Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #22621
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And the rains have come in. Sigh. Time to tuck the chickens back into their coop, and then brew a pot of Lapsang Souchong.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #22622
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
BTW
If anyone is in the Pittsburgh, PA, USA area, I will be the guest preacher on Sunday 12/31 at Cranberry Baptist Church for the morning service. Sop by, but please leave your tomatoes at home out of respect of the Lord of the house
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #22623
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And the rains have come in. Sigh. Time to tuck the chickens back into their coop, and then brew a pot of Lapsang Souchong.
Thank you for the blanket! Could I have some of that tea too?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #22624
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
New Belguim Snow Day. Yummy beer
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #22625
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Water in my glass. Later I will make a cup full of milk and cereal.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #22626
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8gU9Aj_Oo )

Good morning all! Rainy day, rainy day.... cold and rainy day.... Extra Smoky Lapsang Souchong tea from McNultey's today, with a couple off fried eggs. I had to teach my wife what 'two eggs, over hard' meant. (She also learned her choice; two eggs, sunny side up!) Gonna be a slow day today... play a little music, maybe we'll play together. Do some reading, climb some stairs, and hunt the Internet. I do NOT want to go to any of the shopping centers... Last week there was a two kilometer long line waiting to get into the parking area of one of the larger Malls... I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than put up with crowds like that!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #22627
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Thank you for the blanket! Could I have some of that tea too?
No, we don't let the chickens have Lapsang Souchong. The last thing I want is smoky flavoured eggs for breakfast.

Finished up the afternoon with a bit of Okayti Estate 1st Flush Darjeeling while sitting in my chair with puppy on lap, fireplace roaring, and re-reading a Bujold Vorkosigan. Ah, now that's relaxation....

Tomorrow I start two chorizos -- Mexican and Basque. And Sunday is the big holiday Tamale making party.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #22628
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
<snip>Tomorrow I start two chorizos -- Mexican and Basque. And Sunday is the big holiday Tamale making party.
What do you put in your chorizo? My ex never knew what was in chorizo until a friend read the package he found in my refrigerator. That was the end of chorizo in the house. They threw it out and wanted to see the ingredients of anything I cooked from then on.

Tamales yum. We haven't made them for years. We just do enchiladas for Christmas Eve now. How do you make your Tamales?

*decaf sumatra in my cup*
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #22629
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Good morning all! Rainy day, rainy day.... cold and rainy day.... Extra Smoky Lapsang Souchong tea from McNultey's today, with a couple off fried eggs. I had to teach my wife what 'two eggs, over hard' meant. (She also learned her choice; two eggs, sunny side up!) Gonna be a slow day today... play a little music, maybe we'll play together. Do some reading, climb some stairs, and hunt the Internet. I do NOT want to go to any of the shopping centers... Last week there was a two kilometer long line waiting to get into the parking area of one of the larger Malls... I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than put up with crowds like that!

Stitchawl
Very wet and cold here too. Big puddles all over the place.

A very naïve question now - does Christmas have any impact on Japan. I assume there are quite a large number of Christians there, so does it get reflected in the shops etc., and celebrated at home with a tree and decorations? I could look it up, of course, but then you would never know the depth of my ignorance, and I know your answer will be way more edifying .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #22630
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
A very naïve question now - does Christmas have any impact on Japan. I assume there are quite a large number of Christians there, so does it get reflected in the shops etc., and celebrated at home with a tree and decorations? I could look it up, of course, but then you would never know the depth of my ignorance, and I know your answer will be way more edifying .
Actually, I've been asked that question by many people over the years. Let me answer it from two fronts;
Yes, Christmas decorations all over, lights strung up in front of houses, department store staff wearing Santa hats, and mall music is Christmas carols. Even young people switching their wool winter hats for Santa hats for a week or two for everyday wear. Shopping centers are jammed with people looking for gifts, Christmas cakes and candies every where you look. Candy canes, elves and reindeer, the whole nine yards.
But...
I've never seen a Nativity Display. In 25 years I've never seen one depiction of the Three Wise Guys standing around the manger. I've never seen nor heard any religious connotations. There are plenty of Christian churches everywhere here. They just built a brand new Jehovah's Witness Center a couple of blocks away. (I'm not sure if they celebrate Christmas... or if that's the 7th Day Adventist people I'm thinking of?)

The other day when I taught my Senior Citizen English class some Christmas music... in English... everyone knew the tunes, just not the English words. One of the women was Christian and she had to explain to the others the meaning/reason for the words to The Little Drummer Boy.

Even in remote parts of northern Thailand, up along the Burmese border where most of the folks live in bamboo villages with dirt streets, and normal dress is still the traditional costumes for the women, (even if Mickey Mouse T-shirts are worn underneath,) Santa still comes to town and the Christmas lights are strung up everywhere. Here's an old photo a shot in a street market near the border some years ago... Mother and daughter are of the Paduang tribe, live in bamboo huts with no indoor plumbing, but daughter has the Spirit!

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChgDao5.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	98074  
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #22631
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Wow, I am amazed. I thought there may be a passing tip of the hat to the Western tradition, but had no idea it was so embedded in the national psyche. Thanks for the explanation.

Rooibos in my cup, before I head out into the cold and wey to collect daughter number 2 from a sleep-over.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #22632
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Slept in until 7:15 and am sitting on. He couch p,aying the Beatles for Lucas while he eats his various toys. Niece and nephew are in the basement playing video games. Life is good.

Rooibos in my cup.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #22633
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Slept in until 7:15 and am sitting on. He couch p,aying the Beatles for Lucas while he eats his various toys. Niece and nephew are in the basement playing video games. Life is good.

Rooibos in my cup.
Did you have a picture made of Lucas with Santa this year?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #22634
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I assume there are quite a large number of Christians there,
This is not a correct assumption. The most up to date number I could find on it is about 1% of Japan is Christian....that was as of 2010.

BUT we need to remember there are two different holidays celebrated on 12/25 with the same name. There is the secular partying/Santa loving commercialized holiday, and the Christian high holiday. Japan, among other non-christian groups has embraced the secular holiday. Jews, and atheists alike often celebrate the secular version of Christmas.

This not to say some Christians do not celebrate both versions (I would guess most do) but not all do. Their is a similar problem at Easter - which is really the most important day of the Christian year.

VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #22635
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I have not. I amtoying with the idea but not thrilled with standing in line.

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?