Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Where is the data that makes a Kobo Wifi unique

Background: I'm trying to help someone in the user forum reprogram the MicroSD card on a Kobo Wifi. I have an image that I took from a friend's MicroSD.

Question: My concern is if my image is applied to someone else's Kobo, would that create a clone (i.e. serial number, decryption keys, etc)?
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I really doubt that there is ANY identifiable data on the SD card; normally items like serial #s / MAC addresses etc are burnt into chips on the device, and not loaded from SD cards.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
alcapwn
alcapwn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
While poking around in the disk image I was provided, I stumbled upon a serial number embedded just beyond the MBR of the internal disk.

sudo dd if=kobo.img of=serialnumber.bin bs=512 count=1 skip=1

Not that it would be set in stone, if you were really worried i'm sure it wouldn't hurt to alter it using DD as well.
alcapwn is offline   Reply With Quote