Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
codinh
codinh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for a basic cheap reader!

Hello to everyone!

I recently started getting interested in e-books, so I'm currently looking for a decent reader, and possibly for a decent price
The only one I know is the Kindle from Amazon, but it is way too expensive for me, a penniless student with very few money. Plus, it has a lot of accessories that make it so expensive and that I'd do easily without, IE touchscreen, internet connection, keyboard and stuff like that.
So... My question is: can someone suggest me a good e-book reader with a large screen (the size of a normal book), that doesn't strain your eyes, without kinky and useless applications, and with a good navigation system, for a reasonable price?

codinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
haino
Connoisseur
haino began at the beginning.

Hi codinh
Welcome to MR
Where are you based as this may determine what is available and at what price.
I am in the UK and there doesnt seem to be anywhere nearly as much choice here as in the US
haino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
he Sony PRS-300 and the Pocketbook 360. I have a 300, love it, and you can go to a Best Buy, Target, Wal-mart and other retailers and see it, hold it...etc.

Another I would look at is the 360. Don't have one, never seen one... but worth a look.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

I would also be sure and keep an eye on the flea market here at Mobileread..... a few weeks there were two eBookwise readers being sold for $50 each.... Not the best reader in the world, and limited in formats, but at that price .... plus there are always some gently used models of just about all the reader manufactures there....
Old 01-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
codinh
codinh began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haino View Post
Hi codinh
Welcome to MR
Where are you based as this may determine what is available and at what price.
I am in the UK and there doesnt seem to be anywhere nearly as much choice here as in the US
I live in Italy, will sites deliver here easily?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
he Sony PRS-300 and the Pocketbook 360. I have a 300, love it, and you can go to a Best Buy, Target, Wal-mart and other retailers and see it, hold it...etc.

Another I would look at is the 360. Don't have one, never seen one... but worth a look.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I'm looking right now for the PRS-300 on the official site, and I have to say it's quite interesting...
I have a question: Can you import every kind of e-book into your PRS-300, or you have to buy them in the Sony store? I found a lot of e-book browsing the net, but if it turns out I can't read them, it'll suck very badly
codinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
codinh, You state that you are looking for a device with a big screen. I assume that you mean a 6" screen. The Kindle has a 6" screen. If the Kindle is too expensive for you, then you've got a problem. All of the 6" devices cost over $200.

All of the less expensive devices have 5" screens. I bought an Ectaco jetBook Lite on sale for $117. I was concerned that the 5" screen would be too small, but it turned out that for me that is not the case.

So you might want to investigate the jetBook Lite, the JetBook and the Aluratek Libre.

In Italy, you may also want to investigate the Bebook Mini.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Remember at roughly $200, there really are only about four choices: 1) Sony PRS-300, 2) Astak Pocket Pro, 3) Ectaco Jetbook Lite, and 4) Alurtek's reader. The last two are based on monochrome LCDs while the first two are based on e-ink reflective displays. Although the eBookman can be considered a choice, it is limited to one propreitary format and is outclassed by the above readers on more than one area.

As far as wanting a ebook reader with a screen about the size of a paperback, you'd be paying about $400+ (USD). The typical paperback novel is 8" in diameter. Most ebook readers have screens that are 5" or 6". Some come in 9.7", but is usually much more expensive. Initially, 5" and 6" screen sizes might seem a bit small but over time you'll grow accustomed.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinh View Post
I live in Italy, will sites deliver here easily?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I'm looking right now for the PRS-300 on the official site, and I have to say it's quite interesting...
I have a question: Can you import every kind of e-book into your PRS-300, or you have to buy them in the Sony store? I found a lot of e-book browsing the net, but if it turns out I can't read them, it'll suck very badly
I have never bought a book from the Sony store. As a matter of fact I never even installed the Sony software. The 300 uses the near industry standard ePub format as well as PDF. Those two alone are most books on the net (except Amazon). It reads other formats as well, but those two are the biggies.....
Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinh View Post
Hello to everyone!

I recently started getting interested in e-books, so I'm currently looking for a decent reader, and possibly for a decent price
The only one I know is the Kindle from Amazon, but it is way too expensive for me, a penniless student with very few money. Plus, it has a lot of accessories that make it so expensive and that I'd do easily without, IE touchscreen, internet connection, keyboard and stuff like that.
So... My question is: can someone suggest me a good e-book reader with a large screen (the size of a normal book), that doesn't strain your eyes, without kinky and useless applications, and with a good navigation system, for a reasonable price?

jetBook or jetBook-Lite
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Astak Pocket Pro
You can The Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro from the US, or buy the BeBook Mini in Europe. These are both Hanlin V5s, which is sold under many names worldwide and is a good low-cost basic reader. Perhaps more expensive than the PRS-300 but also more capable. Note that the Mini comes without a cover and you need one for these devices (the EZ Reader includes a cover).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I'll second the eBookWise suggestion. Backlit, about 10 hours of memory to a charge. After more than a year, no noticeable loss of battery life, pretty good selection of reading materials from eBookWise.com. It's on sale for $89.95 (or so) new. Used may be cheaper.

Of course if you want dirt-cheap, you can pick up a used PDA from eBay. Maybe $10 or $15 bucks for an old Palm or HP Jornada.

Rob Preece
Publisher, BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Ben0
Retired Field Engineer
Ben0 is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro, Ectaco JBL
Ectaco Jetbook Lite $129 at Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16858723010
Ben0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
markman
Enthusiast
markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony PRS350
I'd suggest the Aluratek Libre. Hardware is the same as the Jetbook (but with an internal rechargeable battery), but the firmware is different allowing you to borrow books from your library if you want.

Both are great choices, and very affordable.
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #14
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Thumbs up

Check this thread (and others, too) in this Italian ebook forum:

http://www.elibri.biz/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33

I hope it will be useful
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote