Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Kindle books getting more Spendy?

Consumerist says Kindle book prices are creeping up.

I have not really noticed this but it could be. What annoys me is the irrational nature of what is and is not offered. For example, one series of three books has the first and third in the series offered on the Kindle, but not the second book in the series. Same publisher. Makes no bloody sense.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think that amazon is getting a lot of flack for this when they don't have much to do with it. A lot of it has to do with the publishers, obviously. This is a growing market so I do expect some bumps in the road.

Anyway, Consumerist is one of my favorite blogs.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
I think that amazon is getting a lot of flack for this when they don't have much to do with it. A lot of it has to do with the publishers, obviously.
Yup, quite true. In fact the series availability issue reveals that. It was the publisher that screwed up (Penguin).

In fact, Kindle prices are still generally lower than Sony (I have both).
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Does it say this is limited to ebooks? Paper books seems to increase in price all the time too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Usually when I see that the price drops within a week or so. As for the series, my guess is that the publishers go by their sales numbers of individual titles when they decide which books to release and don't pay any attention to the series as a unit.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Since I read mostly mass market romance (or just other mass market) on my Reader, I haven't had much of a problem with this. I usually get 5-10% off the paperback price.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Here's an interesting quote from the article:

Quote:
One Kindle owner on the above-mentioned discussion used jungle-search.com to sort titles by price, and posted that as of January 22nd, 2009, 29.65% of the books sold on the Kindle Store are priced above $9.99. Another forum poster broke it down by category:
Fiction 2%
Mystery/Thrillers 3%
Romance 1%
Literary Fiction 2%
Nonfiction 50%
Biography 15%
Computer/Internet 80%
I'm not surprised non-fiction and tech are more expensive. They are often in pbooks, too. The tech books I've seen on Kindle are still less than their paper counterparts. I just don't like reading them on a small screen. Tables are illegible and there's not color or monospaced fonts. Still, they're cheaper.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
As was said earlier, I think this is mostly a publisher issue. I have a feeling this will change because of changes to the economy.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Kindleist
Kindleist began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Agreed it's usually the publisher that chooses the price of a book. Does anyone know what Amazon's cut is?
Kindleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleist View Post
Agreed it's usually the publisher that chooses the price of a book. Does anyone know what Amazon's cut is?
I think it is 65/35, but they take a loss on the 9.99 bestsellers I believe.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
LwoodY2K
LwoodY2K began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
That's only for the self-publishing program (dtp.amazon.com). They haven't stated what it is with other publishers, I think.

Also note that on release the 9.99 pricepoint was emphasized specifically for NYT bestsellers. Complaining that a $50 java book isn't selling for $9.99 on kindle seems a bit unreasonable to me, though - expensive programming/reference books probably make up a lot of those in the tech and nonfiction categories, and many of those are hugely expensive. Now reducing prices on all the books available in paperback for less though would be nice and that's where I think there's a good argument.
LwoodY2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
The split is Amazon 45%/ publisher 55% on ebooks but is subject to some modification.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I think that amazon is getting a lot of flack for this when they don't have much to do with it. A lot of it has to do with the publishers, obviously.
Yea I agree with this completely.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote