Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
can Overdrive/library track books you've read?

I don't know where this question goes so I'll just put it here. My library uses Overdrive for ebooks. It's got your standard My eCart / Lending Periods / My eItems etc. Is it possible to keep a list of the books you've read? Expired books, in other words? I am just wondering if Overdrive has this capability and then I can ask my library to "turn on" that part of the software.

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
There's a review (star) feature, which might serve that purpose for you?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
My library keeps a list of books I've borrowed, I don't see why that shouldn't work the same way for ebooks.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Your reading list is uploaded nightly to the Dept. of Homeland Security.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

edBro: I guess I won't be checking out the Anarchist's Cookbook then.

Rogue_librarian: my library keeps a list of "regular" books I've checked out but the ebooks are not on it. (and you have to turn that feature on yourself, for paranoid types like edBro. I think it would have to be part of the Overdrive software.

SeaBookGuy: I guess since it doesn't make a list automatically, I would have to use the ratings feature for this purpose. I thought about that too.

and I just did a Google search on this topic, and the second result is THIS post! Talk about some fast indexing. Google thinks Mobileread is HOT STUFF.

eP
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At present, I keep a list of "books read" as an excel spreadsheet -- differentiating audiobooks in italics; though they are almost entirely unabridged, I consider audiobooks are different "experience" than reading print (including e-books). I also have a parallel list at Goodreads, with a shelf called "library books" and one called "ebooks"; I don't know if you can access books that are common to both?

My library has brand new catalog software, including a feature to "rate" your books read, and possibility of receiving messages from patrons, not only from patrons of one's own library, but all over that (North American) system!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I know my state elibrary keeps track, because you're not allowed to reborrow a title. Sigh. But I don't think the info is accessible.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I know my state elibrary keeps track, because you're not allowed to reborrow a title. Sigh. But I don't think the info is accessible.
You mean back-to-back, not forever, right?

I was once at the end of my allowed renewal for a print book, that had no holds on it. I asked as I was dropping it off, "Can you check it back it in, and let me have it again, as there's no one waiting?" I was told, "No, it must go back on the shelf."
Old 12-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #9
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Sony/ADE don't delete expired books - I have to delete mine manually. So I could move the expired books to a "read" folder on my computer to keep track (delete off my device though).

I can also check it out again as soon as it's been returned - and I've re-borrowed books within a day of expiry before. With print books, I've just waited until they went on the shelving cart and grabbed them off there...
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard

issybird, does your library use Overdrive? Are you sure you can't check the book out again (or put a hold on it, if there was a wait)?

confession: I have a children's book (pbook) that I have renewed 15 times so far... because I can't find it. I keep thinking it will turn up one day.

Sheri
Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use Goodreads to track what I have read. It's quite a good service and it's free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
You mean back-to-back, not forever, right?

I was once at the end of my allowed renewal for a print book, that had no holds on it. I asked as I was dropping it off, "Can you check it back it in, and let me have it again, as there's no one waiting?" I was told, "No, it must go back on the shelf."
As a result of your question, I went back and checked the state library site for their exact language, and they've changed their policy. Good to know. No renewals, but you can get back on the waiting list. Thanks!

As for the other.... we're all run into them. Unfortunately. I hope you followed him/her around until the book made it back onto the shelf and then snatched it up with a mad cackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
issybird, does your library use Overdrive? Are you sure you can't check the book out again (or put a hold on it, if there was a wait)?

confession: I have a children's book (pbook) that I have renewed 15 times so far... because I can't find it. I keep thinking it will turn up one day.

Sheri
Yes, it's Overdrive and thanks to SeaBookGuy, I now know I can get a book back. It'll take a little pressure off. Does anyone else find that all of their library books seem to become available in the same weekend? Leaving him/her frantically trying to get through them all before the loan expires? To the detriment of things I'd rather be reading, to boot!

Sheri, those kids' books are the devil. They hide in plain sight.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Oh fer sure ... I've had multiple non-renewable items appear, while I was still finishing existing stuff!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #14
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
This is something that is easily solved with Calibre. You can tag each book with where you got it and keep track if you've read it or not.

After awhile, I have trouble remembering if I've checked out a specific book before, and before I installed Calibre, found my self checking out some things I'd already read. Now everything goes into Calibre and I can keep organized.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
As a result of your question, I went back and checked the state library site for their exact language, and they've changed their policy. Good to know. No renewals, but you can get back on the waiting list. Thanks!

As for the other.... we're all run into them. Unfortunately. I hope you followed him/her around until the book made it back onto the shelf and then snatched it up with a mad cackle.
The policy is there for a good reason: to keep someone from monopolizing the book. It's important that it be on the shelf for a certain amount of time so that browsers can come across it. Not everyone uses the catalogue. My library used have an issue with a gentleman who would check out all the books on resumes and employment and, when the renewals were expired, do as you suggest. We had to institute a waiting period to allow other people to get a crack at the book. Libraries are as much for the browsers and the people who read in the library as for those who check out the books.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote