Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Reading Manga in Pocketbook

These last days I had been toying with the idea of reading manga in my Pocketbook 360. After some slightly unsatisfying experiences using ePub, Ulli put me on what seems the right path for reading manga in the device: the PDF format.

I've installed a PDF printer (that is, a program which allows you to "print" a certain file or group or files with a PDF file as the output) and I've tried it with a series called Mirai Nikki (Future Diary, if it's released in English). It has >50 chapters already released, and I've read them all in two days (Mirai Nikki is sort of addicting ) so I think I can confidently give some feedback about how it goes. I'm using 14.2, BTW, as I finally grew weary of crashes.

Plus points of reading manga in Pocketbook:
+ The screen is really crisp, and reading doesn't take any effort.
+ The available zooming and width-adjusting options help a tad in adjusting the image so that it fills the screen completely.
+ Organising is easy since you can use as many folders as you need.

Minus points:
- The PDF file for one chapter takes up an average of 12-13 MB, and it shows in the responsiveness of the device.
- Due to the filesize, you can't store complete series unless they're small ones.
- For some reason, AdobeViewer consistently shows images with less quality than PDFViewer, which forces me to use the latter.

Have you tried reading manga yourselves?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Zel
Zealot
Zel began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360° + Kindle 3
I tried it (after you told me, before I bought my PB, that the Display is too small for Mangas ^^) and I agree with you in all the pros/cons you mentioned above.

Some Mangas I read (in pdf files) with the pdf-viewer (one chapter = one file). Especially, when one pdf-page shows only one Manga page (and not two..) I can read very comfortable in widescreen mode. Somethimes I also read in upright position when the font is bigger (without zoom).
Nevertheless I have problems reading mangas in pdf-format, when one pdf page shows two Manga-pages: because of the japanese reading direction (right to left) it's very difficult to work with the splitting/column-mode

I just started to read one Manga just with single jpg-files: With the picture viewer I got more shades of grey and I can zoom, too (but not as good as with the pdf-viewer). And it is less work for me because I don't have to create a pdf file ;-)
But this just works under one condition: the jpg-names have to be in the correct form (0001, 0002, etc.).

I save all my (bigger) pdf-files on my micro-sd Card (4gb) and alle my epubs in the device storage.
Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Have you ever tried to decrease your pdf files?

I guess there will be some MBs less, gimme a hit in skype Logseman, that we can try that out.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Which pdf-printer are you using, Logseman?

In my job I use dopdf7, and it can reduce the pp percentage. Maybe this will help to minorate the files.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelee View Post
Which pdf-printer are you using, Logseman?

In my job I use dopdf7, and it can reduce the pp percentage. Maybe this will help to minorate the files.
CutePDF Printer. Rfog recommended it to me.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I've found cutepdf to be fairly effective over the years. Can't think of a time it didn't work well when I needed a pdf (and acrobat standard/pro wasn't on the computer I was using).
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote