Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
I have a few yes one ran over 7GB thats when I discovered the whole FAT32 thing when I tried to stuff it onto the card. Also, even though the limit is 4GB for FAT32 it seems anything over 2 GB and my device cant read it. Once I cut it into pieces it reads it no problem but anything larger is a no go.
That sounds like a problem with the device, not the filesystem; even if you got NTFS support what makes you think the device would be any better equipped to read 7GB files than 2GB files?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That sounds like a problem with the device, not the filesystem; even if you got NTFS support what makes you think the device would be any better equipped to read 7GB files than 2GB files?
because NTFS can handle bigger files than FAT32. Also, the purpose of the thread was to find a better DEVICE within the realms of what I wanted. That's like asking why would you upgrade your device?. A better question would be if your device can't handle what you want it to do why wouldn't you seek a different or better one?
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #33
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
2GB was often a limit in the olden days. More modern devices can handle terabytes.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #34
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
2GB was often a limit in the olden days. More modern devices can handle terabytes.
Well we mean in terms of putting a single file not everything combined onto the thing. If you were to try any single file that was over 4GB onto something thats FAT32 it wouldn't let you because it cant handle it. But there are things that do handle larger single files. Not that it matters I do ave books that go over this 4GB limit and they don't seem to make ereaders at least ones e-ink or similar with ideal storage options. Some only have 1GB on the device itself and no SD card support whatsoever. If I can find an ereader with the features I want and supports 64GB then I would gladly split the files up myself to avoid this 4GB limit.
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #35
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
Ok, well frontlit then. Well unfortunately I am not after a higher resolution if nothing supports wht i am after is there somewhere that modifies e-readers? I would reallly like to get this to support 64GB micro-SD at the very least.
What tablets support 64 gig micro sd cards? All the android ones I've seen only support 32gig micro sd.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 03:12 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
What tablets support 64 gig micro sd cards? All the android ones I've seen only support 32gig micro sd.
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the Windows tablets do, but I don't know of any Android tablets that support SD cards >32GB.

Another option is to simply buy a tablet with the requisite amount of storage in the first place. Eg, I have the 128GB iPad Mini.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #37
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the Windows tablets do, but I don't know of any Android tablets that support SD cards >32GB.

Another option is to simply buy a tablet with the requisite amount of storage in the first place. Eg, I have the 128GB iPad Mini.
I don't think I've ever seen an Android tablet that officially states support for 64GB cards. However, I've tried both SanDisk and Samsung 64GB microSDXC cards and in my experience, I haven't had any problems using them in most of my Android devices (e.g. Transformer TF700T, Toshibe Excite 7.7 AT275, Ainol Novo7 Venus, Nextway F9X, various Android phones). I use the exFAT file system for cards greater than 32GB.

P.S. The Samsung cards are better/faster.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #38
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not officially supported (spec sheet says 32GB) but I have 64GB in my Acer W3 windows 8.1 tablet and it works fine. Didn't play with formating or anything, just plug and played it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My Surface Pro works absolutely fine with the 128GB SD cards I use in my Digital SLR camera, but that's to be expected, given that the Surface Pro is a standard PC in tablet form.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote