Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post

Hence my conclusion: better to wait
That is better.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'm sure it can display most pdf's just fine, and if page turns take upto 5 seconds I can live with that.
It doesn't make the reader a bad reader; just a slow one.

Truth is: You can always wait, and get better deals at a later time (see the pc sector).

But here's the thing:
Should the earliest adopters of the pc, and mac, have waited until the perfect computer had come out, they'd still be waiting (as there are still things to be improved upon current models).
and
Should the early adopters have waited, then maybe like the plastic logic, the project would have never lifted off, and come to maturity.
Having a sufficient initial budget is crucial to get some product started.
The plastic logic is nothing more than a concept shown in CES and other technology and gadget events.
If they had at least some early investors, perhaps it would have lifted off, and other readers would have costed way less.

The way I see it now, Ectaco is leading the flock, and setting the standard.
Now all we need is an increase in stock, and concurrence, and prices will come down.
The way I see it is this:
-you have a need, you have no time to waste
-you have the money
-the ereader you buy does what you need, not perfectly but better than others and good enough to solve your problem

Then you dodge the bullet and you buy it becoming an early adopter.

Can you please indicate what exactly JBC does better than other ereaders and in a decent way?
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
I'm sure it can display most pdf's just fine, and if page turns take upto 5 seconds I can live with that.
It doesn't make the reader a bad reader; just a slow one.

Truth is: You can always wait, and get better deals at a later time (see the pc sector).

But here's the thing:
Should the earliest adopters of the pc, and mac, have waited until the perfect computer had come out, they'd still be waiting (as there are still things to be improved upon current models).
and
Should the early adopters have waited, then maybe like the plastic logic, the project would have never lifted off, and come to maturity.
Having a sufficient initial budget is crucial to get some product started.
The plastic logic is nothing more than a concept shown in CES and other technology and gadget events.
If they had at least some early investors, perhaps it would have lifted off, and other readers would have costed way less.

The way I see it now, Ectaco is leading the flock, and setting the standard.
Now all we need is an increase in stock, and concurrence, and prices will come down.
I agree with it. I have jetBook color for several weeks and spend about 2 hours every day reading pdf magazines with no problem for eyes. I wait the firmware update that will be available on March 1st.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #19
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Yeah, I can stay 8 hours a day in front of the screen of my pc, but my eyes go bad. Lots of people say e-paper is trash because reading on backlighted lcd is just as fine.

Well it is not. You can say you read nicely on this screen, but facts are that this is as dark or darker than a Sipix. And it's not the only trouble with it.

For 500 dollars,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Can you please indicate what exactly JBC does better than other ereaders and in a decent way?
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #20
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
Ectaco is leading the flock
Problem is: this is a dead way to go.

On early adopters:
Given that if it won't sell (it probably won't), the firmware will remain undeveloped

you cannot ask people to pay more for an ereader which does not innovate anything, and uses a screen which is WAY heavier on eyes than Pearl and Vizplex's e-ink displays.

These very poor colors cost you big bucks, and wasting such a good resolution. The only way to save this device, would be to ship it without the color layer on it (@ 350 dollars, or 400 if there'll be good annotations capabilities).

Quote:
-you have the money
-the ereader you buy does what you need, not perfectly but better than others and good enough to solve your problem
you buy it becoming an early adopter.
[/COLOR]
Shortly, this is what happened with me and enTourage eDGe. I bought it even if I knew the company was going to shut down after a month. Why? It was the only which could gave me what I needed, and I still use it for work. It still sells at 255 euros from Holland, and there are people who are still buying it.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-26-2012 at 11:04 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #21
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Yeah, I can stay 8 hours a day in front of the screen of my pc, but my eyes go bad. Lots of people say e-paper is trash because reading on backlighted lcd is just as fine.

Well it is not. You can say you read nicely on this screen, but facts are that this is as dark or darker than a Sipix. And it's not the only trouble with it.

For 500 dollars,
So actually in both of your answers you indicate that JetBook Color does nothing better ...
I am curios to hear the reasons that support the statement that "it lead's the pack"

Protecting my eyes was the very reason why I bought M92.
Otherwise I would be perfectly fine with ezPDF reader and Androind (running on an old but good Entourage E or P)
Old 02-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #22
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
-you have the money

Then you dodge the bullet and you buy it becoming an early adopter.

