $200 or less, I'm willing to write the thing off if it breaks or fails, but at $300 or more, it would get on my nerves.
I'm pretty much the same as Last_of. I have a bid on an EE from ebay now, if I don't get that one I will try again. I love my PE, but sometimes the screens are just too small.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
Dumas
Connoisseur
Dumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enough

Device: Nokia N810, enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe
Ditto Filark and Last.
Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
ken_jennings
eDGe User
ken_jennings has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage eDGe
Would buy another EE, new for no more than $249.
A new PE for no more than $199.

In a year, have to figure they've all been used, so I would buy a used EE then for no more than $175, and a used PE for maybe $119.
ken_jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
I only have an original EE but don't right now feel the need to buy a backup, especially given the prices are too high for either a second new device or one that's been used and who knows in what condition.

I may be pushing my luck, but I figure by the time my edge craps out there will probably be something new and shiny available. If not, $200 - $300 tops is what I'd pay to replace my edge. I love the size of the EE but less so the weight and thickness. (We're on the road for long stretches at a time and it's yet another laptop taking up valuable space/weight in the carryon bag as airlines get more and more stingy about these sorts of things.) I can't see going down to the PE because for pdf annotation/journal note taking I just don't think it's big enough for me, especially with the N810 I carry around that allows me to fill out a pdf form and sign a document just fine (since it doesn't have the zoom levels issue, I can zoom right in, sign, then zoom out.).

And now that I have an 11" Macbook Air, it's really no biggie to always have a laptop with me, so I don't need much of the tablet functions. It's the wacom journal I need (OK, want!), and by the time I'm edgeless, there may very well be a good "notepad" replacement, be it the Eee Note or something else.

But the edge was practically perfect when I was between laptops and had no other computer. It was more than worth its original price, at the time, as a complete laptop/tablet solution.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I'd buy the PE again if the company weren't defunct, but I'm not willing to invest into more than one defunct device. If it weren't obvious they were disappearing when I bought mine, I would have bought 3 more, husband and two kids. And yeah, every single person I showed it to was ready to fork over $ until they found out the company was gone. This is a seriously huge market that got no advertising (heck, I've been talking for years that this is the exact device I want and I never heard of it until woot. hrmmmm...I live near Entourage's HQ, did I get punked? ;P ). I hope another company picks up the pieces and continues to develop another dualbook device.
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
You don't buy electrical engineers, you hire them. Same for professional engineers.

Whatever device you're talking about should probably be added to Wikipedia's disambiguation page.
I don't see anything there that would seem to match.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
Why not

I just don't find the Eink side of things that groovy compared to the thin Kindle sitting a few feet from here. I wanted to use it for doing math while reading one of those Schaum math reviews, but so far I'm finding it too hard to write numbers quickly and accurately.

I've only had my PE for a short while, so I haven't given up yet.
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven1 View Post
I wanted to use it for doing math while reading one of those Schaum math reviews, but so far I'm finding it too hard to write numbers quickly and accurately.
I don't have any problems on the EE, but of course, I don't have a PE. I do math on my e-ink screen all the time... quickly and accurately, of course.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
I've done a bit with math on the e-ink, if your calibration isn't right it can be hell, but if you calibrate it the same way you hold the pen when you write(usually at an angle) its really not bad, and I have begun preferring it to paper.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

it also helps to have a plain background, not lined or graph. The cleaner the background, the quicker the writing goes.

I don't know whether it has to do with more screen that's not near the margins, but I have some vague feeling that more PE owners report lag and other such issues than EE owners.