Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Thought we'd start this new section off with an informal poll. Not sure how many HandStory users are here yet, but would like to hear about how you are using HandStory.

I have 2.3 installed on my SJ30, and originally thought it would become my de facto reader/clipper/image viewer. Had used iSilo for a long time before, so I was reluctant to give that up, but I did...for awhile! I'm back to running iSilo heavily, but I'm using HandStory for a lot of clips, image viewer, ebook reader, and my default memo program. I've gone back to iSilo for the heavy doc viewing, largerly because of the new version's customizable buttons and it's horizontal & autoscrolling. But I still very much like HandStory's simple interface for doc reading as well. I split the web clippings I do between the two, using HandStory for the PDA-friendly sites and the iSilo for the heavier sites that need more customizing to work well. Been hard to decide which way to go, so I use both! Guess that's why I'm here in this forum! HandStory's direct clip feature is faster than iSilo, but iSilo's custom channel scripting is a heckuva lot easier to understand than HandStory's custom clip editor/script language!

I also just started clipping maps off MapQuest into HandStory, a very cool feature that I'm just beginning to explore further. I now have one less reason to get lost... I'll have some interesting tips on that in an upcoming tutorial...

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Smile

Can't understand why you would use both. I use both PalmReader and iSilo as readers - and as readers they are MUCH better than HandStory, what with variable fonts, smooth scrolling and autoscrolling (which, for reasons I do not understand, HandStory does not supply for clip reading). I do not need the other features of HandStory (memo editing, doc conversion). Since I was having trouble converting some of the Turcic sites for HandStory, I wrote to its developers. I was told that HandStory cannot follow offsite links, that any clip download must come from one site only. HandStory simply has too many limitations for a web clipper. Moreover, I want less, not more, readers on my PDA. PDR
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #3
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Can't understand why you would use both. I use both PalmReader and iSilo as readers - and as readers they are MUCH better than HandStory...
I understand and appreciate your thoughts on that issue. Everyone tends to favor one flavor over another. I happen to like the simplicity of HS as a reader, but do recognize it's shortcomings. I have PalmReaderPro installed to access a couple of purchased ebooks, but don't really like it (hard to navigate around an ebook, IMHO)...but does have the best font treatment. As for autoscrolling, that's a feature I can live without, so it doesn't bother me one way or another! I know lots of people like that feature, but it kinda drives me crazy trying to read along with it (no matter how good it is).

Quote:
I do not need the other features of HandStory (memo editing, doc conversion).
Ah...you've touched on features I use/need alot, so it really does vary by user. The other *killer* thing HS does is capture images and text on the fly for syncing to the handheld. I went out of town this weekend and had a restaurant and a musuem I wanted to see but wasn't familiar with where they were. Jumped to MapQuest.com, entered the address, zoomed in on the map until it was big enough, then right-clicked and saved the map to HS, ready to sync. Opens in HS as an image with horizontal stylus-dragging. Cool stuff.

HS is in it's infancy as a Web clipper, and there's better things ahead for it. Doesn't do the extensive job iSilo does, but in some ways it does some things better. Some readers like the fact it doesn't horizontally scroll, which they consider a great distraction. And then others don't see why that's a concern. HS clipping ability is nicely suited (and easier to create than iSilo) for PDA-friendly sites. I'll be uploading some HS scripts that work well on it, such as the NYTimes...in fact I prefer that site on HS over iSilo. But then I *love* my comics on iSilo...

In a perfect world, we'd have one killer app that would do it all, but until then I don't mind using a few programs that overlap.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 02-21-2003, 07:21 PM   #4
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
I've been using HandStory since the first version, but now make more use of Plucker for regular clipping of news etc, since I find it better overall.

Where HandStory is unrivalled is the ability to produce memos, docs and clips on the fly, and especially its image capturing. I have approximately 300 1:25,000 maps of the English countryside which I use for country walking (downloaded from multimap, free but somewhat laborious - I'd gladly pay the Ordnance Survey for a CD or DVD of 1:25,000 maps so I didn't have to download them). I have free travel on one of the British railway networks at the weekend, so I can just hop on a train without bothering to search for the right map before I leave, because I know I've got the whole county mapped in my pocket. Brilliant! The maps are clear, load acceptably fast (on my 33MHz Clie) and can be scrolled with virtually no delay. Zoom would be nice, but the applications that do have zoom aren't as good in other respects.
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I am delighted that you all have had such great success in downloading images and maps from sites such as Mapquest. I have had NONE AT ALL! Every time I try to convert a map, HS just hangs. On top of that, my Norton Antivirus tells me that it detects malicious script in something called iConvert.exe. What is that? Any idea why this is happening? Thanks for the help. PDR
Advert
Old 02-25-2003, 12:34 PM   #6
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by radleyp@Feb 25 2003, 11:23 AM
Every time I try to convert a map, HS just hangs. On top of that, my Norton Antivirus tells me that it detects malicious script in something called iConvert.exe.
I have always gotten a NortonAV warning...but for iexplore.exe...I just choose "accept one time" and go on. Probably could change a setting in Norton, but it is protecting against malicious scripts, so I just leave it. However HS is doing the script for capturing triggers Norton.

After that, do you see the "HandStory Converter - Image" processing box with the captured image and options, or do you not even get that far? Or does it hang after it displays that or when you click on the Convert button?
Old 02-25-2003, 12:39 PM   #7
radleyp
Evangelist

Sorry, I just checked, it is indeed the iExplore.exe file, which I assume is a HS file. I tried several times doing what you suggest, that is "accept one time", and I do get the convert box. It's when it starts converting that the trouble occurs: it gets only so far, and then hangs. PDR
Old 02-25-2003, 12:42 PM   #8
radleyp
Evangelist

One further note: I set the depth to 1, and have it convert to hi-res color. should I set it to something else, and hve it convert in B/W? If I set it to 0, the file comes out as text, with no map at all. PDR
Old 02-25-2003, 01:43 PM   #9
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by radleyp@Feb 25 2003, 11:42 AM
One further note: I set the depth to 1, and have it convert to hi-res color. should I set it to something else, and hve it convert in B/W? If I set it to 0, the file comes out as text, with no map at all. PDR
Ahhh...I think you're using the wrong clip action. You want the option "save to palm" not "clip to palm." Clip is for text/html, save should get you the converter box which looks like the screen cap below.

I've also opened a new thread to talk about the right-click clipping, so pleas post under that if you continue to have problems, etc. I plan to post some screen caps of things you can use the right-click clips for as well as hoping to hear how others are using this feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-15-1046198633.gif
Views:	762
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	19  
Old 02-25-2003, 01:47 PM   #10
radleyp
Evangelist

I certainly do feel like a fool. I was hitting "clip to Palm" instead of "save to Palm". Thanks for your help. As I have been told more than once, RTFM! PDR
Old 02-25-2003, 02:15 PM   #11
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by radleyp@Feb 25 2003, 12:47 PM
I was hitting "clip to Palm" instead of "save to Palm".
I saved many a text file trying to capture a favorite toon until I realized it myself. Their labeling seems opposite of what makes sense...to me you "clip" an image and "save" a file...but apparently they see it otherwise!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:01 PM   #12
radleyp
Evangelist

I think you would do us all a great service by posting some of your good sites for HS conversion.

And could you tell me why I am unable to convert this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/russian/news/

That's the configuration posted by Alexander for iSilo.

Cheers, PDR
Old 02-25-2003, 03:29 PM   #13
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by radleyp@Feb 25 2003, 02:01 PM
I think you would do us all a great service by posting some of your good sites for HS conversion.

And could you tell me why I am unable to convert this one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/russian/news/
Have you checked out the clips & scripts section here? It's small, but growing.

I tried the Russian BBC, and while it worked, the front page did not have links to the full stories...is that what you got as well?
Old 02-25-2003, 04:26 PM   #14
radleyp
Evangelist

Yes, that's it. It's like getting the headlines, and no backup. PDR
Old 02-25-2003, 05:47 PM   #15
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by radleyp@Feb 25 2003, 03:26 PM
Yes, that's it. It's like getting the headlines, and no backup.
Only thing I can see is that the Russian version of BBC news calls pages in its links that end in .stm vs. the familiar .htm of the English pages. Perhaps HS can't read or doesn't look for non-standard extensions like that, dunno...will ask the HS people though in my next batch of questions to them. Does this work in iSilo?