ProDigit already replied on this question here:
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #23
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
ProDigit already replied on this question here:
Let's take them one by one

Here is the top 10 (not listed in order of importance) as to why you'd want to buy this

1- Because it's e-ink, and thus reads better, and has long battery life (although lately cellphones and netbooks using regular TFT/LCD screens have used better power optimizations,and come close to a day of battery use).
2- Because it's color e-ink (a bonus upon regular e-ink).
3- Because price will lower over time
4- Because it's portable and sleek,stylish and modern, and a new gadget, that gets you instant friends and hopefully instant girlfriend(s) (and for some can be a tool to get instant money,cars,houses, boats, and space ships too)
5- Because you look smarter owning an ebook reader, than reading from a laptop.
6- Because it reads PDF, the world's largest library next to .txt files (thus,easy to download and use, especially when having an SD card)
7- Because it can do so much more than just reading books
8- Because it has a resolution that can actually make A4/lettertype sized papers readable.
9- because you want to invest in a developing market (the more investors, the more likely that the product will increase in performance, and decrease in price).
10- Because there are 10 top reasons in a top 10, not 9!

means not the only one; there are cheaper and better devices out there doing the same thing
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #24
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Let's take them one by one

Here is the top 10 (not listed in order of importance) as to why you'd want to buy this

1- Because it's e-ink, and thus reads better, and has long battery life (although lately cellphones and netbooks using regular TFT/LCD screens have used better power optimizations,and come close to a day of battery use).
2- Because it's color e-ink (a bonus upon regular e-ink).
3- Because price will lower over time
4- Because it's portable and sleek,stylish and modern, and a new gadget, that gets you instant friends and hopefully instant girlfriend(s) (and for some can be a tool to get instant money,cars,houses, boats, and space ships too)
5- Because you look smarter owning an ebook reader, than reading from a laptop.
6- Because it reads PDF, the world's largest library next to .txt files (thus,easy to download and use, especially when having an SD card)
7- Because it can do so much more than just reading books
8- Because it has a resolution that can actually make A4/lettertype sized papers readable.
9- because you want to invest in a developing market (the more investors, the more likely that the product will increase in performance, and decrease in price).
10- Because there are 10 top reasons in a top 10, not 9!

means not the only one; there are cheaper and better devices out there doing the same thing
Ok,
so the pessimist says to the optimist his glass is half empty.

Here's my view:
1- E-ink (no LCD, TFT, or plasma (or CRT) to carry around; e-ink is only getting smaller and lighter (screen is about 0.4mm thick soon))
2- Color (no other e-ink color device out there)
3- Price lower over time (There is currently no similar device out there that provides color e-ink, thus color e-ink can be priced at whatever price the manufacturer wants; the right of monopoly. I don't see it as a thumbs down to know the price is only going to drop over time?).
4- I got some gadget girlfriends who would not mind instant loving me for a jetbook Color! JBC brings you where no man has gone before!
5- Duh! E-ink is the coolest! No keyboard is the coolest!
6- Not all readers read PDF or have SD cards. Kindle DX does not have an SD card reader.
7- Most readers can just display books or show pictures. This one can play games, translation, calculator, audio, and in the future browser, and perhaps TTS (just missing an internal speaker).
8- An Absolute need, that is not provided by most tablets and netbooks (due to too low resolution).
9- Without investors,we'd still be developing the first computer,and live in the stone age
10- The only useless item of this jetbook.

If it provides an improvement on most similar products on the market
if it is a useless item.

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-27-2012 at 12:57 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #25
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
I understand some user worry about new tech (even eink found the same feelings and misunderstanding)

I understand the disappointment of som user: they expected something as near as an iPad killer.

But I don't understand people judging so easily.

I don't have JBC (yet), But I belive one thing: In Information technology there is no solution for all problems and situations.
I expect the Jetbook Color is a very good device for the scope it was made for: studing! And for this purpose I decided to buy it.

Last edited by mod186k1; 02-27-2012 at 04:51 AM.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #26
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
I understand some user worry about new tech (even eink found the same feelings and misunderstanding)

I understand the disappointment of som user: they expected something as near as an iPad killer.

