Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
It's completely possible. Every wireless device has a unique identifying number/hash/whatever. In a GSM device, this comes from the SIM. With CDMA, it comes from some on-board chip instead.
Sorry, I didn't say that well. Yes, it's definitely possible that Verizon could shut off access. What I meant though, was whether or not it was possible to get a 3rd party app to make use of the 3G connectivity on the DR800. If we can't do that, then the whole discussion about how Verizon would react is moot.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Perhaps it would be better to look at the paperwork within the box to see if the agreement between the buyer and IREX says anything that would give them grounds to terminate your connection. Even if Verizon cuts you off, IREX may have to send you a new device to get you back online since they didn't specify this issue in their agreement with the consumer.
We might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves though. This is an important thing to consider, but pointless if there is no way to access the 3G connectivity outside of iRex's mall app.
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Oh they say plenty on the subject, it turns out.

They can discontinue the wireless, charge you fees for "personal use of other wireless services", and of course change the terms, including limits on the size/number of files that can be transferred, and terms of the fees.

They also mention agreeing to use the connectivity only in connection with the services and software IREX provides with and for the device. The idea there is to block out uses like turning the 800 into a wireless tether, or using 3rd party apps that try to tap into the wireless.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #19
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
They also mention agreeing to use the connectivity only in connection with the services and software IREX provides with and for the device. The idea there is to block out uses like turning the 800 into a wireless tether, or using 3rd party apps that try to tap into the wireless.
I'm not surprised. Somebody is paying for that bandwidth, so they're going to want to limit it to the intended uses (which probably cover their own costs).
Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 AM   #20
vfrinken
vfrinken began at the beginning.

Device: DR800S
I have downloaded the emulator for the software version 3.0 and got it running. However, I only have one computer running Ubuntu 9.10 and I didn't get the Anjuta Poky Plugin to load, so I eperimented with the xournal V5 code using only the command line.
I also don't have the DR800 (yet), but I was still curious how hard it is to add pdf-zooming/annotating to the device and I've got some preliminary results:
After porting the libart_lgpl and libgnomecanvas library, the xournal code compiled (I also had to link more IRex libraries, just like Mackx had forseen)

Long story short: it works. Partly. In the emulator.

The xournal loads, but scribbling work only in the standard mode. The experimental mode results in ioctl error messages when trying to write.
Additionally, loading a pdf results in a dialog box: "Unable to start PDF loader pdftoppm"

I have not made any changes to the code, as I'm waiting for Mackx to post the source code of the xournal V8 version.

As for pure pdf viewing (and zooming), I also ported epdfview.
The binaries plus some rudimentary install instructions are in the attached tarball. I don't know how to create fancy install routines, or entries on the menu screen. I'm happy if anyone can point me to good instructions on this. Maybe someone owning the device can tell me, if its working similarly on the real thing. But I'm very optimistic that the DR800 can be used in the way I want it: reading some books, but mostly technical documents. Some of which need annotations.
Attached Files
File Type: gz dr800-epdf-and-xournal-v5-experimental.tar.gz (1.66 MB, 215 views)
vfrinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #21
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi vfrinken,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrinken View Post
I have downloaded the emulator for the software version 3.0 and got it running. However, I only have one computer running Ubuntu 9.10 and I didn't get the Anjuta Poky Plugin to load, so I eperimented with the xournal V5 code using only the command line.
I am using the VMware image of Adam on a Windows Vista PC.
Quote:
After porting the libart_lgpl and libgnomecanvas library, the xournal code compiled (I also had to link more IRex libraries, just like Mackx had forseen)
You could also have installed the ipk files for the libs on the emulator i.s.o. porting them yourself. Did you find this post?
Quote:
The xournal loads, but scribbling work only in the standard mode. The experimental mode results in ioctl error messages when trying to write.
This is normal on the emulator (forgot to tell this) the low-level display driver is not available on the emulator, leading to these messages. So that is 'good'.
Quote:
Additionally, loading a pdf results in a dialog box: "Unable to start PDF loader pdftoppm"
I have not made any changes to the code, as I'm waiting for Mackx to post the source code of the xournal V8 version.
Version 6 was the first version that uses the poppler library for pdf support, before that the original mechanism (using pdftoppm) was still in there, which did not work for the DR.

I seemed to have forgotten to attach the sources to my Xournal post , sorry for that will fix that this evening (CET) when I am home again.

Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #22
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm playing with Xournal in the emulator myself (and now the device)... and it actually runs pretty well. A couple display bugs for V5 (can't see what page you are actually on because the control gets squished in the bottom bar, and the fast draw lines never seem to redraw correctly unless I change the page).

As for just taking some hand-written notes? Very promising already.

Last edited by Kolenka; 02-26-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #23
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah, I'm playing with Xournal in the emulator myself (and now the device)... and it actually runs pretty well. A couple display bugs for V5 (can't see what page you are actually on because the control gets squished in the bottom bar, and the fast draw lines never seem to redraw correctly unless I change the page).

As for just taking some hand-written notes? Very promising already.
W.r.t. the redraw, this is indeed the behaviour on the DR1000 also. The scribbles are written, via a scribble-library, directly to the screen, you will see them quickly, but they will be lighter then expected. At the same time the scribbles are also drawn using gtk, however, the full-screen is not update until an 'appropriate' moment. A full redraw of the screen taken about 800ms on the DR1000 (will be a little less on the smaller screen of the DR800), so doing a full redraw after every stroke, would not result into a usable functionality.

I copied my DR1000 VMWare image and loaded the DR800 poky/kernel files, works very well. I copied the xournal installation ipk-files and the poppler libs to the emulator and started xournal manually. It al worked the first time. I do not see the problems you see with the Controls on the emulator is that only a problem on the real device?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Yeah, from what I can tell... Xournal is trying to update the screen, but the lines don't darken where they overlap. Only the pixels where the fast drawn lines and Xournal's don't overlap. It's kinda weird behavior and I didn't notice exactly what was going on at first.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #25
Mackx
Guru

Aha I think I recognise this. The lines as they are drawn with the scribble-library are a little different from those drawn with gtk (mainly the thickness). This leaves some strange effects when gtk overwrites the scribbles. Going to another page and back will give the 'final' result (at least on the DR1000).