Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Amazon Whispernet - What is it?

All we know at present is that somehow this is what is used to download content to the Kindle.

I have found evidence in the Google Cache that we might be able to get a Kindle subscription to the Washington Post or the NYTimes. I think we already knew that.

If anyone finds anything more, please post it!

Last edited by Nate the great; 10-05-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, credit for this find goes to member leandroide.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Dunno, but when I do a search for "Amazon Whispernet" on google, I'm getting a hit on www.samazon.co.uk on the URL

When I follow the hits there's no mention of whispernet on the linked pages, but they're definitely on the www.samazon.co.uk server. Wonder if that mean's anything to anyone?

Here's the full URL http://www.samazon.co.uk/tag/tag2
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Dunno, but when I do a search for "Amazon Whispernet" on google, I'm getting a hit on www.samazon.co.uk on the URL

When I follow the hits there's no mention of whispernet on the linked pages, but they're definitely on the www.samazon.co.uk server. Wonder if that mean's anything to anyone?

Here's the full URL http://www.samazon.co.uk/tag/tag2
Go back to that page. Hover your cursor over the WashPost thumbnail. Look at what it says.

Then do a little dance for joy, because it was posted on amazon.co.uk !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, yes, so I see! And yeah, that's what I thought the .co.uk implied.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
I'd like to think this means EU distribution. But since it's just washPost
that's easy. I mean it's not like a book or something..

At least we know the hardware will be available in Europe.

(I know some would like to discus if that qualifies as Europe at all...)

Anyway, the kindle just got very very interesting.

(but ohh they could still screw with the design)

Thanks guys, great catch!
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'd say that the fact that any of it is available in Europe strongly suggests that at least a good percentage of material will be. Otherwise, what would be the point in deploying the hardware at all? Add to that the fact that Mobipocket (a French subsidiary of Amazon) is the likely source of Kindle's base offerings, and it makes me think Europe isn't going to get left out of this one. That's going to be a tough shot for Sony, there, but they've had a year to pull their finger out on this one, so it shouldn't exactly be a shock to them.

This also implies that the wireless isn't EVDO, doesn't it? I was thinking that EVDO wasn't implemented in the EU. That seems to corroborate the WiFi rumor we heard earlier.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'd say that the fact that any of it is available in Europe strongly suggests that at least a good percentage of material will be. Otherwise, what would be the point in deploying the hardware at all? Add to that the fact that Mobipocket (a French subsidiary of Amazon) is the likely source of Kindle's base offerings, and it makes me think Europe isn't going to get left out of this one. That's going to be a tough shot for Sony, there, but they've had a year to pull their finger out on this one, so it shouldn't exactly be a shock to them.

This also implies that the wireless isn't EVDO, doesn't it? I was thinking that EVDO wasn't implemented in the EU. That seems to corroborate the WiFi rumor we heard earlier.
Fact: The ebooks are described as "Kindle Edition".
My conclusion: They might not be Mobipocket. If they are, they will likely not work on any device other than the one Kindle you own.

Fact: The ebooks are "automatically delivered by Amazon Whispernet".
My conclusion: The Kindle is more likely to have EVDO than Wifi.

Fact: There are no Google Cached pages on Amazon.co.uk that show "kindle edition".(There was one, but it was not a listing; it was a collection page of stuff some trainee or tester grabbed at random.)
My conclusion: It might not be available in the UK.

These are just my WAGs. I make no guarantee about the accuracy of the WAGs.

Last edited by Nate the great; 10-06-2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: changed "won't" to "might not"
Old 10-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My conclusion: They might not be Mobipocket. If they are, they will likely not work on any device other than the one Kindle you own.
I acknowledge that possibility, but I really don't think they'd bring out another format ... why bother buying Mobi in the first place if they're gonna do that?
Old 10-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

In any case, the fact that they do own mobi means they also own distribution rights in Europe -- what possible reason could they have for ignoring a market that they have rights to?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
They also say Amazon will pack some free offerings onto the device, like reference books, and offer customers a choice of subscriptions to feeds from major newspapers like The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and the French newspaper Le Monde.
This quote is from the NY Times article. Why would they offer a subscription for Le Monde, if the device is not available in France (and Europe in general) ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
This quote is from the NY Times article. Why would they offer a subscription for Le Monde, if the device is not available in France (and Europe in general) ?
I think they mean Les Echoes, which has said that it will be available on the Kindle. But you are right, I goofed.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I was sprt of counting on it not being available in the EU...if they DO offer it here I'll be in real trouble because I know I'll want it and I also know I can't really afford it anytime soon...maybe I should start asking for donations or see whether I have some stuff around that I can sell...

I think it would be a great business move for Amazon to offer the Kindle and all ebooks worldwide. Amazon.de has not shown any signs of that, but since it's e-content it might be that EU customers will then just have to go to amazon.com to order ebooks for the Kindle...which would be cool for some europeans since the $ to € rate is very favourable...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Is .AZW the Kindle edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think the "kindle edition" is the AZW file format. I got this from the manual.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

More Kindle edition hints show up in the Google Cache

Some now say "available for pre-order" !