But I don't understand people judging so easily.

I don't have JBC (yet), But I belive one thing: In Information technology there is no solution for all problems and situations.
I expect the Jetbook Color is a very good device for the scope it was made for: studing! And for this purpose I decided to buy it.

I you have read all the posts so far you know that no one expected it something similar to an IPad.
Expectation were actually pretty low, only to be hammered.
May be the new firmware will improve things.

What exactly do you want to study and how are you going to do it?
The language modules seem to be promising.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #27
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Ok,
so the pessimist says to the optimist his glass is half empty.
Your optimist below changed the glass my friend. Why don't you keep the original item list and you change the topic?

Quote:
Here's my view:
1- E-ink (no LCD, TFT, or plasma (or CRT) to carry around; e-ink is only getting smaller and lighter (screen is about 0.4mm thick soon))
AGAIN, is it the only one? Here you are leaving me the impression that you work for them.
Is this the ONLY device with this feature? Do I have to pay 500$ for this?
Forget about the B$ "trade your old...whatever"

Quote:
2- Color (no other e-ink color device out there)
For now this is the only valid point. But this is not going to last. Let' not forget about the structure of the reading material. This is useful for people who "look" at something bigger than TEXT. In this case the eye strain is diminished.

Quote:
3- Price lower over time (There is currently no similar device out there that provides color e-ink, thus color e-ink can be priced at whatever price the manufacturer wants; the right of monopoly. I don't see it as a thumbs down to know the price is only going to drop over time?).

Do not tell me that they could charge 1000$ but they are charitable souls and out of mercy they charged just 500$
They charged what they could not what they wanted. You owe yourself at least this much objectivity.

Quote:
4- I got some gadget girlfriends who would not mind instant loving me for a jetbook Color! JBC brings you where no mn has gone before!

I recommend Viagra. It is cheaper I believe and it has the same effect.

Quote:
5- Duh! E-ink is the coolest! No keyboard is the coolest!

Quote:
6- Not all readers read PDF or have SD cards. Kindle DX does not have an SD card reader.
7- Most readers can just display books or show pictures. This one can play games, translation, calculator, audio, and in the future browser, and perhaps TTS (just missing an internal speaker).
This two show either ignorance or blindness.
Both are a blessing in a world where the evil is all over the place.

PS: does it have a radio?

Quote:
8- An Absolute need, that is not provided by most tablets and netbooks (due to too low resolution).
9- Without investors,we'd still be developing the first computer,and live in the stone age
10- The only useless item is this jetbook.
Now if you want to discuss this seriously and to help the sales we can continue but otherwise it is a waste of time and I am going to restrain myself from making any more comments about this device. I for one I understand where the device is. Other than having color and some software for the educational sector the device has NO SPECIAL merits.
The best they can do is to try to sell it in schools where they have an edge.

As we speak the device is dead for reading scientific papers and even the most basic workflow can not be followed using this device.
Sure you can read comics, look at pictuers and so on. The performance is worse than of any tablet, the price is bigger than for any tablet and even in this respect the functionality is far from that of a tablet. Again, the eink advantage becomes a disadvantage when it comes to color image rendering.

The above might change after March 2012 or April 2012. Let's not forget that the entire world might disappear in 2012.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-27-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #28
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I recommend Viagra. It is cheaper I believe and it has the same effect.
Viagra hurts your heart. JBC is your eyes's friend
Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #29
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
Viagra hurts your heart. JBC is your eyes's friend
There is a price (500$) to pay if you want to go where nobody has gone before

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-27-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #30
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
What exactly do you want to study and how are you going to do it?
The language modules seem to be promising.
Program on JBC are of no importance for me. I was looking for a device able to show A4/A5 PDF without zoom the page. 10 inch is the best choise but iRex DR1000 is in market no more

Also there are books where color it's important. For example (and it is only an example) books teaching ligth and material techniques in 3d modeling software. Sometime magazine too (eg. http://blenderart.org/issues/)

JBC has an 9.68 inch screen (fair size) and it has color; it seems promising.... I ask myself: "it's your device"! I'll see I'm wise enough.