Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Nook = Tablet

Seems that the newest upgrade will allow nook owners to use their nooks in a limited tablet way....

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gam...iref=allsearch
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Or, you could just root and have fewer limits.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I have yet to see a calm, rational, reasonably detailed comparison of how Nook Color actually performs as a tablet. You save 50% off competing models of similar screen size, like the Samsung Tab. But what, precisely, are the trade-offs?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I have yet to see a calm, rational, reasonably detailed comparison of how Nook Color actually performs as a tablet. You save 50% off competing models of similar screen size, like the Samsung Tab. But what, precisely, are the trade-offs?
http://androinica.com/2010/11/nook-c...-so-so-tablet/
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Depends on what you need a tablet for. Not all people need an oversized smartphone. A rooted Nook Color will serve the average person just fine.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
Seems that the newest upgrade will allow nook owners to use their nooks in a limited tablet way....

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gam...iref=allsearch
Based on what I've read online today and Nook forum owners, the upgrade was not a huge step forward. Capabilities like landscape are still missing from the stock ereader app. PDF , if I read well, were not improved either.

Some users are even giving up and thinking in getting a stock Android Tablet.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-26-2011 at 09:31 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
That article is from November of last year, so it is not the best description of using the Nook Color as a tablet. This month's upgrade to Froyo improved it's tablet functions enough for some people. The Nook Color is also very easily rooted, which unleashes many more possibilities. And then it is also possible to install a custom Android system like CyanogenMod 7 to completely replace the B&N system. CM7 is Android Gingerbread enhanced with tablet features, so it makes the Nook the best tablet that it is capable of being. With CM7, the Nook comes off quite a bit better in comparison to other tablets.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Once you root?

No GPS (you can tether a rooted NC to a smartphone to provide GPS though...app from Market).

No Cameras.

No Mic (unless the XDA devs get bluetooth working better)

Other than that it's basically a slightly speedier Droid in tablet form.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Nook Color + CM7 (Android 2.3) = great tablet for $250. The limitations are as GreenMonkey described.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I still like it the way it is, unrooted and upgraded. I added exactly 3 utility apps to it, and other than that, it still does a great job as a reader.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

it depends, on a non rooted nook color, the trade off is the full access to the Android MarketPlace. in some cases a stronger processor,

a rooted nook, the tradeoff compared the Galaxy Tab would be the front and rear facing camera and a stronger processor., GPS.
But the nook color processor is pretty solid, but the Samsungs is a bit more powerful, but beyond that not much really.

That's why the nook color has been something of a pet project on the Android community.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
They are pretty close, from a user stand point once you ROMed the nook with CM7 you pretty much get a fully functional tablet device. That compares to the Dell Streak 7" or Galaxy Tab.

The areas you are missing is in hardware
- Physical buttons (both Streak and Tab where based on 2.2 where HW buttons where required.
--Nook gets around that by softkeys or CM7 has built in the buttons on the status bar.
- Gorilla Glass. Both Streak/Tab have hard scratch resistant covers nook doesn't
- Better Video card(I don't know what dell has) but the Tab has a much better video card than the nook.
- Microphones for recording audio notes, and making calls.
- BlueTooth(nook has the HW but never implemented the SW)
- Multitouch support. Android OS supports up to 5 touches. Nook only supports two. Most apps are fine with two buttons, but there are a few that can handle multiple finger touch.
- More ports. (nook only has a MicoUSB and MicroSD).
- DLNA support(SW)
- Better touch screen sensitivity.
- Access to Corporate tech support.

The last one is a toss up, I often go to the web before I call on the phone simply because it's faster and more informative.

=X=

This is a good comparisoin comparing Nookie(Froyo 2.2 ) vs Galaxy Tab

CM7 with tablet tweaks. (GingerBread 2.3)

Last edited by =X=; 04-27-2011 at 03:37 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
X's breakdown is a little more detailed than mine but is pretty accurate.

I personally don't find a tablet worth big money. I don't enjoy it that much. My wife has an ipad - too big and too expensive.

I think the only thing I would upgrade to from my Nook Color is another 7" Tablet with a stylus for taking notes - the HTC Flyer looks pretty awesome. I just don't have $500 to burn on one.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
X's breakdown is a little more detailed than mine but is pretty accurate.

I personally don't find a tablet worth big money. I don't enjoy it that much. My wife has an ipad - too big and too expensive.

I think the only thing I would upgrade to from my Nook Color is another 7" Tablet with a stylus for taking notes - the HTC Flyer looks pretty awesome. I just don't have $500 to burn on one.
Yep me too, I really like the HTC Flyer form factor 7" + pen. But the internals are just not impressive, it's only a single core 1GHz running Froyo.

My nook is running at 1.1 GHz with Gingerbread.

I'm waiting for something like the Flyer with a Tegra2 and Honeycomb
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote