Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Best Battery Doctrine for the Fire

If one has gone past the exploration phase with the Kindle Fire, then, since Fire battery life is only 6.5 hours and only 5.5 hours before a recharge is required, always keep Fire in Shut Down Mode when not in use unless a firmware or app upgrade is expected. Leave WiFi on in Wake Mode and sync before and after use.

When one first purchases the Fire, leave it in Sleep Mode during the day and in Shut Down Mode during the night as long as one is experimenting with all its features and trying out many apps.

This is in contrast to the 3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard which has a battery life in Sleep Mode of 3 weeks. The Fire can only last a maximum of 2 to 3 days in Sleep Mode all the time.

This is in contrast to an Android cell phone where it has to be in Wake or Sleep Mode all the time to receive phone calls. Then it would have to be charged every night. Never shut down the cell phone if one uses it all the time for phone calls.

On the other hand, I have my cell phone shut down almost all the time since I only use it when I leave my house which is very rare. My copper wire phone services my house.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-23-2011 at 10:07 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
On the other hand, I have my cell phone shut down almost all the time since I only use it when I leave my house which is very rare. My copper wire phone services my house.
Not me. I wear my phone like jewelry. I charge my phone every other day. I have never had my battery died but Android 2.2 never had issues like the newer Android does. It's solid.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
...like the newer Android does. It's solid.
I haven't heard of those issues, and in my personal experience, going from 2.2 to 2.3 in my devices hasn't affected my battery in any negative way.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I haven't heard of those issues, and in my personal experience, going from 2.2 to 2.3 in my devices hasn't affected my battery in any negative way.
Some Android 2.3 devices like the Coby tablets or Vox has issues. The Coby I sent back battery's gauge like to jump like a yo-Yo. I am serious it couldn't make up it's mind. It's a known issue just read up on Androidtablets forum. The Vox is known to loose touch with battery reporting monitor and so the battery doesn't report the correct percentage. A reboot usually fixes it till acts up again. Other issues include WiFi Sleep Freeze bug that was introduced in 2.3 and was still around on some Honeycomb tablets.

However the Fire doesn't seem to suffering from any of these known Android 2.3 issues. Amazon has been very careful in keeping these from happening. I don't have any battery issues with my Fire. It stays in sleep mode and never uses any juice unless I am using it. The one time it died on me it was caused by a rogue app which has now been removed.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Some Android 2.3 devices like the Coby tablets or Vox has issues. The Coby I sent back battery's gauge like to jump like a yo-Yo. I am serious it couldn't make up it's mind. It's a known issue just read up on Androidtablets forum. The Vox is known to loose touch with battery reporting monitor and so the battery doesn't report the correct percentage. A reboot usually fixes it till acts up again. Other issues include WiFi Sleep Freeze bug that was introduced in 2.3 and was still around on some Honeycomb tablets.

However the Fire doesn't seem to suffering from any of these known Android 2.3 issues. Amazon has been very careful in keeping these from happening. I don't have any battery issues with my Fire. It stays in sleep mode and never uses any juice unless I am using it. The one time it died on me it was caused by a rogue app which has now been removed.
For what you describe, those would be issues at the driver level, not a generic Android 2.3 issue. Every manufacturer is responsible for their own baseport, so Coby and Kobo would be the ones to iron out those issues.
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

All I know is that I read it was introduced in Android 2.3 that Android 2.2 doesn't suffer from this issue. If so let's hope Kobo can fix it cause Coby denies it's theirs ands says it's a google issue.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
What was the rogue app???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom

salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
What was the rogue app???
I'll have to get back on you on that one. I'm not currently near my desktop till the weekend is over.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

My Motorola Atrix 4G came with 2.2 and later Moto upgraded it to 2.3. Under 2.2 I had no battery issues, but under 2.3 it has been a nightmare! It will show 90% charged one minute then the next minute it warns me that I'm below 20%. If I reboot it it might go back up to 90% again, or something else. It is definitely flaky under 2.3 and I must constantly charge it every night just to make sure it stays charged, and even then it occasionally flips out and suddenly drops to less than 20%. Is it Moto or is it Android? My guess is it is Android because those idiots have shown time and again that they don't know how to produce a stable and decent OS!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
...those idiots have shown time and again that they don't know how to produce a stable and decent OS!
Yeah, you should join them and show them how to do it!

Embedded software is very complex, you can't expect a bug free OS - that thing simply doesn't exist. I agree that some bugs should be found before shipment, but to blanket all developers under the "idiot" label is too harsh.

Last edited by afv011; 12-24-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Hmmm...let's see. IMO Android is about at the level of Windows 3.x. How long has it been around? Shouldn't it be at least to the level of Windows NT by now?