Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Marvin and Calibre 2.00

Hi

I was wondering when Marvin will be working with calibre 2.00 and will it be announced here? I went back to 1.48 and don't want to upgrade again until I know it's working correctly again.

Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since the database for Calibre 2.1 (current version as of this post) is the same as 1.48, download and install the Calibre 1.48 portable in another directory. Run 1.48 when you want to use the plugins to talk to Marvin. When you don't, you can run the 2.1 version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Josieb1 - The plugin isn't written by myself so I can't give you a timeline. @Philantrop (who takes care of the plugins) is aware of the problem and looking into it. I'm confident he'll sort it out.

Note that the issue is between the plugin and calibre not between Marvin and the plugin. There isn't anything for me to really do in Marvin.

I haven't tried @JSWolf's suggestion, but his methods appears to be sound.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since the database for Calibre 2.1 (current version as of this post) is the same as 1.48, download and install the Calibre 1.48 portable in another directory. Run 1.48 when you want to use the plugins to talk to Marvin. When you don't, you can run the 2.1 version.
How can I download Calibre and run two versions of the same program on the same pc?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Josieb1 - The plugin isn't written by myself so I can't give you a timeline. @Philantrop (who takes care of the plugins) is aware of the problem and looking into it. I'm confident he'll sort it out.

Note that the issue is between the plugin and calibre not between Marvin and the plugin. There isn't anything for me to really do in Marvin.

I haven't tried @JSWolf's suggestion, but his methods appears to be sound.
Thank you Kris, but basically all I want to know is how will I know when it's fixed.

Calibre plugins will either work with the Aura or Marvin, I can't have both. I guess it's easier just deleting the Marvin app right now than it is manually deleting 500 books on the Aura.
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

It's annoying as I like Marvin, but the iOS plugin not working is very annoying, especially as I had no idea until I upgraded to 2.00 that this was the case. And there's still no official announcement. I use Marvin solely because it worked with Calibre and now it doesn't.

I don't care who's fault it is I only want it fixed.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
How can I download Calibre and run two versions of the same program on the same pc?
I just did this, so I know it works.

Download Calibre 1.48 portable from http://download.calibre-ebook.com/1....ler-1.48.0.exe

Next, run the installer and install it. Then use Windows Explorer to go to the directory you installed it in and right click on the file calibre-portable.exe, select send to and then select Desktop (create shortcut). You will then have an icon on your desktop for both Calibre 2.x and Calibre 1.48 portable.

One thing you will want to do is to turn off the notification on new version in the settings for the portable version.

Also, you can copy your Calibre 2.x settings into the Calibre Portable 1.58 settings directory and then install the plugins you want/need for Marvin.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Download Calibre 1.48 portable from http://download.calibre-ebook.com/1....ler-1.48.0.exe

Next, run the installer and install it. Then use Windows Explorer to go to the directory you installed it in and right click on the file calibre-portable.exe, select send to and then select Desktop (create shortcut). You will then have an icon on your desktop for both Calibre 2.x and Calibre 1.48 portable.

One thing you will want to do is to turn off the notification on new version in the settings for the portable version.

Also, you can copy your Calibre 2.x settings into the Calibre Portable 1.58 settings directory and then install the plugins you want/need for Marvin.

Thank you. can I ask one question though can both Calibre's point go the same Calibre Library? I'd only want to update one library.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you. can I ask one question though can both Calibre's point go the same Calibre Library? I'd only want to update one library.
Yes, they can both point to the same library. But you can only run one version at a time. Do not try to run both at the same time.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, they can both point to the same library. But you can only run one version at a time. Do not try to run both at the same time.
Thank you again.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Well I tried and now I can't get calibre to open at all. I can't even find the program to uninstall.

If I can get calibre working I'll just delete Marvin. I've had enough and am at the end of my rope now

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-29-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 AM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just transfer the books wirelessly with the OPDS server.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I just transfer the books wirelessly with the OPDS server.
I've never been able to get that to work. But I can point dropbox within the Marvin app to a specific folder, I didn't know that was possible as it wasn't when I first got Marvin so that's great news.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
I've never been able to get that to work. But I can point dropbox within the Marvin app to a specific folder, I didn't know that was possible as it wasn't when I first got Marvin so that's great news.
Loading books into Marvin from Dropbox is so simple and easy that using the Calibre plugin is, for me, the less convenient.

I'm still using XP and will until my computer or I die and the 1.48 version of Calibre does everything (and more) that will ever need or want.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
I ended up using dropbox as well, I second that as the best way to interact between calibre library and marvin.
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote