Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Although I've heard "Don't use task killers" many times, in my experience it depends entirely on your device. My old phone benefited greatly from killing apps and keeping memory uncluttered. My current phone seems to take care of things on its own just fine.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Although I've heard "Don't use task killers" many times, in my experience it depends entirely on your device. My old phone benefited greatly from killing apps and keeping memory uncluttered. My current phone seems to take care of things on its own just fine.
My phone does good on its own too but the Fire seems to benefit from keeping the memory clean when it comes to battery life at least on certain apps.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
frankz
frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Well it is still irrelevant to this thread and not needed as it proves nothing. Everything said here is opinions no one here is an expert. People can be wrong from time to time it makes you human. Just look at half of the blogs out there.

If it's so hip to be wrong, why'd you delete the comment?

I never said I was an expert. That's why I provided documentation for my assertion rather than just posting my guesses and assumptions.
frankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz View Post
If it's so hip to be wrong, why'd you delete the comment?
To admit I was wrong see. I had totally forgotten that thread as active as I am on MR I always go back and edit my posts so others who don't read a thread through but comment quickly wont make unnecessary posts. Keeps necromancy down.

You might find me editing a thread that is months old if necessary.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
One way to see running applications is to go to Settings \ Applications \ Running Applications.

From there you can shut down individual applications. I notice the Weather Channel was running there. When I Shut Down the Fire, the Weather Channel was not there when I re-awakened it. Thus, it is probably safe to shut it down manually from the Running Applications Screen.

Other Applications which I always have running there are:

1. Settings
2. Badass Battery Monitor
3. Amazon Device Client Platform
4. Amazon Video
5. Kindle Keyboard.

They are running even after a Fire Shut Down and a Waken. Other than Badass Battery Monitor, it would be very UNSAFE to manually shut down those other Fire Apps.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-22-2011 at 02:02 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
They are running even after a Fire Shut Down and a Waken. Other than Badass Battery Monitor, it would be very UNSAFE to manually shut down those other Fire Apps.
Out of curiosity, unsafe how?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
frankz
frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Would information from the Google developers of Android saying that use of Task Killers and manually ending applications are, at best, useless and, at worst, harmful be an offering of sufficient expertise?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...evelopers.html

Takeaway quote:
Quote:
The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.

Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.

As such, using the task manager feature of SystemPanel to constantly clear memory by killing all apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED.
frankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz View Post
Would information from the Google developers of Android saying that use of Task Killers and manually ending applications are, at best, useless and, at worst, harmful be an offering of sufficient expertise?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...evelopers.html

Takeaway quote:
Now, now, let's not ruin this thread with some common sense and proven facts.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote