Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: During take-off and landing I...
put my reader to sleep and put it away 103 42.04%
shut my reader down and put it away 45 18.37%
continue reading unless/until a flight attendant tells me to put it away 57 23.27%
ignore the flight attendant and keep reading until I get arrested and hauled off the plane 9 3.67%
I never fly, but I like answering poll questions 31 12.65%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Take-off, Landing, and Your Ereader -- A Poll

Maybe this will get moved to General but I mean it as a companion to the FAA discussion.

So, what do you do with YOUR ereader during take-off and landing?
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
I've been known to tell the attendent that it's off and keep reading. Stupid rules just engender disrespect for all rules.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I can't read during take-off/landing because of motion sickness so it's a non-issue. If we're sitting around not moving I usually browse the sky mall magazine.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I put it in its case, but have it peeking out of the top. I set the font real small, but I usually chicken out, and read about useless items from sky mall.

My husband is a pilot (not commercial), and he says this is ridiculous. But flight attendants are so surly now, I act like a sheep.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
For me it is a mixture of 2 and 3. First I put it away (I close the cover, I never turn it off or put in sleep mode). Then, sometimes, not always, I continuing reading as the plane picks up speed on the runway and the stewardesses have settled into their seats.

Same with all devices, phones, tablets, etc. I just turn on flight mode and set them to vibrate.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
There are sneaky ways to continue reading.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There are sneaky ways to continue reading.
I actually thought of that ... but I prefer aisle seats, and they see it very clearly when they look over your shoulder. It would be easier hiding it when sitting by the window.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I generally put it to sleep and keep it in my lap rather than put it away. I will sometimes wait until they ask me to turn it off, but try not to do that. I just tend to get absorbed in the book.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I actually just put it away - into the back pocket of the chair in front as long as it's clean enough. I have to put it away otherwise like Dazrin I will get too absorbed in the book. The wifi is always turned off.
It goes to sleep itself after 10 minutes - wish my kids did that!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I turn off the wireless and 3G stuff and keep reading. If a flight attendant picks it up I slip it into the pocket in front of me and wait for the seatbelt light to go off.

I think its stupid to have to turn it off but think its even more stupid to make a scene.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
On my tablet I would turn off the wifi and put it in sleep mode. My readers I would simply put in sleep mode. But not because I'm asked, but rather because I know I won't be able to read anyway... If I'm near a window, I'll be plastered to it, if I'm not I'd be trying to get to see as much as possible

Flying is not something I do regularly, so, I'm always excited during take-off and landing...

The last time, the flight attendant asked me to turn off my photocamera. Needless to say (as I was sitting next to a window), I turned it off, only to turn it back one the moment her back was turned. I wanted to record our taking off!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am disturbed by this seemingly prevalent attitude that "the rules don't apply to me". Whether or not they are there for a good reason, the "you must switch off electronics" rule IS there, and it's a part of the deal when you fly that you abide by these rules. If you don't like the rules, find some other means of transport!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Not worth the trouble to argue and cause the flight attendant stress. I can survive for quite a while without outside entertainment/stimulation.

Of course after a day or so I might actually try talking the person in the next seat or taking a nap.

Then again I only fly 4-8 times in an average year. Might be more of an issue if I did it oftener or perhaps I would bring a paper book.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I just make sure the wifi is off. Over the 2-3 years I never had attendant tell me to turn it off. Once one of them even asked about what it was then told the person next to me to turn his laptop off.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #15
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I usually close the cover and put in the seat back pocket in front of me. Then I browse the sky mall magazine or flip through the airline magazine.

I fly often enough to know that I get better service if I behave like a good passenger.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote