Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
Marginalia

I read non-fiction books hard. With a flexible see-thru ruler in my left hand and a gel pen in my right, I underline my way through.

And copious marginalia: notes or sarcastic comments or sad and smiley faces. If the book makes me mad or inspired I fill the margins with argument.

The Sony Reader is fine for fiction because I can bookmark the occasional profound thought I want to recall, and I don't scribble on fiction much.

Any chance of Sony making possible highlighting (my underlining) or notetaking that incorporates itself onto the page? They'd have to have a keyboard of some kind.

I know true librarian types flinch at this kind of behavior, but my complete collection of Poe has a whole section on Poe's marginalia in other people's books --- so it's not just me who does that.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, theoretically it's possible but with the existing input options it will be very slow and cumbersome. You'll be much better off with iLiad or a PocketPC/Palm.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I just mumble to myself instead. Saves on pens. You know, sometimes it seems to me that when you write down an idea, it just leaves your brain faster.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I have a notebook where I put up inspirations the reading provoques.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phebe
Any chance of Sony making possible highlighting (my underlining) or notetaking that incorporates itself onto the page? They'd have to have a keyboard of some kind.
I don't know about highlighting per se, but it would presumably be fairly easy to recognize a press of the mark key as marking the page, and a double-click of the mark key as a request for a "highlight", which would bring up the numbered arrows on the right-hand side that you see in the menu, allowing you to bookmark with accuracy of 1/10 of a page, which is pretty close....

ScS
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert