Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Gleidson
Gleidson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Daily Edition - PRS-900
PSR-900 owner: is it worth upgrading to PSR-950?

Hello everyone,

First off, I am more a sort of watcher than a regular member of this forum, but I apretiate it anyway. Confess that I come down here when I am looking for making my mind on some stuff. For the first time it was for Sony's PRS-900, which I am a happy owner. For this time around I am back for gathering info on the PRS-950 and likely Nook Color as well.

My interjection today comes up with the hotly commotion of restless doubt (I may sound kinda poetic or maybe rather dramatic! whatever...). Well, as forementioned, I have got a PRS-900... as I am on my way to Stateside these days, am considering both 950 and Nook Color, so my asking for your opinions lies on knowing if it is really worth upgrading to PRS-950 or, otherwise, keeping the previous version and getting the Nook Color is truly worth my while the best.

Thank you all, folks.
Gleidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I played with the 950 on a few occasions trying to decide the same thing. There's no question that the screen is a significant improvement. It is worth the cost of buying for 900 owners.

That said, I chose not to buy one and get a nook color because of the feature set and Barnes and Noble store (allows downloading of samples). I prefer a touchscreen (though its LCD) and options are limited at that price point.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Gleidson

Thank you, SCION, for your valuable words. So, in your case, you passed PRS-950 by so that you prefer a Nook Color, much alike to my second proposition. Great!

I am keen to buy both, PRS-950 and Nook Color, mostly by the novelty standpoint than a real necessity of keeping two devices (it keeps being two, for I intend to sell off the PRS-900).
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm with you. I plan to buy the 950 in the near future. Like I said, after looking at the new screen it's hard to be content with the 900 as an e-ink device.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, Gleidson. I am happy that I upgraded to the 950. I am also thinking of adding a Nook Color to my ereader collection. I am watching on the sidelines now to see how their app and magazine selections develop. Here are the Top 3 reasons I like the 950 improvements that I posted in another thread. If these don't matter to you, then maybe you are ok to stay with the 900. If money is not an issue, then go for both the 950 and the Nook Color!

1) New screen: The reduced glare and improved contrast are obvious. However, the sensitivity of the touch screen is my favorite improvement. Now it is more like how touch should be. I rarely need to use the stylus anymore.

2) Wikipedia integration is excellent. Highlight a word / phrase and when it opens the dictionary menu there is a special icon to launch a Wikipedia search. I haven't found much use for the browser otherwise since Sony won't let you download from anywhere but their store (grumble, grumble).

3) Better PDF viewing. It has a new "Page Mode" with quadrant viewing so it's much easier to read 2 or 3 column PDF files. Also you can lock zoom now.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
With the 950, say I'm in a bookstore, and I'd like to go to my library's online catalog to see whether they have a copy (available) instead of buying one - possible?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Parin
Parin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Hi Bookworm_Girl,

I have ordered PRS-950 from Amazon. Now, I don't receive it yet.
I have a question to buy Ebooks, PRS-950 can download Ebooks via 3G in US only (for Reader store)? For google book store, can I directly download Ebooks from google book store with wifi?
Parin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parin View Post
Hi Bookworm_Girl,
I have ordered PRS-950 from Amazon. Now, I don't receive it yet.
I have a question to buy Ebooks, PRS-950 can download Ebooks via 3G in US only (for Reader store)? For google book store, can I directly download Ebooks from google book store with wifi?
Yes, 3G only works in US. Wi-fi should work fine. Although you download google books through the Reader Store. If you do not have a US reader store account, then I do not know if it will work for you. I would think that you could download direct from Google Books on your computer and then transfer via USB cable to your reader.

Seabookguy, I'll investigate your question later unless somebody else does first. If the bookstore has Wi-fi, then you probably can log into your library account. Although sometimes the browser has issues with certain sites.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Gleidson

Cool, Bookworm_Girl, those three points fully sold me out, especially the new PDF viewing. BTW, software wise, IMO, it would be feasibly possible a firmware update on PRS-900 in order to contemplate all or most of those new welcome features. Rather, Sony seems to think only of foisting a new device on us.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
lautunno
lautunno began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
I'm a 900 owner and generally speaking I'm happy with functionalities, much less with the e-ink screen.
Before moving to a 950, I would consider to change the firmware on my 900 and try a 950 one on it to check the new pdf reader features.
Is that possible somehow?
lautunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
ZBlobXxX
ZBlobXxX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350-900
lautunno, if it is possible I'll not sell anymore mine 900. Because the screen issue is not "SO MUCH" better if you have a good light, as I've. I'm using currently a 350 and till couple of days ago a 900. The fact if you sum the new screen with the new "quadrant view" 950 become much more effective to see pdf that have 2 columns!
ZBlobXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
With the 950, say I'm in a bookstore, and I'd like to go to my library's online catalog to see whether they have a copy (available) instead of buying one - possible?
SeaBookGuy, I tested out the browser on my local library website. It works very smoothly - better than I was expecting even! If you are in a bookstore like Borders or BN that has Wi-fi, then that's a great idea. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
That said, I chose not to buy one and get a nook color because of the feature set and Barnes and Noble store (allows downloading of samples).
SCION, I totally wish that Sony offered samples like the other bookstores. Their excerpts are weak. However, you can read BN samples on a Sony ereader with a little work. The BN samples have no DRM. Thus you can download them to your computer and then transfer to your Sony reader via USB cable. That's what I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleidson View Post
Cool, Bookworm_Girl, those three points fully sold me out, especially the new PDF viewing. BTW, software wise, IMO, it would be feasibly possible a firmware update on PRS-900 in order to contemplate all or most of those new welcome features. Rather, Sony seems to think only of foisting a new device on us.
Gleidson, I agree that it is disappointing that Sony does not do more firmware updates.

Some other things I like about the 950 are that you can vary the contrast and brightness of the screen for both EPUBs and PDFs. I have a few PDFs that I had given up on that are now readable on my 950.

Also, the new dictionaries are impressive. There are now 12 including foreign languages. And, you can switch the dictionary within the word popup menu with a simple drop-down box. In fact, there are several places throughout the menu system where there are now drop-down boxes, and you don't have to go through the Options menu anymore. There is also a new Word Log that keeps a record of the words you look-up so you can refer to it later.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 AM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Thanks a lot, B-G ... much appreciated!

I'm frustrated that I can't find e-books in French or Spanish (which I can read reasonably well) to test drive those dictionaries on!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I'm frustrated that I can't find e-books in French or Spanish (which I can read reasonably well) to test drive those dictionaries on!
Yes, I know what you mean. I am currently reading a historical fiction book set in London and Paris so there have been a handful of French words in it. Thus I got to try out the new dictionaries! My library has Spanish books (no French) but that's because I live in the Southwest. If you like classics, then feedbooks.com has loads of French and Spanish texts. When you search on public domain books, they have a column at the left side of the page that lets you filter for language. You might want to try that.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
SCION, I totally wish that Sony offered samples like the other bookstores. Their excerpts are weak. However, you can read BN samples on a Sony ereader with a little work. The BN samples have no DRM. Thus you can download them to your computer and then transfer to your Sony reader via USB cable. That's what I do!
Great tip! I've been using Amazon samples.