Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
hedgehog1
hedgehog1 doesn't litterhedgehog1 doesn't litter

Device: jetBook, Libre Pro x 3
Original jetBook for $89.95 from ectaco.com

I just received an email from ectaco (ectaco.com) that until May 8, 2011, the original jetBook can be purchased for $89.95 with free shipping anywhere in the US or Canada.

It says, "Instant page turns and endless content should be available to everyone so use this code FC6PB3EXSU in the comments section of your order to take advantage of this deal!"

Now I'll be able to get my husband his own jetBook!
hedgehog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Oh that is great! I am really loving my new red one! So easy to hold and turn pages with one hand! nice that it comes with the case, too! (at least mine did)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
That is a good price for someone who wants a different color.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
West Virginia
Enthusiast
West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Augen The Book
I actually bid my price for a jetbook, on their site, just a few days ago. I bid $110 just to see if they would go for it. They did not, but did offer it at 169.95. I didn't buy it at that price but had I, I think I might be rather ticked off about now.

Well, I'm off to the Ectaco site.

Regards,

J
West Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Newegg has the Aluratek version for $80 with free shipping. Buy.com also has them at eBay for $70. I am not sure of the differences, other than the firmware, but it should be basically the same unit.

Last edited by chas0039; 04-30-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
I am not sure of the differences, other than the firmware, but it should be basically the same unit.
I remember in late '09 some posts by guys who had bought a Libre Pro and put the jetBook firmware on it. My recollection is that they were successful, but were then unable to replace the jetBook firmware with the original Aluratek.

Am I wrong about that?

My understanding is that the current jetBook firmware is superior to the Aluratek's. If you can install the jetBook firmware on it, then that buy.com/eBay price is an attractive deal!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
chas0039
Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I remember in late '09 some posts by guys who had bought a Libre Pro and put the jetBook firmware on it. My recollection is that they were successful, but were then unable to replace the jetBook firmware with the original Aluratek.

Am I wrong about that?
It needed a hack to work and had trouble after. I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

Last edited by chas0039; 04-30-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
bookwarm
bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Nice price, I guess they are trying to finnish this model and in a few weeks (my guess) they'll start selling the new models (jetbook! and others, there are videos of them somewhere here).
bookwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Off-topic, but I noticed that the JetBook forum got demoted.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post

Yes, and the Bookeen forum was not!

The funny thing is that the conversation regarding jetBooks has slowed down because everyone is so content with the JBL and its latest firmware.

The mini is a dud on this board, and we'll have to see when the jetBook+ comes out what its sales pitch is. I'll lay odds that Kris will be the first to get a jetBook+ and let us know!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
chas0039
Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Well it was bound to happen. I mean there is barely enough room to fit all the primary readers on a single page!!! And you know, the new computers have left off the Page Down button so what choice did they have but to dump us in the trash. Besides, they had to make room for the new Kindle with the built in advertisements.

This is still my bookmarked page.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought people liked the mini?

What is the Jetbook+ ? I haven't noticed any reference to that.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

booklover, here's a January thread about the jetBook+.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115994

Most of the negative feeling about the mini is because it is limited to txt and fb2, with no DRM ability. If it had the features of the JBL, I'm confident more people here would consider it.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Well it was bound to happen. I mean there is barely enough room to fit all the primary readers on a single page!!! And you know, the new computers have left off the Page Down button so what choice did they have but to dump us in the trash. Besides, they had to make room for the new Kindle with the built in advertisements.

This is still my bookmarked page.
It is hardly in the trash. It is based strictly on the number of viewers and activity. It is possible to get back into the main stream if activity picks up. However, it may attract new viewers in its current location. I, for one, track all the devices in the more eBook reader category but only a couple in the main forum. I just don't have the time to read the posts on the popular ones with so many happening all the time. The demotion actually triggered me to generate several new wiki pages on the Alturek products.

Dale.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, GA. That's exactly what I don't like about the mini. The plus looks good, if it in fact supports 15 formats.