Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Aluratek Libre Touch eBook Reader with WiFi AEBK08FB

I just ordered and have received an Aluratek Libre Touch eBook Reader with WiFi AEBK08FB http://aluratek.com/libre-touch-eboo...ouchscreen-lcd

Got it yesterday. It does have Android 1.5 - got lucky on that! Initially, I like it. The touch screen is a little tricky.

The menus are okay, it took a while to adjust; they're a little tricky. It's best not to just tap, but hold your finger on the screen, let it buzz, and then slide, for scrolling.

I'd like to customize the rss feed, instead of the default news at yahoo, but can't figure it out so far. Also, the main menus of My Books and My History are too cumbersome. I have probably over 4,000 books on a 16 gig card, sorted in folders, e.g., English Literature, etc., so I'm using the Explorer icon for finding and launching books. I'm sure I'll keep doing that. I'd like to just remove the default home screen to the Explorer, but doubt I'll be able to.

The battery seems fine. I'm happy with it so far. I gave it a full charge yesterday after receiving it and it's still on half a battery, with 4 to 5 hours of use. I haven't timed it, but I've used it a lot. Loading and configure has used a lot of juice too.

I'm happy with it so far. The screen is tricky, though...

Anyone else have one? Is this forum the right place to discuss it?

I've posted in the Ecacto forum but it doesn't seem the right one to me.
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Oops... Aluratek Libre Touch eBook Reader with WiFi AEBK08FB
http://aluratek.com/libre-touch-eboo...ouchscreen-lcd
Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Am I the only person on mobileread who has bought one of these?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
corebe
corebe began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Touch
Aluratek Libre Touch

Just ordered one...I'll let you know...sounds good? Got what looks like a good deal at Newegg ... $129.99 plus free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

Last edited by corebe; 05-16-2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added deal
corebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by corebe View Post
Just ordered one...I'll let you know...sounds good? Got what looks like a good deal at Newegg ... $129.99 plus free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

What? a price drop already! I paid $149... on May 8th.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
corebe
corebe began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Touch
Yes, but I had a problem with it ...

Unfortunately the usb connector was flakey. It was very hard to get it so my PC would recognize it....really annoying. Also, all of the cool Android stuff didn't work on this early version of Android, too bad. Wonder why something this new has such an old version? Anyway, back to Newegg and wait to something better at a reasonable price. Good luck.
corebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
binky
Book Monkey
binky doesn't litterbinky doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
$140 at Dell.ca right now, plus free shipping as always with Dell.
binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
dhighway
dhighway began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Libre Color, HipStreet M700
Just got mine (one-day sale from Dell @$130).

@fglaysher - totally agree about the touch screen ... makes it awkward to browse websites.

Other initial thoughts/observations:
1. WiFi - no config option to connect to your access point if SSID broadcasting has been turned off. Other than turning ON SSID Broadcast, anyone know how to work around this?
2. Though it's lighter than my Aluratek Color Libre, I doubt the claim that it weighs 7 oz.
3. Isn't recognized by Calibre (but is expected to be, in Calibre's next release).
4. Page up/down buttons are rather stiff.
5. With a microSD (instead of SD), it's not as useful for looking at pics off my camera while traveling. (With my Color Libre, I can just pop the camera's SD card into it for viewing.)
6. At max brightness, it is visible in bright light (unlike the Color Libre), but I think claims of being able to read in sunlight is exaggerated.

@fglaysher - What are your thoughts?

I'll check back later myself as I use it more.

Cheers,
DH
dhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhighway View Post

@fglaysher - totally agree about the touch screen ... makes it awkward to browse websites.

1. WiFi - no config option to connect to your access point if SSID broadcasting has been turned off. Other than turning ON SSID Broadcast, anyone know how to work around this?
2. Though it's lighter than my Aluratek Color Libre, I doubt the claim that it weighs 7 oz.
3. Isn't recognized by Calibre (but is expected to be, in Calibre's next release).
5. With a microSD (instead of SD), it's not as useful for looking at pics off my camera while traveling. (With my Color Libre, I can just pop the camera's SD card into it for viewing.)
6. At max brightness, it is visible in bright light (unlike the Color Libre), but I think claims of being able to read in sunlight is exaggerated.

Cheers,
DH
SSID. I think that's a limitation of Android, actually. I don't know of a solution, if there's one.

I bought a 16 gig SD card with an adaptor, so I can just plug it in and out, switch with my Sony Reader which takes the large size for my 12 gigs of books and articles.

I haven't taken it outside to read; but will report back sometime.

Personally, I like the buttons, compared to my Sony Reader; the page turns are almost instantaneous.

Actually, as I've used it more, and configured RSS feeds for newspapers and magazines, and setup other features, I'm starting to like it a lot. It takes time, as with any new device. I've been installing Android applications with more success now, thanks to the advice to use 1.5 compatible ones.

I have a laptop, a netbook, a Nexus S phone, and a Sony Reader, so I'm looking for a new device that doesn't duplicate any of the previous ones. As a color reader that handles PDFs very well, with a large capacity SD card for books, it's proving to offer what I want--a reading platform larger than my Nexus S, one that incorporates the several generations of improvements since my 2007 Sony Reader, with Internet wireless for RSS feeds.

I've gotten the hang more of the screen as I've used it too--longish press, firmly, light fling for scrolling.

I'm working on replacing the file manager to an Android download that will work better and a better reader than the firmware.

The on/off button is a pain, as is Sony's. I wonder if all ereaders have such switches for some technical reason. I've realized I have to always turn it off at night or else it sort of runs down the battery and won't turn on in the morning without plugging it into to my laptop with the USB cord, kind of resetting it or something.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by corebe View Post
Unfortunately the usb connector was flakey. It was very hard to get it so my PC would recognize it....really annoying. Also, all of the cool Android stuff didn't work on this early version of Android, too bad. Wonder why something this new has such an old version? Anyway, back to Newegg and wait to something better at a reasonable price. Good luck.
I've never had any trouble with the USB connector. I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7.

I'm hoping the Android 1.5 will be updated at some point by Aluratek, or a somebody will come up with a hack for it. It doesn't matter to me, really, since I want it for a *reader* for books, not a game machine, or other uses...
Old 05-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
readmorebooks
readmorebooks began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Touch
I received my Libre Touch a few days ago. I also had a Libre Color which started buzzing and was returned. I like the touch screen abilities! I am however finding it a challenge to figure out all the android features. fglaysher, I would appreciate if you would post how to change the RSS feeds or even remove it from the home page (if that's possible).

Compared to the Libre color it actually feels heavier to me. I wish it had included a case (color has one) and that it used regular SD cards rather than microSD. More complete instructions would also be handy. It took me hours to configure my email but eventually I was succesful. This is my first Android device and this likely explains my challenges with this. I wish I could change the font type. The other thing I miss, compared to the Libre Color, is that I can't change the background to black and have the font color white. This was very nice for night reading. Maybe I'm missing something here and if others are able to do this I would love to hear how. I like the Touch because it is silent. I went for the Libre over other ereaders because a backlit screen was an important feature to me. I don't like the refresh flash of eink.

I am new to the forum and look forward to sharing information. Thanks in advance for any help you post.
readmorebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by readmorebooks View Post
... how to change the RSS feeds or even remove it from the home page (if that's possible).

...I wish it had included a case (color has one) ... More complete instructions would also be handy. It took me hours to configure my email but eventually I was succesful. ... I wish I could change the font type. The other thing I miss, compared to the Libre Color, is that I can't change the background to black and have the font color white. ....
I would like to change the RSS feed on the main page too. I haven't figured that out, though. I'm using Google Reader, through the browser, which works fine. If anyone else figures out the RSS feed, let us know...

I'd like a case too, black leather, if any vendor is out there reading this! I haven't tried the email program, just through the browser. I know what you mean in terms of the guide. It mentions you can install manually Andorid programs, but no instructions. Google something like "install Android apps apk" should help. "Apk" is the Android Zip file format. Download it to your computer and then copy it onto your SD card on the Libre. Then, follow the instructions at this in mobileread forum, pageS 5 & 6: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=118133&page=6

As far as I know there's no way to change the background color but you can change the font size when your in a document. Just open the Menu at the top right.

Hope this helps...
Old 05-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhighway View Post

Cheers,
DH
In terms of weight, the company website says,

Connectivity Wireless 802.11 b/g / USB 2.0 / SD Card Slot
Resolution 7" TouchScreen TFT Full Color LCD
SKU AEBK08FB
UPC 8-12658-01101-3
Warranty 1 Year
Product Weight .82 lbs.(13.1 oz)
Product Dimensions 4.875 x 8 x .5 in. (12.4 x 20.3 x 1.3 cm)

http://aluratek.com/libre-touch-eboo...ouchscreen-lcd
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
What about mobi, prc, etc.?

I just received my AEBK08FB, and it was advertised as: "eBook support: EPUB, PDF, TXT*, FB2*, MOBI*, PRC*, RTF*. Even the "Quick Start Guide" enclosed states these ebooks.

Manually transferred some un-DRM'd MOBIs - nothing. It does not even show up in the "My Library". Explorer shows the titles, but asks to "Complete action using" - when I press "EbookReader, nothing!

Has anybody managed to get mobi or prc to work on this thing? Not very happy, I bought it for its versatility (I thought)! If I wanted to be locked into one type of book, I already have a Kindle ...

I know it's Android-based, do I have to download an Andoid app to view these books?

Thanks in advance.
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
readmorebooks
readmorebooks began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Touch
I have succesfully downloaded epub through Windows 7 but I have yet to try mobi or prc. Good luck with this. Thanks fglaysher for your earlier comments.

After a few days with the Libre Touch I'm quite happy with it. Dell.ca had a 48 hour sale last week and I was able to pick it up for $129. The ability to check my email and surf the web on a 7" screen is great.
readmorebooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluratek libre touch, wifi aebk08fb