Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #31
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've ordered mine now. Delivery between the 6-8th November. It doesn't release in the UK until the 4th. It's £169 over here as we don't get a reduction for special offers or a defered payment option. I haven't decided on the case yet but I'll order one (or two) over the weekend.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #32
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser
ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Keyboard
Ordered the $219 Kindle Voyage, Wi-Fi, no special offers.

Estimated delivery: Tues. Oct. 21

I'm completely 50/50 on whether I'll keep or cancel this order. I have a PW2 that I love, so I have a few weeks to think about it. Wish it was closer to $150...that or if it had speakers/waterproof that would justify the price to me a little more.
ezzkmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #33
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I don't find my PW2 bright enough for my liking. Looking forward to this improvement alone. My children are old enough now that I pass everything on to them, so there's no guilt in buying more toys. Gave my daughter the PW and my son will get the PW2. Did the same with previous iPads.

Last edited by SCION; 09-19-2014 at 09:51 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #34
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Canada still waits...
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #35
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I think some of you might be looking for conspiracies where there aren't any, since you can remove the offers from that version later, you would logically expect them to order a lot more of that variant to start out with since it can be converted anyway.

Equally the demand for the non-SO versions may simply be higher since this is their premium model, people are already spending a fair amount over the cost of a pw so might just decide sod it and pay the extra $20 this time round.
I agree, I think it's as simple as that. I'm one of the ones who ordered without special offers and my feeling was just as you said - "people are already spending a fair amount over the cost of a pw so might just decide sod it and pay the extra $20 this time round."
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #36
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I agree, I think it's as simple as that. I'm one of the ones who ordered without special offers and my feeling was just as you said - "people are already spending a fair amount over the cost of a pw so might just decide sod it and pay the extra $20 this time round."
We've never even had the special offers available in Canada so it's not even an option. I don't understand why, they could offer stuff from the Canadian amazon site, why don't they? I might actually consider it if they had it.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #37
bearbops
bearbops began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
We've never even had the special offers available in Canada so it's not even an option. I don't understand why, they could offer stuff from the Canadian amazon site, why don't they? I might actually consider it if they had it.

Even here in Italy has never been available a kindle with special offers until now.
The new basic kindle is available at € 59 with ads and 79 without.
bearbops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #38
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
FYI...delivery date is now up to Nov 28 for Kindle Voyage WiFi with special offers
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #39
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I've never understood the reasons why some countries cannot seem to get the Special Offers. I guess there are legal and foreign trade issues to overcome. You would think that Canada and the USA would be more open trade-wise though.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #40
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Demand is HUGE !

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
FYI...delivery date is now up to Nov 28 for Kindle Voyage WiFi with special offers
I just called Mayday on my Fire HDX 7 2014 and they said our delivery dates are determined by demand from our particular location as it gets into the Amazon database.

It looks like my State poured in the orders and I got stuck with Nov 28 for my WiFi non-SO unit.

If folks wait another week or two, they may be looking at 2015 deliveries.

They also said that the dates and prices of special order removal have not yet been determined.

The girl I was speaking to was from China and I could barely understand her. I may have missed a lot of what she said.

As I remember from the Paperwhite 2012 and 2013, I also ordered the WiFi non-SO units and also had to wait longer than others. I remember the first shipments had many, many screen defects with colored spots, cracks, etc. Also, I remember the SO's could not be removed immediately. There were some delays on both models.

As I remember, the same was true of the Fires back then. I also got my units later than others due to blocking the SO's.

I remember many folks returning their units and never replacing them. Hopefully, Amazon has improved their Foxwoods factory in China and has better quality control this time.

When I finally received my units, I noticed no defects and kept all my original shipments. I have had no trouble on my PW's or Fires but received all later than others.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-19-2014 at 04:06 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just called Mayday on my Fire HDX 7 2014 and they said our delivery dates are determined by demand from our particular location as it gets into the Amazon database.

It looks like my State poured in the orders and I got stuck with Nov 28 for my WiFi non-SO unit.

If folks wait another week or two, they may be looking at 2015 deliveries.

They also said that the dates and prices of special order removal have not yet been determined.

The girl I was speaking to was from China and I could barely understand her. I may have missed a lot of what she said.
That makes sense. I suspect Amazon uses sophisticated algorithms to predict the number of orders for each distribution warehouse location and tries to push an appropriate number of items to each location to handle the predicted orders. Some locations are bound to run out of allotments faster than others.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #42
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I ordered the Voyage 3G w/SO at 3:15 pm US EDT and they gave me an expected delivery date of October 29th. That was the earliest I could get out of all options. I'll turn off the SO ASAP as I prefer to get straight to the book when I'm reading.

I haven't had a 3G model since the Kindle Keyboard. Figured I'd go for it this time.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #43
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I think some of you might be looking for conspiracies where there aren't any, since you can remove the offers from that version later, you would logically expect them to order a lot more of that variant to start out with since it can be converted anyway.

Equally the demand for the non-SO versions may simply be higher since this is their premium model, people are already spending a fair amount over the cost of a pw so might just decide sod it and pay the extra $20 this time round.
That would be logical. On the other hand, since it is nothing but a software switch, that means ALL Kindles should be SO, and Amazon should turn it off when shipping to you if necessary.

And then they wouldn't have to leave the SO/non-SO having different availabilities.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #44
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That would be logical. On the other hand, since it is nothing but a software switch, that means ALL Kindles should be SO, and Amazon should turn it off when shipping to you if necessary.

And then they wouldn't have to leave the SO/non-SO having different availabilities.
But don't forget that the boxes and/or internal docs might be labelled differently. I seem to recall the SO models had SO listed on the box. Of course Amazon could make the boxes and any internal docs totally generic, but they probably won't.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #45
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
There is no way that removal of special orders is disabled on the Voyage. If Amazon is any smart, then they will do the same as they do with the Paperwhite - have the SO not really hinder reading, but make them annoying enough that you want to disable them. Especially if using the automatic wakeup feature of the cover. Of course, you can tell yourself that the SO are not that bad - except you wouldn't be necessary looking for the premium (aka most expensive) reader if saving money is top priority.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote