Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
NA vs YA?

Okay, I am a bit confused here... what is the difference between "New Adult" and "Young Adult" genres?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Maybe NA also includes those older people that have finally been beaten down by the system and decided to behave more maturely? ... And maybe kids that you hear described as: "she was born 50".

(In other words: No idea. Where are you seeing "NA"? You sure they don't mean "not applicable"?)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Maybe NA also includes those older people that have finally been beaten down by the system and decided to behave more maturely? ... And maybe kids that you hear described as: "she was born 50".

(In other words: No idea. Where are you seeing "NA"? You sure they don't mean "not applicable"?)
Well... in my post I list "New Adult" and "Young Adult" so I thought the connection to NA and YA would be obvious... sorry.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New-adult_fiction

Looks like it's just people in their early 20s dealing with early-20s stuff. Like how YA is basically 15-19 year olds, maybe a little older or a little younger.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I wonder if this ever more specific age categorisation is the result of having so much being published online? I mean, it's not as though there are actually more readers now ... are there? Or maybe it's so that all those that were YA, but have gotten older, will know what they should be reading now? I'm waiting for PA (Proper Adult - we can't pretend any longer), MA (Middle Aged - don't call me old) and AA (Aging Adult - well over the hill, and loving it) categories .

Having them selves on, it seems to me. As far as I can tell people will read what they like, whatever age group is given by a publisher. Young kids have long read stuff that was theoretically too old for them, and enjoyed it and learned lots along the way. And there are many older readers that love kids and YA fiction for the simple escapism with minimal effort they offer.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
OMG, yes of course we need another category!

Why didn't I think of that!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
OMG, yes of course we need another category!

Why didn't I think of that!
Judging by your avatar, you are just getting to old to think of new things!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Judging by your avatar, you are just getting to old to think of new things!
I know, but at least I have all the TECH!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote