Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
jonnybgood
jonnybgood began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin eReader V3
Smile How To for V3 newbies?

Can anyone direct me to a "How To" for newbies that gives hints on how to optimise or convert files for best readability?

For example, my V3 displays pdf files OK but even at maximum font size in Lanscape view, the print is very small.

With txt files there are quite a few blank screens.

Most of the discussion here is by and for people with pretty high computer skills. Any suggestions for a V3 newbie with only moderate computer skills?
jonnybgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Kraken
Kraken began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox-S, Hanlin v3 (dead)
Hi, Jonny. If you read Spanish, here there is a long thread about ereaders in general.

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_Anali...?pagenumber=19

It contains specific info about converting files for the V3 using BookDesigner.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
sweetcream
sweetcream began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hi, I've only just received my Hanlin this week to from www.iscriptum.eu

I find that Hanlin displays font sizes as the original file was. So if you had a PDF at font 10 it would be quite small, whilst if it was 12 or 14 it would be quite big even without pressing Zoom inside the reader. So my advice is to increase the font size on your PC if you can.

I don't have blank spaces in my text files though? I'm reading a few text files in chinese and it's OK.

Anyone know why Hanlin always sorts files inside directories in a rubbish order and it needs sorting for every new folder I go into?
sweetcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcream View Post
Anyone know why Hanlin always sorts files inside directories in a rubbish order and it needs sorting for every new folder I go into?
The V3 sorts on date/time by default
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
sweetcream
sweetcream began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
The V3 sorts on date/time by default
Thats a very stupid way to sort files by default unless it's in the "recently viewed" folder.
sweetcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcream View Post
Thats a very stupid way to sort files by default unless it's in the "recently viewed" folder.
Even there it's not very useful: in the "recently viewed" folder it would be better to sort by the last read date instead of the last modification date of the file.

Fortunately, this setting can be changed from the menu. Unfortunately, you need to do it for every folder and sub-folder separately.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
sankar10
sankar10 began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3
Can anyone guide me as to how to choose fonts . I hear so much about the free serif font . I have the crengine folder with free fonts downloaded and copied to that folder . The menu gives a choice regarding the size ,but I do not, know how to choose the fonta. Thanks for any help
sankar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sankar10 View Post
Can anyone guide me as to how to choose fonts . I hear so much about the free serif font .
Probably mainly from me. *grins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankar10 View Post
I have the crengine folder with free fonts downloaded and copied to that folder . The menu gives a choice regarding the size ,but I do not, know how to choose the fonta. Thanks for any help
Which firmware version are you using?

For the 08.03.18 lBook version or the V1.25 2008-03-XX Jinke versions, the font can be selected from the menu, same as the font size. If you have the 08.01.29 lBook version or the V1.25 2008-01-28 Jinke version (or possibly even older versions), extract the fb2.css file (which is the one I currently use) from the attached fb2.css.zip and copy it to the crengine folder on the SD card. (Note: the crengine folder must be on the SD card, not on the internal flash drive!)
Attached Files
File Type: zip fb2.css.zip (745 Bytes, 782 views)
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 AM   #9
sankar10
sankar10 began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3
[QUOTE=Gudy;166560]Probably mainly from me. *grins*

Which firmware version are you using?

For the 08.03.18 lBook version or the V1.25 2008-03-XX Jinke versions, the font can be selected from the menu, same as the font size. If you have the 08.01.29 lBook version or the V1.25 2008-01-28 Jinke version (or possibly even older versions), extract the fb2.css file (which is the one I currently use) from the attached fb2.css.zip and copy it to the crengine folder on the SD card. (Note: the crengine folder must be on the SD card, not on the internal flash drive!)[/QUOTE
Thanks, I was using the earlier version as per your advice. Sorted now.
sankar10 is offline   Reply With Quote