Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
mkozlows
Enthusiast
mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage/KOReader
Readers that sync

So, I've been looking at all the e-reading apps out there, and I've settled on Moon+ Reader as the best option, but before I nail that down and buy the paid version, I want to double-check with you guys to make sure I haven't missed some other, better alternatives.

The key features that I absolutely want (all of which Moon+ provides, but -- as far as I could tell -- nothing else did):

1. Ability to work when held left-handed. Cool Reader actually had the best solution for this, with its mappable touch zones, but Moon+'s selection of touch zones provides one that's reasonable.

2. Ability to sync to Calibre's ODPS sharing. FBReader had this with plugins, but was missing on other things. Moon+ does this well natively.

3. Ability to sync read position across devices. Moon+ does this with Dropbox, and it works great. As far as I can tell, other readers don't do this at all? (Other than things like Kindle, which aren't useful for me, as I'm not locking into a vendor-proprietary solution.)

Given my desiderata, any other recommendations for me? Have I missed out on capabilities of Cool Reader (which seems like the app that gets the most love here)?
mkozlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I wasn't aware that Moon+ synced with dropbox internally, I'll have to look at it.

I just posted about another new app, Fabrik, that also syncs with dropbox, without needed a helper app (like FBReader or Aldiko).

Fabrik doesn't have ODPS yet, but I believe the developer intends to add it later.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Mantano do all that you require.

You can reassign touch sensitive areas.
It is a full blown ODPS client.
It has a proprietary cloud service for sync and backup.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Can any one tell me how you connect moon+ reader pro to my dropbox as the official website is useless and i have tried googling it without any luck

http://moondownload.com/faq.html
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
jillmess
Enthusiast
jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Can any one tell me how you connect moon+ reader pro to my dropbox as the official website is useless and i have tried googling it without any luck

When you have a book open - goto Settings/Miscellaneous - last option is 'Sync reading positions via Dropbox'.

Jill
jillmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlows View Post
(Other than things like Kindle, which aren't useful for me, as I'm not locking into a vendor-proprietary solution.)
Just for the record, I convert my epubs to mobi and then add Amazon's ASIN. I then send a copy to my Nook and my phone and it syncs between the two (using the Kindle for Android app).
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmess View Post
When you have a book open - goto Settings/Miscellaneous - last option is 'Sync reading positions via Dropbox'.

Jill
Ok thanks fella i already did that but for some reason i nether thought to tap the book in dropbox for some reason. i was expecting pro reader to display the books on the readers book shelf.

Google drive is a piece of junk compared to dropdox,i cant access ebooks or neatly set up a nice ordered layout like i can with dropbox.

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-05-2012 at 05:25 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
mkozlows
Enthusiast
mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Mantano do all that you require.

You can reassign touch sensitive areas.
Can it? I didn't see this in the menus anywhere. I actually like its epub rendering the best of any of the readers I've tried, but I couldn't figure out how to do this at all.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The option to reassign touch sensitive areas can be found under Options / Reader / Gestures. At least for the premium version of Mantano.

There you can specify what effect, if any, swipe left / right / up / down or single tap left / right / top / bottom / center should have.

I mapped both single tap left / right to next page, and kept swipe left / right mapped to previous / next page.

Last edited by Adoby; 10-08-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
mkozlows
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
The option to reassign touch sensitive areas can be found under Options / Reader / Gestures. At least for the premium version of Mantano.
Must be premium-only, because there's no "Gestures" selection in the Options/Reader menu. Thanks, though.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Amogh Harish
Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: MacBook Air, iPad Mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Moto G
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post

Please do note, that you need to have the Dropbox app installed on your Android device before you can sync with it. After you've installed it, you can Sync your last reading position via Dropbox. If it's your fist time on the device, it'll ask you to authorize the app. After that, it does work consistently.

I prefer to use Kindle's WhisperSync though. Converting ePubs to mobi and then sideloading to my Android tablet, phones and K4PC and Kindle, I can get them to sync across all the devices. One shortcoming, though, is that it doesn'y sync the highlights, notes or bookmarks. Just the reading postions. But hey, beggers can't be choosers.

As for books bought from the Kindle Store, they sync everything.
Amogh Harish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
Serapeum
Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Moon Reader+
I've never managed to get Moon+ Reader Pro syncing across devices, despite having the DropBox option enabled. Is there some specific sequence you have to follow to get the updated location opened by the second device?
Serapeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #13
mkozlows
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapeum View Post
I've never managed to get Moon+ Reader Pro syncing across devices, despite having the DropBox option enabled. Is there some specific sequence you have to follow to get the updated location opened by the second device?
No, but if the books are stored with different names, they won't sync up. I had this happen to me -- one device had books that I had grabbed from Calibre using FBReader's plugin, and one I grabbed them directly with Moon+. They didn't sync up at all. When I deleted the FBReader version on the one device and grabbed it with Moon+, it was all good.

Incidentally, I've removed the Calibre integration from my list of things I care about -- it was annoying not being able to get my books when I was away from home, so I put my Calibre library on Dropbox, and now I can just open books up from Dropbox and import them into Moon+.

I tried out that new Fabrik reader, but its ePub rendering is terrible, so.