Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #46
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I think that whether you use buttons or primarily swipe also is a factor. I think if you primarily use buttons then you won't see this issue. I often swap back and forth. 50/50 either way.

Hmm. Hubby and I both swipe generally, but his went a full week until tonight without a crash. I was doing a lot of font switching though, so that might've triggered it, perhaps it got overwhelmed. Still, I may suggest hubby carry a paperclip in his wallet, just in case.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #47
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I decided to do a test-case. Wi-fi was in standby. I opened another periodical (Wall Street Journal this time) and decided that I would just keep reading and swiping. I wouldn't Wikipedia anything or exit or put it to sleep or switch between buttons & swiping. 30 minutes and about 160 swipes later it did the page flipping and touch freeze thing. Now I am typing this post while I wait for it to unfreeze. I've been reading all week with no issues.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #48
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedroRosso View Post
Still no freezes on the new unit, been sharing it with my girl so it's been getting something like 6 hours of use a day. Firmware version is 1.0.00.09010 same as everyone's (I think). If my new unit freezes, I'll let you know.
Thanks Cedro. Do you and your girl primarily use swipe or buttons to turn pages?

I've never had an issue when using buttons, only when using swipe for long periods of time.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #49
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Please - if anyone is having these freeze problems, report it on the Sony Support forum. There are I think 2 threads on the forum dealing with this freezing problem. I think it would be good if we make them aware of the problem. Calling into Support is good, but this is another avenue that should be used so that, hopefully, the word gets to the right people. I am still not convinced that they were not aware of this issue beforehand.

So, in addition to calling into Support for help or an exchange, also use the forum. It can't hurt!

Here's the link provided by SCION -

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewforum.php?f=53
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #50
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Thanks Cedro. Do you and your girl primarily use swipe or buttons to turn pages?
I've never had an issue when using buttons, only when using swipe for long periods of time.
I decided to try buttons only as a test. I read for nearly two hours with no issues.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #51
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
When I talked with Sony last time they said they were sending me a survey to fill out. I filled it out & reported the issues I had with the T1. I also mentioned that their support team needs to be more aware of what is going on with the T1. Unless we report these issues to Sony they are not going to be aware of how prevalent it is.

As for only using the buttons to read, that is not why I bought a touch screen. But it is something Sony should be aware of. It may help them narrow down the problem.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #52
darex2
darex2 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350 (and PRS-505; for sale)
Hmmm...

This was my fear when I learned that the T1 was now Android-based. This is why I have an iPhone.

I played with a T1 today and really liked the differences between it and my PRS-350. It was tempting.

Now, I'm not sure. Maybe I should wait to see how the Kindle Touch is organized and how responsive it is.
darex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #53
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
When mine has either crashed and/or frozen a simple power off-on has cured the issue.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #54
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

My girl says it froze once on her today—she says that she was flipping forwards through pages (swipe and hold), then tried to swipe backwards while it was flipping forwards. Interestingly, I've experienced almost no freezing and I almost never use swipe, whereas she uses swipe exclusively and seems to experience freezes more often.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #55
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I had my first dictionary pop-up touch-screen freeze. My freezes are when I am reading periodicals because those are the type of files that I just plain read and swipe. The touch-screen froze after 20 minutes of reading and swiping. I let it come back to life without doing a reset. Then I started reading the periodical again. 45 minutes later no freezing by swiping so I thought all was well. Then I opened a word in the dictionary, and the touch-screen froze.

I still do not have freeze issues when I read books, except the one time that I was in a car with no Wi-fi access to distract me while reading.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #56
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
btw, when i called Sony about my freezing problem, i was told twice it was the first time they heard about it....take that for what it's worth.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #57
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
btw, when i called Sony about my freezing problem, i was told twice it was the first time they heard about it....take that for what it's worth.
Folks should tell them to check their own support forum.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #58
fishman69
Enthusiast
fishman69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sonys - 500, 505, 900, T1; Kindles - 2, 3; Nook - Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Hi!

I'm trying to get handle on these reports of T1 crashes/freezes. Wondering if it's limited to a few isolated readers (which I assume you can exchange for a properly working unit) or if it's a more widespread problem.

If you've used a T1 for at least 3 days (preferably more) how often has it crashed/froze?

Also, if you experienced crashes, were you able to resolve the problem, and if so, how?

Thanks for any and all insight.
I received mine on October 12 so I guess I barely meet that 3 day requirement. It has crashed once when I dumped 600 books onto it in one fell swoop. But a reset cleared all.

I do, however, find it a lot faster to shut down and restart (not a reset) when I transfer new books on. That LOADING thing seems to take forever, but it seems faster (it probably is not) if I do the shutdown and restart.

Harvey
fishman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #59
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you use calibre, loading large sets of books should be much faster. Kolenka has wrote a driver that will update the database on the T1 from your calibre metadata when transferring books.

If you just drag and drop books, when you disconnect from USB, the T1 has to scan inside all the epubs you loaded to update the database on the device, so will be a lot of heavy lifting for large sets of files.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #60
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by darex2 View Post
Hmmm...

This was my fear when I learned that the T1 was now Android-based. This is why I have an iPhone.

I played with a T1 today and really liked the differences between it and my PRS-350. It was tempting.

Now, I'm not sure. Maybe I should wait to see how the Kindle Touch is organized and how responsive it is.
YUP. I have tried two android phones and both have froze and restarted when doing simple things like changing the ringer. Android has a serious flaw when it comes to resets and freezes.

This is one of the reasosn I may stay away from the T1.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote