Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
dazcox
Enthusiast
dazcox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
I can't read in the sun?!? Bye bye e-reader!

What the heck!?!?

Just went outside in the sun (UK so hardly tropical!) and the screen on my cooler faded right out straight away!

Thought (nay hoped) it was broke went inside to reset it, and the screen is fine!

Did I miss this in the sales material? I can read my paper books on the beach or in my garden but not an e-book?!?

Should I return it - I don't know if this is a fault or not?
dazcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
There's nothing wrong, I think. I've got 4 different devices and I can't understand why some people keep saying e-ink doesn't fade. It does: on ALL of the readers I've got, really.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
dazcox
Enthusiast

Oh. That's kinda rubbish to hear.

I did buy my cooler at Argos UK - I think I should be OK to get it replaced as it's within the year warrenty...or maybe I'll see if I can swap for a Sony PRS300 I hear that doesn't fade, failing that it's back to paper. Not even my iPad when I get it will do sunshine - I thought that was used as an arguement FOR e-ink - that'll teach me for listening to the marketing guys!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What works great for me is to hold it in a ball cap and let the brim shade it. Quick, easy, and cheap.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
dazcox
Enthusiast

Yeah, holding it in a cap just to make it work doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Plus I look stupid in hats of any kind!

It's going back to the store in about 5 minutes. Hope they'll exchange it for a Sony, or at worst for another Cool-er. 3rd one in less than 6 months...Hope they've sorted their production issues before the new models launch (if they ever do...)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My Kindle doesn't have the problem, so there's something wrong with your screens.
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A small percentage of eInk screens have this issue. It affects ALL makes of reader. You should contact the retailer and get the device replaced.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
I read mine in bright sunshine all the time, never had a problem, reads just like a book.
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Well, let's see it in this way: that's a subjective thing. Like the SonyPRS600 display glare issue: some people say it's unreadable; some people say you don't even notice it; some people say it annoys a bit, but it's all right anyway. You have to see it by yourself.

I'll tell you: it depends on sunlight intensity. I noticed that if I take a walk under heavy sunlight and I'm reading my ebook reader at the same time, it fades out - but I'm still able to read it (not very well, but still).
I think that if you check the forum here and there you will find a lot of people who will tell: "my device fades out" and some people who will answer them: "your device is defective: I've got the same model and mine does not fade!" and some people too who will say: "mine's fading too!", speaking of the same device.
Just like Sony Touch glare...
Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Like HarryT said, the screen fading issue affects a small percentage of screens that were manufactured by LG. I've owned a 505 that did not fade in sunlight. I then had a 600 that did fade but replaced it for another 600 that has no fade. If you get sun fade, try to exchange it for another one. Maybe try to compare serial numbers of the old and new device as this may give some indication of the manufacturer.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems to happen, though, even with newly-sold machines. There have been a number of reports of BeBook Neo's with the problem, for example (although mine is fine).
Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Geppetto
Addict

I'm positively sure that my Cybook Gen3, my Sony PRS300 and my Hanvon N520 do fade... so, you're telling me that all of them are defective: oh my, I must be really, really, REALLY unlucky!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm equally certain that none of my devices DO fade, so where does that leave us? There really do seem to be a few screens that fade to invisibility in even moderate sunlight - it's an acknowledged issue by the manufacturer.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
Geppetto
Addict

I think I stated badly. I wrote they fade, but not completely: that's not what I meant. It happens that letters fade a little, and become thinner, but I can read nevertheless.

So, my question is: what do you mean when you're complaining that your device's fading under sunlight? Is it fading completely? Is it fading a little? Do letters get thinner?
I say: if you say letters get thinner, my answer is "yeah, that's an ordinary thing"

I think most people who are complaining misunderstand this point.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
I think I stated badly. I wrote they fade, but not completely: that's not what I meant. It happens that letters fade a little, and become thinner, but I can read nevertheless.

So, my question is: what do you mean when you're complaining that your device's fading under sunlight? Is it fading completely? Is it fading a little? Do letters get thinner?
I say: if you say letters get thinner, my answer is "yeah, that's an ordinary thing"

I think most people who are complaining misunderstand this point.
THIS (see attached pics) is what we mean.
If EVERY SINGLE ONE of your devices has this problem..... well, I'd say you have an extremely faithful girlfriend .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG
Views:	1223
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	50439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.JPG
Views:	1139
Size:	546.3 KB
ID:	50440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.JPG
Views:	1182