Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #16
Altoanto
tsoin tsoin
Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Not sure I understand Altoano's question about the multiverse. That is the exact term many cosmologists are using today.
I too thought the explanation was good and believable, it's just that it is pretty long with a lot of possible consequences (doubles of yourself, weird alternate universe, time/space anomalies etc..) and came out as if it was a major plot element in itself.

I was expecting a lot more from it than a long introduction to where tachyons (the actual major plot element) came from. Especially since the one-paragraph-long explanation of tachyons would be equally plausible if you just replaced "into another universe" by "to another point in space".

Hence my curiosity

Perhaps one of you who read the whole series can tell me (us) if it turns out to be important beyond the existence of tachyons?

I really appreciated obs20 link on John Scalzi's own comments, it's interesting to see how he sacrificed a bit of his "own voice" to appeal to as many reader as possible, it's planed like a true blockbuster movie! I guess I'm naive to think books are less thought-out than movies in term of target audience, success, fashionable plots/styles etc..

Last edited by Altoanto; 11-22-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Altoanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I loved the book. Recently finished it as part of a Sci-Fi challenge. The humor is really what made it shine.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 05:26 AM   #18
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I gave up on the book pretty quick (maybe I should give it another chance). It didn't help that I'd just read Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan which covered a similar idea and covered it very well. I'm now making my way though all of Morgan's books even though I do find him a little too blood thirsty at times.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #19
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
If you gave up on it really quickly, I doubt you'd find much enjoyment on it, I really liked it from the get go, and that's what keeps me reading anyway.

I've not heard of Altered Carbon, I'll have to look it up!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #20
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Altered Carbon is a must read. One of my favorite science fiction books.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert